Could my desktop having the same problem with laptop SATA - XP driver?

dcnv

Limp Gawd
Hi i just recently build a new desktop and all of my hdds and dvdrw came in SATA instead of the old pata. I just wonder if it will have the same problem with those laptops usually have? it's like when I try to install windows XP Pro after all the drivers from windows finished loading I have an Error and in the blue screen. It's just the same with my laptop but i figured it out that I need the Sata Matrix Driver so the HDD can reconize by the driver.
I dont know if anybody got experience about that?
CD loading > drivers loading > the screen with Windows Setup Now > Blue screen ............do i have to do like with the laptop like loading my ICH8 driver thru an external USB floppy?
Thank for the helps

It all depends on how you have the SATA controllers set, and what chipset they are connected to. The ICH8 shouldn't need any drivers under XP, unless you have AHCI enabled, which doesn't really give you anything useful in that situation.

Without the appropriate info, however, such as system specs, we can only make blind guesses.

what you mean by the sata controller setting? i leave it by default , mind to tell me how to check or reset it?
the system is
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
Q6600
2x2gb ram
8800gtx bfg
74gb raptor sata
400gb wd sata
700w ocz
mind to tell me how to setup the chipset back and not having the AHCI enable?
Thanks

If you set the SATA ports to normal (non-RAID) and disable AHCI, you won't need any drivers to load XP. I don't have that board off-hand, so if you aren't sure if the settings, check your manual.

Back