• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair Rm650i buzzing noise

bobby45512

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
452
My psu has always had a buzzing noise while plugged in but lately the buzzing started getting louder during games and whatnot. I just received the RMA from corsair and it's a brand new psu in the box but it exhibits the same buzzing noise just not as loud as my original PSU. Is this common for a PSU to make a buzzing noise? (I'm assuming it's coming from it's transformer)
 
The RMi PSUs should be dead silent in idle operation....and it takes some power draw to get them to even turn their fan on
 
You are correct except I'm not talking about the fan, I'm talking about the buzzing noise coming from where the plug connects to the PSU. The buzzing noise drives me nuts no matter how faint it is.
 
Is the plug seating fully? Swapped IEC input cables? Have you had the power to/in your house scoped?
 
It shouldn't buzz - RMA it. It's probably inductive coil whine or something bad in the grounding, I don't know that modern PSUs have a transformer that's big enough to really audibly buzz.
 
Dang, time for another RMA. Could there be another cause? Could the power coming from the wall socket cause it from variances or fluctuation?
 
Coil whine. You're likely someone sensitive to coil whine, and that particular PSU gives off coil whine right at the frequency you're sensitive to. It is random, and caused by a multitude of uncontrollable factors, including GPU, motherboard, etc.

The question I would as is that are you sure the coil whine comes from the PSU? It might be coming from the GPU or motherboard.
 
Coil whine. You're likely someone sensitive to coil whine, and that particular PSU gives off coil whine right at the frequency you're sensitive to. It is random, and caused by a multitude of uncontrollable factors, including GPU, motherboard, etc.

The question I would as is that are you sure the coil whine comes from the PSU? It might be coming from the GPU or motherboard.

I'm certain because I plugged in the new reeplacement out side of the case before installing it and could hear the faint buzz. I had a evga video card that had coil whine and that was more of a high pitched noise and drove me mental. I am extremely sensitive to such sounds.
 
Back
Top