Corsair XMS Pro DDR1... how good of an OC?

EET

Limp Gawd
I've had this Corsair XMS Pro memory (with the activity LEDs on top) and realized I'd never really tried to OC them. So tonight I thought I'd do some more tweakin' to see what I could get. So far I'm running at 231MHz (2.7v, finally found it through Corsair's help forum, 'RamGuy' told someone to manually set their ram to 2.7v, 'cause that's what they're supposed to be at), and if it runs its paces through Orthos, I'll probably step it up a little more. How much is everyone else seeing with these modules @ stock voltages? I'm not sure I want to go much over 2.7, if at all.

Also, my mobo isn't very friendly when it comes to ram speed settings. The FSB I can change in 1MHz increments, but the speed for the memory has pre set speeds (i.e. 100MHz, 133, 166, 200, 216, etc.), so I've had to resort to setting it to 200, moving my multi up 0.5x, and turning the FSB down.

Originally I was running @:
240 FSB
10x multi
4x HTT
166 ram

To get back to the same speed, I had to go to:
231 FSB
10.5x multi
4x HTT
200 ram

That's probably my only major complaint about this board. I can manually edit individual timings but not the speed of the ram (does this come across as a WTF to anyone else??). I haven't updated the bios since I got the board Apr.'06 though, so I might look into that.

I run mine at 234 fsb with 2.8 volts @ 2-3-3-7 on an Abit IC7-maxIII, 3.0 P4c 30 capper.
I have had them as high as 260 fsb @ 3-4-3-8 on my utnf4.
It is tccd memory so more than 2.8 v probably isn't going to do much for you.
If your stock timings are 2-2-2-5 you have the tccd also.
YMMV

You edited your post as I was responding...
Drop your memory divider back down to 166 or even 133 leave your htt at 4 and put your multi back @ 10.

I can manually edit individual timings but not the speed of the ram (does this come across as a WTF to anyone else??)

That is normal for that chipset.
Your memory speed is a function of what your are calling your fsb ( others will probably be able to explain this better than I).
To get the most out of your cpu you will need to run a divider, don't worry about running 1:1, for A64's cpu speed is what matters.
When I used this memory with my Opty 165 I used a divider to keep my memory @ 2-2-2-5.
But if you mess with it enough you will be able to max out both your memory and cpu speed.

But if you mess with it enough you will be able to max out both your memory and cpu speed.

That's my goal. I don't have the 2-2-2-5 flavor, mine is the less speedy one. I also don't have a 'divider' option per-say, so I have to manually calculate the speed of the ram, FSB/200 x ram speed. So, say I'm running 240FSB, 240/200=1.2. 1.2*166=~200MHz. I'll have to go higher on the voltage I believe to run stable at 2.5G, I don't think my cpu's very good for an OC (from other's I've seen).

I think I'm near my cap... So far the best combo I've been able to come up with is 2.5Ghz, ~210MHz memory. I tried setting the FSB very high, running a low multiplier, and low speed for the ram. That rewarded me with a no-post, and I couldn't even change it in the BIOS (holding Insert after hitting reset), and it would open the BIOS menu, but after that I couldn't do anything, had to reset CMOS :eek: If anyone's interested, it was set @:
FSB: 333MHz
HTT: 3x
Multi: 8x
ram: 133MHz
That gave me 2664MHz (higher than I've ever done), and 221MHz ram, which I thought would be a nice tradeoff if I could get a higher OC on the cpu, but no dice. I believe I tried 7.5x (2497MHz), but that didn't seem to work either. After resetting to where I am now (250, 4x, 10x, 166), I'm wondering if there was something I didn't change that I needed to, I may go back and try for the 2.5G combo. Is running that high of an FSB going to render the setup more unstable?

I've also tried 2.85v (highest my board will go) for the ram, but the highest I can hit is 231MHz. I do have the ability to manually set individual timings, would that be better than running them on "auto"?

Back