• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Could a controller contribute to drive failure?

djoye

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
3,179
I know this may sound silly and I've NEVER seen this be an issue before, but has there ever been a case of a motherboard-based hard drive controller cause a drive to develop bad sectors or is that not even possible?

I'm just trying to rule this out because I have a user that has gone through several hard drives on a laptop and while I lean more towards the user being too rough with the laptop, I'll replace the motherboard if the controller has an actual chance of causing the problem.
 
I don't see how the controller could cause bad sectors. Bad sectors are a physical issue, meaning that the drive has difficulty reading data from a particular location (actual, physical spot) on a platter.

The kind of thing that can happen if someone beats up a laptop with a spinning hard drive.
 
Back
Top