Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT Upgrade

So, I'm getting a new camera and I need to up my memory to handle the gigantic raw files I'll be dealing with. I don't know an awful lot about memory - I was under the impression that all memory on your system has to be identical, but I was recently told this is not always true. Anyway, the memory I have is rather old and I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it anymore. It's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145575

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145273

Or any of the PC3200 2 dimm sets from this link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

One note, even though you will have 4GB of memory only around 3.5GB will be available on 32 bit windows. And of that 3.5 GB most single applications will be limited to 2GB so adding new memory may not help the situation.

I run XP x64, and from what I've heard, the bottleneck for image processing in Photoshop is often memory. I think it'd be the easiest thing to upgrade for me, anyway. Is there something else that might make a major difference?

If it's with Photoshop, you can find some tweaking guides online to help you make better use of your system. I'd do the RAM upgrade then the tweaks including putting your Photoshop scratch file on a dedicated HD physically seperate from the drive where the OS resides. If you find you are bottlenecked on your OS drive thruput, you could also try a RAID-0 array and/or and SSD.

It's a matched kit of 2 modules. "Dual channel" has nothing to do with the memory. That's determined by the memory controller and the configuration used.

It's a matched kit of 2 modules. "Dual channel" has nothing to do with the memory. That's determined by the memory controller and the configuration used.

Ah. Well, I just checked the specs page and it looks like my memory is 2-3-3-6 whereas the other one mentioned is 3-3-3-8, which I believe is slower. I was under the impression that in order to retain the speed of the memory I have I'd have to get equal or faster memory.

We have very little DDR memory in production currently. Mixing different memory is not advisable when it can be avoided. If you cannot locate any of the older lower latency memory I'd suggest choosing 1 of these 2 options.

1. Buy 4 matching modules

2. Buy 2 modules and see if they will mix with your current memory. If it is not stable or won't run together, then get 2 more of the current memory.

I think I have some sticks very similar to your Corsairs at home, and currently have these running: 1 x 2Gb Kit Team Xtreem Cronus 3-3-3-8 PC4000 (Micron) (TXDR2048M500HC3DC-M). I'll dig around and see what the Corsairs actually are and get you a part number. I'm working on putting together an i7 box so maybe we can work something out.

Mine are CMX512-3500C2 sticks, matched set of two for 1GB total unfortunately.

Back