Could it be possible that 7800GTX's price might go UP after the R520 release?

I've been holding out on buying a 7800GTX for half a month now, but now im 85% sure the R520 will not achieve the performance which justifies it's $125 increase in price over the GTX. But if i wait till after the launch, will I get higher prices for the GTX?

No, NVIDIA will want to keep the market - raising prices wuold just piss off alot of people - now would be a time tio lower them a little more so more people go NVIDIA then crossfire. or potentially r520 - but i dont think prices would go down until r520's arrives - Crossfire is not threat to a 7800GTX.

cant wait 8½ days? have to seek comfort here? Buy a 7800gtx now! you should! they'll inflate to almost godly status and you wont have one!

Excuse my ignorance but is Crossfire ATI's version of Scalable Link Interface? (SLI)?

Just confused a weee-bit. :confused:

Yes - but too little too late, they are using last Gen's card - Crossfire wont be worth crap until the r520 is out and in crossfire - possibly in 8 1/2 days :)

And thats when the real benchmarks will surface. To really see what nVidia is up against. :D

MrGuvernment said:
Yes - but too little too late, they are using last Gen's card - Crossfire wont be worth crap until the r520 is out and in crossfire - possibly in 8 1/2 days :)

But wouldn't you prefer they cut their teeth, so to speak, on last generation cards, so bugs can be identified and corrected, for the new uber cards?

Komataguri said:
But wouldn't you prefer they cut their teeth, so to speak, on last generation cards, so bugs can be identified and corrected, for the new uber cards?

The technology needed to be available for last generations cards too, especially since they promised it along time ago and never delivered. There is also an upgrade incentive for previous X800 series card owners, and the possibility of getting people to trade in their NF4 boards for Crossfire boards, in order to run Crossfire with their existing card.

Really, as the [H] article pointed out, Crossfire isn't anything special right now, there won't be any competition against the 7800GTX until R520 actually comes out. Even if it wins out against the 7800GTX on paper, they still have to get the product into people's hands to save face at least.

Crossfire was a paper launch, you still can't find the motherboards in any quantity. ATi's not been doing a good job in the PC market as of late. The really need to get it together.

Big Fat Duck said:
I've been holding out on buying a 7800GTX for half a month now, but now im 85% sure the R520 will not achieve the performance which justifies it's $125 increase in price over the GTX. But if i wait till after the launch, will I get higher prices for the GTX?

Doubt it.

well ive been reading over at rage3d and here that nvidias stock will take a massive hit when this vid adaptor is released. so they will probably have to at least double the price to recoup from the staggering damage it(r520) will do to the company's bottom line.

very truly yours,
politenessman

number 1, all cpus 3000mhz and under, all gpus(my mem/core class), all drivers, all os's
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1253354

nope.. nvidia will be smart to keep the price like it is right now and steal thunder from ATI... i mean if the X1800 ends up being around the same performance, wouldnt u think ppl will buy the MUCH cheaper GTX

I have 2 words for you..... Black Friday.

And it should be a good one this year.

*For those who don't know what "Black Friday" is, it's the day after Thanksgiving in the US and is the largest shopping day of the year. It's also well known for some outright insane deals. I did rather well last year.

perp said:
well ive been reading over at rage3d and here that nvidias stock will take a massive hit when this vid adaptor is released. so they will probably have to at least double the price to recoup from the staggering damage it(r520) will do to the company's bottom line.

very truly yours,
politenessman

number 1, all cpus 3000mhz and under, all gpus(my mem/core class), all drivers, all os's

Nope, not considering nVidia has been selling GPU's. ATi isn't selling nearly as many. They aren't competetive in most price brackets, and don't perform as well as nVidia in alot of those same brackets, that they aren't cost competetive in.

Alot of the would be X1800 customers, have already bought 7800GTX's. Those would be the hardcore, the hardcore with money, and those seeking top performance, who wouldn't wait for ATi to get off thier collective asses and deliver any longer. nVidia has made plenty of money. Their stock won't be hit hard by this. Especially not if the X1800XT doesn't absolutely destroy nVidia's flagship card in benchmarks. Preliminary benchmarks have shown thus far, and based on what we know about R520 now, indicate that it will be a competetive solution, to the Geforce 7800GTX. This late in the game, competetive isn't enough. Especially not when Crossfire has some serious limitations to go along with it.

