Corsair SF600 600w SFX Powersupply

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by seanclayton, Jun 7, 2015.

1. seanclayton

seanclayton Gawd

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-sf600-sfx-psu,29317.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

600w. Fully modular. 92mm fan.

2. ramPage16

ramPage16 n00b

3. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

eager for reviews

4. medeyer

medeyer Limp Gawd

More interested in how it will compare to Silverstone's line-up.

5. Brandonandon

Brandonandon n00b

Just sent a message to Corsair's Facebook and found out it's scheduled for a Q4 release. Guess we'll be waiting on those reviews. Hopefully it'll be ready by the time the A4 ships.

Screenshot: http://1drv.ms/1MQaJEm

6. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

They mentioned Q4 when it was first shown

7. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

good to see more competition. maybe they'll also have an sfx-l sometime down the road too

8. Brandonandon

Brandonandon n00b

My bad. Didn't see it anywhere in the articles I scoured. Hopefully it's the start of Q4! :) I just want a quiet SFX PSU. It's too bad the fan in the Silverstone SFX makes that annoying noise.

9. CrazyRob

CrazyRob [H]ard|Gawd

That's disappointing, I was really hoping to use this in my itx build in the next couple months :( might have to get the silverstone, just to hold me over.

10. Prizm4

Prizm4 n00b

There's a number of concerning complaints about Silverstone's PSU. I really hope Corsair hits this out of the park.

11. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

It looks really attractive, with a symmetrically placed 92mm fan. I guess they managed to re-arrange the inside to make the fan fit. It always felt strange that SilverStone only managed to squeeze in a 80mm fan in there.

But... what are the odds Corsair launches the perfect SFX PSU? Close to zero, I guess. I am sure it will have some of the usual traditional problems;

• non-japanese caps to save $5
    • low quality loud fan to save $5
    • custom height on the fan (they like proprietary stuff), 11mm or something, making finding replacement fan impossible
    • drowns the fan connector in glue, with an atomic bomb attached, making it hard to replace the fan
    • messed up fan profile (too aggressive, goes from 200 rpm to 1500 rpm after temperature threshold X was reached)
    • messed up passive mode (heard it was passive to 30% load, or threshold temperature?)
    • coil whine (cheap components, don't want to spend $5 to "glue" the coils)
    • suspicious not so easily replaceable fan grill, mounted form the inside (wrong grill pattern can cause more noise than others when air flows through)

12. CknSalad

CknSalad Limp Gawd

I just want Seasonic or Superflower to come up with an OEM SFX psu design. Something tells me that is probably in the works since the SFF market has gained a bit in popularity. In regards to Corsair, the only units worth looking at are the AX series and possibly the HX series. The rest are just above average at best sacrificing quality of capacitors.

13. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

lol aint that the truth :D

14. Malangyar

Malangyar n00b

All I know is I'm jumping ship the moment a better option than the SX600-G becomes available, the noise it makes is annoying as hell. Would be cool if Seasonic came out with an SFX PSU.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  15. gintama7888

gintama7888 n00b

About time Corsair.. wonder if this one will have 7 years warranty like other Corsair PSUs.

16. levan

levan n00b

Is there any news about release date?

17. ehmm

ehmm n00b

Last I heard it was delayed to Q1 2016.

18. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

I heard it was October... But now soon November. Tired of these paper launches and likely 6+ months of waiting.

19. Pat-Roner

Pat-Roner [H]Lite

I want this so bad! Cmon corsair!

Talked with a rep that told me it was still on schedule for a Q4 release.

20. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

Jonnyguru on Corsair forums said they are allocating the first batches for their Bulldog system, but that it's still on schedule for November release. Don't think their Bulldog system will sell, but the SF600 might. Best to keep expectations low, though.

21. enyownz

enyownz [H]ard|Gawd

He just updated that thread and it looks like it got pushed to CES launch date. Why even announce it almost a year in advance. :(

22. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

By the time it gets released, Silverstone will have it's Platinum 700W PSU, without delays I hope. How much of an impact will this PSU have by then ? It should have been sold by now.

23. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

It will definiately be a nice alternative , because Silverstone has pretty much a monopoly on high power SFX(-L) PSUs. I'm happy that another known brand produces SFX. Defineately would love to see a 600w SFX unit from Seasonic or some other variety to open up choices since there are some nearly perfect ATX units out there, however the SFX ones mostly have some kind of nitpick (not blaming them, 600w in that tiny of a package is quite an achivement). I'm afraid though that SFX units are too much of a niche technology, since they only make sense for SFF systems...

24. yolostrats

yolostrats [H]Lite

Well the 700W one is SFX-L and the corsair one is SFX.

I prefer the smaller SFX size if their fan is not too loud under load.

The 700W one will probably be super quiet as you'll only be drawing around half that with any single GPU card, under load. Combined with a larger fan too.

25. 576190

576190 [H]Lite

lol

I own the Silverstone Strider SST-SX600-G SFX and I just love when the fan kicks in, it's like a 1960's Science Fiction B movie! you have got to love that sound...

Otherwise it's performing great.

26. seanclayton

seanclayton Gawd

Any update to its release?

27. enyownz

enyownz [H]ard|Gawd

Nothing other than the corsair forum post about release being pushed to CES 2016 (but thats also an announce release so no one has an idea of actual shipment).

28. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

So January of 2016, maybe in stock/shipping from Newegg by February…?!? I am hoping it is going to be quality components & quiet operation. I REALLY like the extra watts & Platinum rating the (forthcoming) Silverstone SFX-L model will bring, but if Corsair can come up with a really reliable & quiet SFX model, then the lesser size wins…!

29. fenrisx

fenrisx n00b

Hopefully we're still on track for January! I would love to replace the Silverstone SX600 SFX I'm using right now... it's too noisy.

30. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

CES is here, and the SF600 got caught on video.

https://youtu.be/pNGBZln8RMM?t=204

Apparently there is a 450W version as well. Semi-passive feature. Retail in February.

31. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Japanese capacitors, a 92mm fan, AND a 450w version…!?!

SO awesome, looking forward to using the 450w version & saving a few bucks!

32. DrRetina

DrRetina Limp Gawd

Looks awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

33. Malangyar

Malangyar n00b

I'm unsure whether I should get the 450 or 600 version. Using the eXtreme power supply calculator I get a wattage of 354. So I guess 450 should be enough, but would 600 be useful for future upgrades?

34. Smitty2NC

Smitty2NC n00b

35. DG25

DG25 Gawd

"Great Wall"? Who are these guys? Anyway, seven years warranty, wow.

36. MrJekyll

MrJekyll Gawd

So glad I held off on finishing my build. PSU was one of the items I was waiting on, specifically the SF600. Can't wait to see if the February time line stays on course.

37. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

Great Wall is actually one of the largest Chinese PSU makers. They did make many other Corsair PSUs (such as the CS line http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/15/corsair_cs550m_550w_power_supply_review/#.VpUrsfkrJaQ) but were also responsible for the quite good OCZ (now.. Firepower?) ZX line.

Mainly they make PSUs all over the efficiency and quality spectrum.

I mean hell, I remember when people thought Super Flower was a shitty PSU maker and now they make the EVGA G2 line, the Andyson Platinum line as well as a few other very high end PSU lines.

38. Brenex

Brenex n00b

Can't wait to see how this one compares the the silverstone. Here's to hoping it's better, I really wasn't enthusiastic about the problems with the 600w version.

39. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

I wonder if they do ripple suppression via caps on the cables again, just like on the RMx/RMi series. To be honest, I hope not. Really sucks when you do custom cables and sleeving. They should do the suppression inside the PSU, not outside.

40. Damn Dirty Ape

Damn Dirty Ape [H]ard|Gawd

2 months later anyone hearing anything credible?