Corsair SSD in Real World Applications

This is a great video but there are a lot of things that are not explained. I think the readers of [H] Would love to see some more bullet points on preciecly how this was setup and why this is a fair comparison. Also, they don't do much to justify the cost of 1x $200+ SSD instead of 2x$50 laptop hard drvies in RAID0. I would really like to see some 'real world' scenarios' tested out with more depth of coverage than a simple timer.

2 HDs in RAID-0 would still be far slower than the SSD. A single SSD smokes 2 Raptors in RAID-0.And, you can't actually use that configuration in a laptop so it would be pointless to demo it. No single short video is going to be fully comprehensive and demonstrate all possibilities. It's meant to be very short and get a fundamental idea across.

If they mirrored the HDD over to the SSD, wouldn't there be issues with the data being arranged (for a lack of a better word) in a way that isnt optimised for the SSD's tech? Remember seeing some bench's showing that it's better by far to start fresh on a SD than mirroring everything over.

This is my thoguhts as well, plus are these laptops even SATAII? That said going home is nice, my work laptop takes 10-15 mintue sto load up and a while to shut down as well.

When I look at the vid the ssd laptop seems very slow. It is a perfectly fair comparison laptop to laptop targeting the general consumer market, most people here though having suped up rigs won't be impressed by that speed. For most of you guys that are scratching your heads, putting one of those in an enthusiast built current gen machine offers far greater performance. Itunes, office, photoshop, and a couple other apps, that's nothing. Those programs load from boot in what seems like a snap on a SATAII 4ghz i7 machine.

Last edited:
Who boots their computer constantly any more? :p

yes, this has been a key pooint for me in holding off SSD -- why pay 4x as much to save 1 minute, once week?

There's got to be a better case for this. Gains in other scenarios are subjective and offset by traditional caching and buffering.

It would be nice to see this on a clean windows installation. Obviously that installation has some serious serious bloat for it to take that long.

Yeah, I was gonna say. My WD Scorpio Black 320GB (7200) boots Win7 64 faster than the SSD laptop in that video.

I love my Corsair X64. I have been running it since last November, its its fast. I just wish I would have waited a month later till the Trim bios was loaded on the drive from the factory. Corsair has never released a perfectly working installer, and they would not cross ship an rma for a working Trim drive. I really don't want to be without it for 2 weeks till it gets shipped to another country, and flashed and shipped back.

Also, please note, the drive they showed in the video is the P series, its not near as fast as the X series, or even the new Force units they have out now.

I bought an 11.6" Acer "netbook" with a dual Celeron chip. replaced the HDD with an R60 Corsair SSD (60GB) and reloaded a clean copy of Win7. From the push of the button to being IN Windows is 15 seconds. However that is NOT the reason I bought the SSD. I bought it because it is a mobile machine and I did not want to have a spinning disk while I may be moving around with my netbook. Also when I travel I put HD movies on it and 1080P plays perfectly as does 720P of course (the resolution of the screen is 1366*768). Sometimes we seem to get wrapped up in just one parameter of SSDs without appreciating the whole package and what it can do for the user. For me it wasn't just about bootup speed.

Back