Corsair PSU Line.

Cyane

Limp Gawd
It hit me today, Corsair has no Modular PSUs in the high-end/high performance desktop bracket. The highest wattage desktop/mid-tower in the modular design is the HX620, after that it's the HX1000. What was the reasoning behind not releasing modular PSUs in the 650w to 850w range? I would've went with Corsair if it had a modular PSU in this bracket, but I suppose the Enermax Infiniti 720w will do just as well.

For a long time they didn't even have the 750 or 850watt models because they didn't think they were necessary, so they probably just don't think people looking for a PSU at the 750tx prices want modularity over quality. Corsair at least picks quality first, then price, and how pretty it is comes last.

It hit me today, Corsair has no Modular PSUs in the high-end/high performance desktop bracket. The highest wattage desktop/mid-tower in the modular design is the HX620, after that it's the HX1000. What was the reasoning behind not releasing modular PSUs in the 650w to 850w range? I would've went with Corsair if it had a modular PSU in this bracket, but I suppose the Enermax Infiniti 720w will do just as well.

Give it time, I am sure they are aware of the holes in their product lines.

Part of it comes from what they can buy, I'm sure. Corsair doesn't make power supplies. Very few companies actually make power supplies. So what happens is they have to shop around, find a design they feel is good, and then customize it. So if there aren't any products in a given range that they like, then they can't really do anything.

Also, Corsair is extremely conservative in their ratings with their HX line. I doubt the HX620 is actually a 620 watt power supply. It is more likely based on a 650 or 700 watt Seasonic PSU (Seasonic makes the HX520 and 620). Likewise the HX1000 looks like a 1200 watt CWT PUC powersupply to me. With their HX line their power rating means "This PSU will output this much power, at 50 degrees C and will do so continuously without failure."

Then there's the simple fact that they are new in the PSU game. Only a couple years ago the HX 520 and 620 were all you could get. They started out in the area they felt they'd get the best sales and have moved on from there. You don't succeed by spending a ton of money up front and rolling out too many products. You do it slowly and build up.

Finally there's the simple question of why would you need one? Why not just get the 1000watt PSU if the 620 isn't enough? There really aren't many normal systems the 620 won't handle fine. So if you need more you fall in to one of three categories:

1) You like plenty of headroom. This would be where I am. The 620 is fine for your system, but you want to make sure you are under 50% usage for efficiency reasons, and just because you like to over engineer. In that case, get the HX1000 (I did). That way you've got plenty of headroom, and you are much less likely to need to upgrade your PSU any time soon.

2) You have an extremely high end system that actually can use 600+ watts when loaded. In that case, get the HX1000. You don't want to get something like a 700watt PSU, as you are still operating it near its limits, and what happens if you are wrong about your consumption numbers? Get something with some actual breathing room, especially since if you have systems that high end, it is entirely possible you'll upgrade something, and then need to upgrade the PSU again.

3) You are getting your "What kind of PSU you need" numbers from a place that counts on PSUs sucking. In that case, don't worry about it, just ignore what they say. Many places severely overstate the size of the PSU you need. The reason is that there are lots of cheap PSUs out there that won't do even near what they claim. They'll say they are "500 watt" but what that really means is "500 watts but only for 5 minutes and only if you can keep the air temperature below 20 degrees C." In reality you wouldn't want to load said PSU past maybe 200 watts. So you get places that overstate power needs to compensate for that. Well don't worry, as Corsair PSUs do what they claim.

I'm not saying it would hurt for them to release more modular supplies, just that there isn't a major reason for them to do so. I don't see that big a need for PSUs bigger than 600 watts but less than 1000 watts. 600 is plenty for pretty much any normal system, even a pretty high end one (a quad core with a GTX 280 uses less than 600 watts). Higher end than that? Well you are high end anyhow, go high end on the PSU too.

Back