Cosair 520w/P5B-Deluxe: 4-pin or 8-pin cable?

rschissler

Weaksauce
I'm building a new system with the Corsair 520w power supply and Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard and I don't know whether to use the 4-pin or 8-pin power connector. Both manuals say use one or the other, but don't say which is preferable.

Which do I use and what's the difference?

I'm building a new system with the Corsair 520w power supply and Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard and I don't know whether to use the 4-pin or 8-pin power connector. Both manuals say use one or the other, but don't say which is preferable.

Which do I use and what's the difference?

Either or.....but if it were me and the mobo takes the 8 pin I would use the 8 pin. The reason being, while backward compatible with the 4 pin it was designed to take the 8 pin, and yes there may be no actual electrical neccesity it just is a comfort check in the mind in some cases. The flipside is I would use a 4 pin if my PSU only had the 4 pin.

Either or.....but if it were me and the mobo takes the 8 pin I would use the 8 pin. The reason being, while backward compatible with the 4 pin it was designed to take the 8 pin, and yes there may be no actual electrical neccesity it just is a comfort check in the mind in some cases. The flipside is I would use a 4 pin if my PSU only had the 4 pin.

Correct. The P5B Deluxe, I believe, uses an 8-pin CPU power connector, so use that one.

Ok, I'll use the 8-pin. The P5B motherboard has options for both and the manual says to use whatever your PS has. Since the Corsair PS has both and says to use whatever your motherboard has, I was confused. Like I said previously, neither manual says which connector is preferable.

Back