Corsair PSUs

I just bought a HX1000 from zipflyzoom for $209, with a $20 mail in rebate ($189 total). For some reason Newegg is selling it for $50 more. Looking forward to using this PS in the new crossfire rig I'll be building shortly.

I have a HX620 and a HX520 and love them. All my psu purchases from now on will definitely be from Corsair.

just remember though; as seen by Antec and their abandoned high quality Trio Power ....... once the knife gets too sharp and the product is crippled; "even a god king can bleed"

Just to follow-up on my above post, Corsair did contact me promptly after I notified them of the problem & they issued an RMA right away for my dead 620HX.

I'll be shipping it out today (unfortunately they are in CA and I'm shipping from PA :( ) & I will post back how quickly I receive another unit.

To follow-up with my above (and other) post(s), I received the replacement 620HX a short while ago.

I started by testing it using the procedure Corsair recommends on their web site. The procedure is as follows:

You can easily test a power supply for functionality with a simple paperclip. First, disconnect all the cables from your motherboard and other devices, but leave the power supply plugged into the wall. Next, bend the paperclip until you have a U shape. Find the 24-pin ATX connector and plug one part of the paperclip into the socket where the green wire ends, and the other end into the socket where a black wire ends. Make sure the power switch on the back of the PSU is on, (should be the I symbol) and the fan should spin up. If it doesn’t, your power supply may be bad.

The replacement psu fan spun right up, so I removed the Thermaltake TR2 RX-550 I was using temporarily & swapped in the Corsair.

I'm happy to report it works just fine. :cool:

As a side-note, I chose not to return the unit directly to Corsair. I returned it to the original vendor as they provided a pre-paid UPS shipping label so the shipping was free.

Both Corsair & the vendor I purchased the psu from are located in Fremont, CA so transit time to/from for the replacement psu would have been the same.

Well my happiness was short-lived. :mad:

I spent about an hour surfing the web/checking Email after installing the replacement Corsair psu with no issues.
Turned off the PC & went out for several hours.
I then came home and played some UT3 online for another hour or so without issue.
Exited the game and went to open my Email & my PC just turns off. :rolleyes:

I tried to turn my PC on & it does nothing. Let it sit for a few minutes & still won't turn on.

Pulled the side panel off, unplugged the cord & then plugged it back it. Nothing.

Tried to turn it on again after 15 minutes or so and it actually EXPLODED inside! :eek:

I just about shat my paints to say the least - I've never seen anything like that except for those videos a certain
psu company posted on [H] a while back (can't remember which psu company it was off the top of my head).

To say that I'm now officially disappointed in Corsair Power Supplies would be an understatement. :rolleyes:

The company that made those videos was Corsair.....

Before pointing at the PSU as being the culprit (not saying it isn't) the chances of 2 bad PSUs in a row are pretty slim, espcially being that one was DoA and next exploded.

A PSU actually going bang is normally due to being overloaded, so you might want to check out all your components to make sure one of them didn't lead to your issue.

The company that made those videos was Corsair....

WOW - now that's ironic to say the least.

Before pointing at the PSU as being the culprit (not saying it isn't) the chances of 2 bad PSUs in a row are pretty slim, espcially being that one was DoA and next exploded.

A PSU actually going bang is normally due to being overloaded, so you might want to check out all your components to make sure one of them didn't lead to your issue.

While I can't completely disregard your comment that something else may have killed the 2nd psu, I will say that the exact same PC worked great for 3 weeks or so with a lower-wattage psu (550 watt) that's not as efficient as the Corsair.

My system specs are also very modest with no power-hungry video cards or multiple hard drives. I also don't overclock my CPU or video card.

The 1st Corsair psu was DOA & didn't work in a completely different PC - I hadn't even received all of my components yet for the PC in my signature.

Back