• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Could I be overloading my Antec 650?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
9,778
I have an Antec Tru-Power...650
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc1OQ==

I will spare the system specs in detail but I have:

AMD PII X4 965 O/C'd to 3923 Rock solid.
8GB of DDR3-Kingston Hyper-X 1600 @ 1545 - Stable
Crossfire AMD 6970HD's

My APC UPS digital screen is indicating at max crossfire gaming, the computer is pulling wattage as close to 700watts at times.

I know they underrate PSUs a little but do you think that I am genuinely overloading my PSU pulling this much? It doesnt seem hot when I place my hand behind the fan vent.

What is the life expectancy of running a PSU this hard and a little over the rated output at times?

Also I am going to get a Sandy Bridge 2600K this sunday and I am wondering if I should be considering one of those 1000 watt + PSUs or just stick with this one since SB Cpus pull less wattage due to the 32nm process.

Keep it or get a new one and use this in something else?

Thanks
 
Yeah, based on Anandtech's numbers for 6970 crossfire with an i7, I'd say you are pulling over 600W under heavy load (gaming). I'd suggest looking into a quality 800-950W unit, no need for 1000W+.
 
UPS is telling you what you are pulling from the wall. If you factor roughly 85% (80+ bronze rated PSU) efficiency at full load, then you're only pulling 595w. Which, if you're the type of person who likes to get the value out of things...falls within the range of acceptable for your PSU.

That said, its fair to say that your pretty much pegged...so I wouldn't go running Furmark + CPU burn if I were you :p. As the capacitors age...you might run into issues as well.

A 750w unit will handle that rig just fine should you choose to upgrade. In the mean time though, I wouldn't panic.
 
Thanks for the input. I am probably going to just get a bigger PSU. I am looking at Corsair, I have heard fantastic things about the. Looking at an 80 silver or gold next! So I dont need such a monster that can still put out.
 
I'd say yes, you have too much system for your PSU to handle.

But, it's possible you got a golden PSU there that is underrated and isn't sweating the extreme load you are putting on it.

Run some benchmarks and use a utility to monitor the voltages under extended CPU & GPU loading and see how much the voltages fluctuate. If there is more than 10% fluctuation on any of the voltage rails, then you are taxing the PSU beyond its limits.
 
Your PSU should be fine with that load. Based on the UPS reading, you are not overloading it. It also has proper protections in place, so it will shut down if you do end up taxing it too much. Unless that happens, you don't need to worry.
Run some benchmarks and use a utility to monitor the voltages under extended CPU & GPU loading and see how much the voltages fluctuate. If there is more than 10% fluctuation on any of the voltage rails, then you are taxing the PSU beyond its limits.
Software voltage monitoring is very inaccurate, and large fluctuations in the readings do not indicate anything conclusive.
 
Back
Top