Corsair RAM Fan

Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
2,474
Is this actually necessary for overclocking the Dominator series of RAM? I have it, but I disabled it due to noise and vibration. Thing is freakin annoying! You know when two or more fans are out of sync and you get that "pulsating" sound/vibration? That's exactly what I'm experiencing with this fan. Who knew that three tiny fans can cause such a racket.

So currently I have it attached but unplugged since my system is not currently overclocked and I'm running in an air conditioned room. If I do decide to overclock, do I really need to hook this thing up? Or will the RAM be fine on it's own with its super duper heat dissipating fins?

Or maybe I should install a fan speed controller for these things?

Comments/suggestions?
 
i used the ocz ram cooler with a fan controller and it worked fine...dont know how much benefit there is though.
 
Depends how much you plan on overclocking the RAM. If you've got decent airflow in your case you should be fine under most circumstances without using the fan module.
 
I have one, and it might help a little. Just one thing to plug in. I noticed a little increase in overclockability.
 
I installed the OCZ ram cooler when I went from 2 DIMMs to 4. With 4, the temps were too high and the memory was unstable. With the cooler, the temps came down quite a bit and the memory was stable. I don't remember the temps before and after, but they were measureably different. This without OC.
 
+1 for the OCZ unit here too. It definitely makes a difference and it looks pretty sweet too, although my RAM isn't too bad looking either and sometimes I wish I could see it. :) My OCZ unit is hooked up to my fan controller, but only because I had a free channel and there was no reason not to - it stays on max all the time and doesn't make too much noise. If the Corsair variety is giving you noise troubles I'd say put it on a fan controller if you have one and see if that makes a difference. Even with the speed turned down it should help keep your RAM a little bit chillier, which is a good thing in any case whether you OC or not.
 
If not your too concerned about looks just ghetto mount 120mm fan over your sticks. Crucial ballistix(all) run hot so it is recommended.
 
I'm using my corsair fan, since I'm watercooling, I have the fan plugged into one of the fan headers that I can control via software, so I don't run the fans at 100%, helps cut down the noise.
 
i have it and i think it sticks out too much from the mobo and interupts the airflow going straight from the front to the rear. it's also blocking half of my zalman cnps9500 which is pointing to the rear. I'm not sure whether or not to remove it because of this
 
Those OCZ Reaper deals have a passive system that might be better. I don't know, but it's a suggestion.
Right now the Reaper and the Dominator pcs are essentially the same price for 1066 Hz flavors.
 
Back
Top