Corsair XMS 3500 or Mushkin M2 3500?

giarc25

Limp Gawd
Ok, up until recently I have seen people swearing by using the corsair memory. I have started to read however more people buying the Mushkin lately.

What is the deal? Is this basically a personal preference?Or is Mushkin making a better product than Corsair at this particular time? I am working on building my new rig, however it may be a month or so before I can afford to buy my memory. I have already purchased my Barton 2500+ (week 32 :p ) and an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0.

So what would be the recommended RAM for me to put in this rig I am trying to build, and how much of it?

I do not game at all on my PC, I basically use it for word processing, internet, internet messaging, and photoshop every now and again. I dont want to skimp or cutr corners on anything because with a new rig, my computer habits may change. Plus bragging rights mean a lot too :D

Anyway, bottom line is could someone clarify if I am missing something on the Corsair/Mushkin debate?

Craig

Most people are going for the Mushkin Level 2 performance RAM because they use Winbond BH-5 chips, which can run at tighter timings (2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6), therefore allowing for better overclocking potential and performance (lower timings are more effective in the Athlon architecture).

Corsair's newer modules use crappier Winbond CH-5 chips, which have caused problems for some people (like instability).

The Athlon architecture runs better at the lower timings of the BH-5 chips as far as I've heard. I recommend the Mushkin Level II RAM (I own a gig of it myself) since it does use BH-5 chips, but if you're gonna buy some, you'd better act fast. Mushkin's site doesn't have them anymore, and Newegg might sell out soon (since Winbond stopped making BH-5 chips some months ago).

How would I know if it does infact have those chips on it? I am thinking that if Newegg sells out that maybe I can get it at my local Fry's even though it may cost a little more. I figure they probably do not move as much product as Newegg so they may have it longer. Anyway, how would I know if it has the Winbond BH-5 chips or not?

Mushkin Level II Hi-Perf chips are all guaranteed to use Winbond BH-5 chips. The other way to find out is to inspect the actual chips, but the numbers are hidden under the heat spreaders.

Originally posted by giarc25
How would I know if it does infact have those chips on it? I am thinking that if Newegg sells out that maybe I can get it at my local Fry's even though it may cost a little more. I figure they probably do not move as much product as Newegg so they may have it longer. Anyway, how would I know if it has the Winbond BH-5 chips or not?

The RAM wont be rated for 2-2-2-6 any longer if it quits having BH-5 chips. CH-5 can only run 2-3-2-5 stable. The Mushkin lvl 2 will run 2-2-2-5 in most systems and Mushkin is the top performance memory on the market. Its also pretty expensive. The 1GB kit was only $280 on newegg and now its at $300 or higher. BH-5 chips are selling fast so if you want some you better grab them now.

Well, I did some checking on prices and what not and I think I am going to have ot pass on the Mushkin Level II, it is just to expensive for me. As I have said I am not a gamer and feel I do not need such a high level RAM, so I think the Corsair will work just fine. Thank you all for the input and the clarification.

Craig

Back