• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cosmos HDD Cage Stuck.

Eihli

Gawd
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
610
I am setting up a Cosmos case and I have the motherboard and add-ons installed, but I can't for the life of me get the HDD cage out to install a hard drive.

I've even resorted to opening the side of the case, clearing out the cables, and kicking as hard as I can w/ my shoes. So being that I can't even kick the thing out, is there anything that Cooler Master left out of the instruction manual?

I hope I'm overlooking something because this is retardedly ridiculous.
 
I've never been this fed up with a piece of hardware, especially a case, in my life. I seriously want to take a hammer to it and then send it back.
 
Well I got it out. Took me a couple hours and I eventually had to start screwdriver as a lever to force it out. The damage to the bay itself is extensive and is almost definitely irreversibly damaged to the point of non-use.

I'm not sure as to the case itself but the bay did not come out as the manufacturer intended.


Here's the weird part. If I'm reading the manual and everything else correctly it would've been impossible for me to remove the bay normally.

There are two screws on the right side of the case (side that is not the locking mechanism) that were locking the slider in place, the slider being the mechanism the bay is suppose to slide out on.

The screws themselves are only screw ends, the heads are inside the inaccessible side wall. I'm fairly intelligent and I read the manual half a dozen times, these screws were not suppose to be there.

Here's a quick ASCII diagram: you have ]|HD|[ and the ] and [ brackets are the sliders that the hard drive itself is attached to. There is a locking mechanism on the left ] that is suppose to release them. However, on the right [ there are two screws jutting out from the right wall, behind a peice of aluminum which means they are completely inaccessible without ripping it apart. These screws keep the [ slider attached to the wall. It wasn't going anywhere.

I want to take a picture, so I'll probably go find my camera and snap a few...
 
which cosmos model is it?

is this the side vent one or not?

If its the cosmos 1000 there is a screw above eachj of the hd trays

as for the cosmos s i dont know
 
I've never been this fed up with a piece of hardware, especially a case, in my life. I seriously want to take a hammer to it and then send it back.

He has the Cosmos S like me but I didn't have that much trouble. Took some forceful nudging so there are some scratches but nothing huge.
 
McCartney, when you removed your bay tray did it come out with both sliders?

I'm uploading the pictures at the moment, so I'll be able to explain a little better.
 
The tray in my hand was the one willing to slide out without problems. It had a couple locking mechanism pins holding it back, but once that was released it was free to go.

The one on the right is the one screwed down and the green circles highlight the screws. Notice they are screw ends without any possibility of removing them...I still can't get them, or the tray out.

If someone with a Cosmos S can verify that those in fact don't exist on your case then that information would be helpful when I speak to a CM rep tommorow and ask them wtf is going on.
Sorry for the large pic, was the only way to get enough detail.



To clarify, the tray on the right which is suppose to slide the hard drive bay forward out of the computer will not slide. Not 1 mm. It's fastened to that side and it's not going anywhere short of ripping it out.
 
I was JUST about to buy this case, now you have me rethinking this!

I definitely don't want scratches, or worse what happened to you because of a fucking hd cage.

Hm...
 
I like the cosmos 1000 better plus the price is like 80 bucks cheaper

However the hd coolers dont get much cooling...

A soultion is since there are holes in the upper slot you can stick a fan into that and have it blow air into the hd cages

Other than that the cosmos 1000 is a awesome case if you want some pics i can post some? or pm them to you


(Sorry for jacking the thread just thought id state some more stuff about the cosmos 1000)
 
Well to be honest it's probably the best looking case I've owned but this is really sort of comical. Imagine receiving a case with the side door panel welded shut... I don't know how they could screw something like this up at the factory, but they did.

I'll let you know what the rep tells me tomorrow.
 
Eihli, yeah I thought the locking pins didn't matter but boy did they ever.
It's a little force that's all. Yeah both of my side protecting metal panels came out but like I said after you slide it out the first time it's much easier to do. It's not so much scratches but scuffs because it's a nice and snug fit to say the least.

Go ahead and buy the ugly ass cosmos 1000, it's heavier and it's a full STEEL enclosure opposed to a full ALUMINUM enclosure. This big fan cools my 780i qu9ite nicely
 
I looked at the manual, now going by what you said that the right side is inaccessible, there should be holes for a screw driver to take out those 2 screws?

PAge 9, picture 4
 
My five biggest complaints with the S model:

1. HD case device module (Should have an easy slide in/out tray) install. What were they thinking with this design anyway.

2. Not enough room on the inside of the right panel to hide some cable so the panel closes.

3. Better panel locks so the panels stay closed when moving around. Right now the right panel comes off if I do move the case too hard. Think its the cable management that is giving me this trouble. Next time I'll go with a Modular Power Supply.

4. Dedicated reset button.

5. Those two front push in to release (right/left) panel doors to install the optical drives should be a magnet closer, not what it is now. Hear they may do away with the way it is now and go with a magnet closer since this maybe a wear point and fail someday.

