Could Nvidia mitigate the mining situation with driver updates for old cards?

biggles

2[H]4U
I remember reading a while back that Nvidia was gimping old gpu's in order to get gamers to buy the newer ones. There was a situation with Kepler cards performing poorly in Witcher 3 for instance. Also, I have seen some synthetic tests that suggest the 780 is actually as powerful as the 970. But because Nvidia stopped optimizing the drivers for Kepler the in-game performance is 10-20% worse for the 780.

So, in theory could Nvidia go back and optimize drivers for some of these older cards? Considering gamers cannot buy the new cards at anything close to retail price it seems like a reasonable request. It also seems like it would be in Nvidia's best interest to not lose PC gamers to consoles or other activities.

I'm just worried old cards are gonna die...then people don't have a choice but to shell out and overpay for a gpu....

The 970 is actually around or above the 780Ti, so a difference of 10-20% to the simple 780 is to be expected. Also different architectures behave differently on a game to game basis.

Should of bought a card you knew was gonna be supported awhile. Pascal is gonna be things of Legends man. I agree they do need to go back and look at that thing though...it was destroyer too of it's day. It STILL is awesome you can SLI it...

It's above it and still somewhere between 970 and 980ti etc

Last edited:
I remember reading a while back that Nvidia was gimping old gpu's in order to get gamers to buy the newer ones. There was a situation with Kepler cards performing poorly in Witcher 3 for instance. Also, I have seen some synthetic tests that suggest the 780 is actually as powerful as the 970. But because Nvidia stopped optimizing the drivers for Kepler the in-game performance is 10-20% worse for the 780.

So, in theory could Nvidia go back and optimize drivers for some of these older cards? Considering gamers cannot buy the new cards at anything close to retail price it seems like a reasonable request. It also seems like it would be in Nvidia's best interest to not lose PC gamers to consoles or other activities.
That was proven fasle by serval outlets. I doubt they would bother with old hardware.

I'm just worried old cards are gonna die...then people don't have a choice but to shell out and overpay for a gpu....

Only if you add features in those driver updates.

Reminder - there has been no generic reason NOT use the current drivers going back when Fermi went to "legacy support" status; the only reason that anybody here at [H] did was to specific-case issues involving driver incompatibilties. (I had, in fact, updated to the latest drivers regularly between Fermi's hitting "legacy" and its replacement (with Pascal). There is still no reason to change that - not with Fermi, or Maxwell of any sort (which has followed Fermi into "legacy"). There has to be a reason NOT to update to the latest drivers - even if your GPU is in "legacy" status.

Should of bought a card you knew was gonna be supported awhile. Pascal is gonna be things of Legends man. I agree they do need to go back and look at that thing though...it was destroyer too of it's day. It STILL is awesome you can SLI it...

It's above it and still somewhere between 970 and 980ti etc

Pascal is basically going to follow baby Maxwell into Legenday status - and for the same reason baby Maxwell got there. (I didn't call Pascal "Maxwell Redux" for nothing.)

It wasn't JUST that big Maxwell (and GTX 1060+) redefined the mid-range at sane prices (until cryptocurrency reared its ugly head) - it was what their respective floors did that REALLY shook things up. (And drivers had absolutely diddly to do with that.)

GTX 1050Ti was (and still is) THE "energy sipper" GPU of its class; the "cannot ignore" factor there is that it can (mostly) be a drop-in replacement for the GPU that directly preceded it, offers much better performance in the same applications and the only reason prices went anywhere is due to ethereum mining - despite this same GPU being unsuitable for it.

That was proven fasle by serval outlets. I doubt they would bother with old hardware.

Well actually, whether deliberate or not (you decide) it was a matter of fact that the first 680 ready driver series capped my 580's 1050mhz overclock down to 1000mhz. At 1050mhz it killed a 680 at stock.

Half a year later, post finally getting a 680, I checked again with latest drivers and noticed the 580 clocks were working again.

Last edited:
Ok how can I say this. The money that Nvidia is making off all the cards be sold is more then what they would make if miners did not buy. See a gamer may buy up to 2 video cards. But with miners and I am saying the bigger ones. They can buy any where from let's say 25 to a couple hundred or even 500 - 1000 at a time. Those numbers are Shute difference compared to gamers. There may be less miners compared to gamers. But miners buy a hell of a lot more. Nvidia is not going to throw that away. Only a fool would.

if they did that it would prove they were gimping cards to make them obsolete, you see how well that works for apple...

Pascal will live for quite a while. it's a great arch and really THE best lineup nvidia managed to pull, even compared to successful Maxwell. I won't be surprised if Volta, or whatever 11*/20* gen will be based on, ends up selling not as fast.

it ought to be clear to everyone by now that nVidia doesn't want to mitigate the mining situation nor is it concerned about supplying fair priced GPU's to gamers (their recent token release at MSRP which really wasn't MSRP was pathetic). Supplies are plentiful and yet the prices remain stupid high everywhere

Back