When R520 comes out, I hope that it can do better than 1600x1200@60Hz. If it can't, it will be a sad day.

perp said:

very truly yours,
politenessman

i want you to think about what you just said :)

$1000 msrp on a card that will probably perform about the same and maybe worse than ATIs flagship card..... no :)

Entropy1982 said:

$1000 msrp on a card that will probably perform about the same and maybe worse than ATIs flagship card..... no :)

Why not? ATi wants you to pay $500+ dollars for a card that gets it's ass handed to it by a 7800GTX that sells for $450.

Seriously, nVidia's stock might see some fluctuation, but I doubt it.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Why not? ATi wants you to pay $500+ dollars for a card that gets it's ass handed to it by a 7800GTX that sells for $450.

Seriously, nVidia's stock might see some fluctuation, but I doubt it.
ok.... are you kidding me? .... first of all... you have no idea how the card will perform.... no one does yet... those hardware analysis tests were bs.... second of all... would you actually pay 900 dollars for a 7800GTX???? lol .... right.... they'll really gain much profit from selling the rest of their remaining stock for $900 to you and..... nobody else

it would make more sense for the price to be higher BEFORE the competing product is released... unless this is some sort of wacky backwards capitalism they're playing

nvidia is just raping ATI in the current high end market and leaving room in the pricing scheme to release a $600 7800 ultra to compete with the $600 r520

why else would 4 of the 8 memory module trace blocks be empty on the 7800gtx? nvidia could quite simply double the ram to 512 and tweak the core to run at 550 mhz. people can already do this with volt mods. anyone who thinks otherwise is just delusional and wanting to be king of the hill with their 7800 GTXs for all eternity. as a GTX owner, i don't care. i want something faster. now!

it wouldn't make sense for nvidia to not continue raping ATI when everyone knows how easy it would be for them to release something with more memory and clocked a ton higher to put the nail in the coffin.

Entropy1982 said:

my post = massive sarcasm
i dont/forget to use smileys

very truly yours,
politenessman

Entropy1982 said:
ok.... are you kidding me? .... first of all... you have no idea how the card will perform.... no one does yet... those hardware analysis tests were bs.... second of all... would you actually pay 900 dollars for a 7800GTX???? lol .... right.... they'll really gain much profit from selling the rest of their remaining stock for $900 to you and..... nobody else

Dude, I was kidding. In no way should you have taken that post seriously. I paid $503.00 per 7800GTX. That's it and that's all I'd have to ever pay at the MOST.

My point was, ATi expects you to pay rediculous prices for a card, performance not withstanding vs. the competetiion. My second point was, that nVidia's stock won't likely even fluctuate hardly at all with R520's release. I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

No one really knows how the card will perform, you're right. I would be willing to bet, that at worst, its a few % behind nVidia's flagship, and at most, its a few % above nVidia's flagship card. Just like always.

Shifra said:
i think you should worry less about horsepower and more about features.

Nvidia has that one sewn up too, unless you just happen to be recording video that is going to be solely displayed on r520 hardware---not something I'd consider a huge market at this point, lol.

ATI wanted 32 pipes and very high clock rates to beat the 7800gtx. They got the clock rates after what, the third tape out, but there hasn't been even the smallest rumor of a 32 pipe part seeing the light of day.

It'll be slower, hopefully they wise up and price it accordingly, so they can maintain marketshare at that end.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Dude, I was kidding. In no way should you have taken that post seriously. I paid $503.00 per 7800GTX. That's it and that's all I'd have to ever pay at the MOST.

My point was, ATi expects you to pay rediculous prices for a card, performance not withstanding vs. the competetiion. My second point was, that nVidia's stock won't likely even fluctuate hardly at all with R520's release. I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

No one really knows how the card will perform, you're right. I would be willing to bet, that at worst, its a few % behind nVidia's flagship, and at most, its a few % above nVidia's flagship card. Just like always.
my bad

Well.... the laws of supply & demand will always prevail.....

Currently there is a healthy supply so the cards are not overpriced. They are selling at the normal price... MSRP at brick & mortar stores and below that for online stores.

However, if the r520 disappoints a lot of people that were waiting / holding out.... and there is a big surge in demand for the 7800GTX (greater than the supply) then the price could go up.

However, I doubt that will happen b/c
1. A lot of people already bought the 7800GTX's.
2. They have been out for a while and the supply seems to be very adequate
3. If the supply does run low, there would be 2 close substitutes... 7800 GT and the r520 (and possible variants - XT, XL, XTPE, Pro, etc.).

Back