Corsair VX550W problem?

slappynutz

n00b
I've put together a hand-me-down system for my mom, using some of my old left over parts. Since she was going from a first-gen Athlon to an Intel C2D E6600 at 3.2, it was kind of a big jump. But she also needed a new PSU.

I'd used the Corsair HX620 for a long time with no problems, so when I went to the store I figured the Corsair VX550 would be fine for the following equipment:

E6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz (all voltages stock)
Intel Bad Axe 2 Motherboard
4x 1GB DDR2
Geforce 8800GTX
1 250gb WD IDE HDD at 7200rpm
1 NEC DVD-RW burner, also IDE
and 2 120mm fans in addition to the 120mm fan attached to a Thermalright 120 Extreme.

Not bad for hand-me-downs.

But I'm finding that the system sometimes won't post. The fan on the 8800 normally spins up to full speed for a few seconds, then drops back down and the system posts. However, sometimes it just stays spinning high.

The only way I've been able to get it to post again is to disconnect the DVD-RW and one of the case fans.

Is a 550w power supply really not enough for so few equipment? Or is there something else that might be the issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All I can find on the 8800gtx is nvidia recommending a greater than 450w PSU, which is why I thought the Corsair VX550 would be plenty.

That Corsair 550W is more than enough & the 8800 doesn't really pull much of anything at boot, unless the PSU is defective, the problem is elsewhere.:(

Thanks, I figured it was plenty but getting it to post properly by just removing the DVD-RW seemed really odd. Will have to keep hunting. Seems to be working okay now.

Well, it could be an issue with the DVD drive itself. There is absolutely no doubt that the VX550 is powerful enough for that rig. You could even run it off a quality 350W PSU, maybe even a 300W.

The 550 should be more than enough to power the system. Have you tried a different DVD drive? Does it boot with all of the case fans but without the DVD drive?

Back