Cottage connection?

eeeaddict

n00b
Hey everyone! me and a friend both have cottages near each other thought their 10km away my friend has high speed cable available ~50mbps yet I can't get anything I was wondering (if we could somehow get the fiber strung) would it be possible to just buy 2 of These? and getting service at my house (his isp says its ok because of his business package)

Last edited:
setup a parabolic dish and a one watt signal booster, it'll more then cover it

Sadly you are looking at spending a ton of money. Good luck.

Hey everyone! me and a friend both have cottages near each other thought their 10km away my friend has high speed cable available ~50mbps yet I can't get anything I was wondering (if we could somehow get the fiber strung) would it be possible to just buy 2 of these
http:///S0ZxWY and getting service at my house (his isp says its ok because of his business package)
So my question is, is this possible? or would we need different hardware?

10 KM? You'll need either LOS for a wireless PTP, or a lot of money to run the proper fiber. For 10 KM you're looking at having to trench it and going through trees and rocks, plus the fiber gear for that range is costly. You'll never ever get wireless to work unless you have line of sight.

It might be cheaper to put up towers / masts to get LOS for wireless than to run the cable 10 Km if where your putting the masts / towers can give you line of sight and it's not aganist the zoneing laws where you're located.

Yes those converters will work.

The cable alone is going to cost you a couple grand, but the installation cost is far higher.

Unless you own all the property between the cottages, you can't install it anyway.

You'd be better off with Yagi antennas to get this done. However the ground topology is going to be the biggest factor determining success. You're going to need line of sight between the two locations.

10KM is a lot of distance to cover with unlicensed wireless.

If you still want to pursue fiber, contact your local utility and or cable company and inquire about the cost of pole attachments. If it's something they do you'll pay a recurring fee every month for every utility pole your fiber is attached to. Plus they'll probably insist on hanging the fiber themselves which will cost $$$ in labor. If there's ever a cut in the fiber you'll have to contract them to find the break and splice it for you, equaling many more $$$. It's going to be many thousands of dollars to get this done and probably very expensive to maintain.

We just quoted a similar project request and it was $15,000 installed for less than 3 miles of fiber. There are some technical issues driving up that cost, but it gives you an idea that this isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Have you looked into satellite based internet? I would think you would be able to do that for a small fraction of the cost of running fiber.

somebody didn't read the thread :rolleyes:
:p

10km's not that far for wifi, a friend of mine just setup a 150k link from vancouver island over to vancouver it cost about 400$

This
ubnt-bullet-m-3.jpg

and using a dish.

Unless you actually have a plan (and financing) to run 10km of fibre - give it up.

Especially since you're already trying to cheap on StarTech garbage to save $500 on a $15000 installation, that tells everyone that you're not serious.

10km's not that far for wifi, a friend of mine just setup a 150k link from vancouver island over to vancouver it cost about 400$

This
ubnt-bullet-m-3.jpg

and using a dish.

That's with LOS.... you need LOS to do any sort of long distance PTP wireless links. Even 4-500 feet usually needs LOS.

Start climbing some trees till you can see each other. Then ubnt

Look into some 40'-60' towers. They are a PITA to put up, but depending on the trees it should be tall enough. It should cost you about 2.5-3.5k total with tower and wifi hardware.

Back