Glade I do not have to play with the HD tray often or I would go nuts. Perhaps the next update model case will have some fixes.

Nice looking case and plenty of room inside. Cooling is OK but wish it were more silent
 
The Cosmos S is a nice case, but that HD cage is horrible. I have a couple different CM Stacks all using the same kind of cage idea. For the most part they all take a little force to get out. The Cosmos S cage was already bending in the middle before I even thought of taking the thing out. I knew at that point it was going to be a SOB to get out. I had to go all Incredible Hulk on the MOFO to get it out. Then getting it back in was a real treat. Bad Cooler Master for making that such a pain in the ass to get out. You think they could have done a better job.
 
I looked at the manual, now going by what you said that the right side is inaccessible, there should be holes for a screw driver to take out those 2 screws?

PAge 9, picture 4


That picture is showing the back of the case if I'm not mistaken. These screws are bolting the HDD cage slider to the wall, which is in the front.
 
Alright, there was a picture on page 8:4 that showed screws going in on both sides and how to remove them. However those screws were not intended to be shipped screwed in with the case, so someone who was still on page 7:1 and 7:2 would've been shown to remove the HDD bay.

Without the removal of the HDD bay it was almost impossible to tell that there were screws even there, so the picture on page 8:4 which was showing the customer where to screw the screws in after the installation.

So basically the manual said the tray was suppose to slide out w/ no unscrewing of any kind, and a couple pages later it shows a diagram where to screw-in the screws after you have your hard drives installed.

Cooler Master customer service was pretty good, no wait on the phone and they agreed to ship me off a replacement HDD tray and if the chassis ends up being damaged I can replace it as well.
 
Alright, there was a picture on page 8:4 that showed screws going in on both sides and how to remove them. However those screws were not intended to be shipped screwed in with the case, so someone who was still on page 7:1 and 7:2 would've been shown to remove the HDD bay.

Without the removal of the HDD bay it was almost impossible to tell that there were screws even there, so the picture on page 8:4 which was showing the customer where to screw the screws in after the installation.

So basically the manual said the tray was suppose to slide out w/ no unscrewing of any kind, and a couple pages later it shows a diagram where to screw-in the screws after you have your hard drives installed.

Cooler Master customer service was pretty good, no wait on the phone and they agreed to ship me off a replacement HDD tray and if the chassis ends up being damaged I can replace it as well.

Besides this HDD mishap, how would you rate the case so far?

And just for verification, you do own the Cosmos 1000, not the S, right?
 
Oh I did unscrew them rofl there were 2 screws now that you mention it. I love the panels and no more screwing in its awesome.
 
Dude, i had to beat my cosmos S to get it out, why! i think because it has to weight from drives to push it out evenly. when u push it out the first time your bending the hell out of the metal. when i put the drives in it slip right in.
 
So, it's confirmed that every Cosmos, whether it's S or not, has this HD cage problem?
 
I have only ever built a system using the stacker case a few times, but what the heck are Coolermaster thinking when they design a series of cases that has no space behind the drive bays or the right hand side panel to hide cables without resorting to dremelling the hell out of it, and for the price of the case I wouldn't want to...it should already be there!

Don't know what happened with the HDD bay but I have heard a couple of reviews complain about it being a little too snug.
 
I have to say that I wished they would have given a little more room behind the motherboard for cable routing. Other than that I have no problem with the channel in the middle. It is big enough for me to run my cable. It is a nice very welcomed idea. As for my HD cage. It was already bending before I ever thought about taking it out. Also mine did have 2 screws on the HD cage in the back. The Cosmos S is a very nice case. I do love my Stacker 810 more. I like the Cosmos S more than the Stacker Evolution. I more or less traded my Evolution for the Cosmos S. I'm happy with that. The TJ07 is a very nice case to work with. I'm just not big on the sectioning off of everything. That can make for some pain in the ass wiring management.
 
Yeah its nice to work with, too bad you need to take off both panels to arrange everything lol
 
I think I'm the first on this board to have one Zeth :)
Hehehe.
It owns my now-sold tj07
 
It's a great case and I definitely recommend it, it's just that you have to watch out for those screws that the instruction manual fails to mention. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that you can't see them without removing the other
panel.

This is how I ruined my HDD tray but Coolermaster admitted fault and are shipping me a new one.
 
I saw the screws and unscrewed them but it's still just a struggle since it takes some well applied force.

I wonder if we can get that window side panel I've seen on places.
 
It's a great case and I definitely recommend it, it's just that you have to watch out for those screws that the instruction manual fails to mention. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that you can't see them without removing the other
panel.

This is how I ruined my HDD tray but Coolermaster admitted fault and are shipping me a new one.

Didn't you say that you did damage to the case itself, though?
 
You know it's easier to get that HDD cage out through the front don't you, forgot all about it until my friend reminded me with the stackers I had built in the past.
 
Back
Top