Could I have installed the Xigmatek S1283 wrong?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm looking around for pictures of what my case (Cooler Master 590) looks like with components inside of it. One of the pictures I found has an HSF that looks just like my Xigmatek... however it's positioned a bit differently than mine. I installed mine with the fan on the bottom, and since I don't have the power supply yet, I don't know if the fan is drawing air through the fins, or pulling away from.

In another pic I have seen, it looks like the fan is on the right side instead of the bottom. Would someone mind clearing this up for me?

Edit: I'm running an Intel C2D e8400.

Also, if I need to reposition this... do i need to re-apply the thermal paste, or could I just turn it and it should be fine? Will air be pushed through fins, or taking away from?

I'm looking around for pictures of what my case (Cooler Master 590) looks like with components inside of it. One of the pictures I found has an HSF that looks just like my Xigmatek... however it's positioned a bit differently than mine. I installed mine with the fan on the bottom, and since I don't have the power supply yet, I don't know if the fan is drawing air through the fins, or pulling away from.

In another pic I have seen, it looks like the fan is on the right side instead of the bottom. Would someone mind clearing this up for me?
The ideal mounting setup is to have the fan blowing into the fins, and to have the air blowing toward the back of the case. In other words, the longer side of the heatsink would be oriented vertically, and the fan would be installed toward the front side of the case and positioned to blow air toward the back.

To find out which direction the fan is blowing, look at the motor hub (the round thing in the center), and the side of the fan where the support struts are connected is the side that the fan blows out of. That side should be pointing inward toward the fins.
Also, if I need to reposition this... do i need to re-apply the thermal paste, or could I just turn it and it should be fine? Will air be pushed through fins, or taking away from?
You should reapply thermal paste if you remove and reposition the cooler. And you should arrange the fan so that it pushes air through the fins, as I said above.

I have a E8400 with the Xigmatek 1283 cooler, and I have the fan on the "right" side of the heatsink, blowing through the fins. In this orientation it's blowing towards the rear of the case.

If in your configuration you cannot mount the HSF in that orientation, mounting it with the fan blowing "up" isn't necessarily bad. It's just that you would be blowing hot air into the PSU directly, as opposed to blowing it right at the rear exhaust fan of the case.

Another thing for temps with that cooler, make sure you get the optional bracket, as the stock intel pushpins are not the best for even pressure.

Ok, how do I remove the thermal paste so that I can reapply it without a problem?

Should have went with the paper towel. I went ahead and made the necessary adjustments after looking up real fast how to remove the stuff. I used Q-tips and the Isopropyl Alcohol (91%). I went over it a few times making sure I got up as much as I could... I think I did an ok job. I re-arranged everything and sealed up my case again.

Now I'm off to the worry phases... random things that I won't know if there's a problem or not until I actually assemble the system fully. Dropped my screw driver on the motherboard while screwing something in at one point... trying to remove the damn fan from the HSF to move everything, the screw driver slipped and banged into a memory stick... I'm sure they're going to be fine, I'm just super cautious.

I wonder... how much will my temperature's suffer since I moved the HSF, what if I didn't fully remove the thermal grease all the way? When I get everything operational I'm going to stress test it to make sure everything is ok. I'll post the temperatures for both idle and load of the e8400 to see if they're within parameters.

Any applications that you guys know are good for that? I used to have some but I don't remember the name anymore. I know there was one that would stress test the core, and was greatly used when you're trying to OC (which I will be doing after everything is confirmed running fine)

I use P95 to stress test, and RealTemp to monitor my core temperatures.

I get 32*C idle, about 45*C load. This is with 70*F ambient, overclocked to 3.6ghz on 1.264V E8400 C0 stepping, and on a 24HR stable clock.

The only real way to tell if the TIM got applied properly is to check temperatures, or remove the HSF after a bit of running it to see how it has distributed across the HSF and CPU. One thing to remember, some TIM have a curing time like with Arctic Silver. I use OCZ, which has no curing time, and is non-conductive as well, all while performing just as good if not better than the AS5 TIM.

Now I'm off to the worry phases... random things that I won't know if there's a problem or not until I actually assemble the system fully. Dropped my screw driver on the motherboard while screwing something in at one point... trying to remove the damn fan from the HSF to move everything, the screw driver slipped and banged into a memory stick... I'm sure they're going to be fine, I'm just super cautious.
Just use the standard technician's test: turn it on, and if it works, you're all good :D.
I wonder... how much will my temperature's suffer since I moved the HSF, what if I didn't fully remove the thermal grease all the way? When I get everything operational I'm going to stress test it to make sure everything is ok. I'll post the temperatures for both idle and load of the e8400 to see if they're within parameters.
You'd have to screw things up pretty bad to get unsafe temperatures with your components. Your CPU is good to run at full speed up to 100C.

Your computer would probably crash long before you hit 100c

Saying it is "good to run" at 100c is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous at all. I've run my CPU up to 100C without crashing while stress-testing. It's a perfectly safe temperature for these CPUs. The thermal protection features will kick in before the CPU reaches dangerous levels, so there's actually no risk of hitting a temperature high enough to harm a modern Intel CPU.

He's right, the TJMax is 100*C, so theoretically they can run up to 100*C fine. Like he said also, unless you disable the thermal feature in BIOS, the CPU will cut off at a certain temp below 100*C. They design these things with a safety factor.

He's right, the TJMax is 100*C, so theoretically they can run up to 100*C fine.
It's not theoretical.
Like he said also, unless you disable the thermal feature in BIOS, the CPU will cut off at a certain temp below 100*C.
True. However, the CPU's built-in thermal protection is always active, so the CPU will shut itself down before reaching a dangerous temperature, regardless of the situation. CPU shutdown temperature features in the BIOS are completely unnecessary.

I positioned my s1283 both ways. Once with the fan blowing up and once blowing towards the back (heat pipes parallel or perpendicular to core). I didn't notice a difference in temp so I just left it blowing backwards. I'm just not happy with the performance of that though. I messed with my case a little bit and notice that having a chasis fan blowing towards the heatsink/fan setup reduced cpu temps by several degree's, on top of having the s1283 installed. I think from now on I'm going to buy cases like the Antec ones that have case fans up high that blow air across the top of the case/cpu/memory area.

It's not ridiculous at all. I've run my CPU up to 100C without crashing while stress-testing. It's a perfectly safe temperature for these CPUs. The thermal protection features will kick in before the CPU reaches dangerous levels, so there's actually no risk of hitting a temperature high enough to harm a modern Intel CPU.

QFT

IMG_3060.jpg

Wow... now that is a tight fit!!!! Thank god unintentionally got one where the power supply is at the bottom of the case... ample room.

Back