Corsair Performance Series™ Pro 256GB SSD Review @ [H]

The avalanche of benchmark results does not make it easy to understand the real value of the SSD.
Even more confusing is that, in that case, the Performance Pro seems to be below the competition most of the time, or on a par, or only slightly better.
There are few benchmark tests where it seems to shine, it is not immediately visible that (or if) they count more than the others.

In addition to the detailed results, a summary of the few tests that best represent each benchmark suite would be great, instead of having every single test, which probably results in unnecessary redundancy. Something like:

Benchmark test - Max Note - SSD#1 - SSD#2 - SSD#3
BMK1 TST1 - 2000 - 40 - 45 - 36
BMK1 TST2 - 1000 - 61 - 80 - 48
BMK2 TST1 - 2000 - 25 - 24 - 28
BMK4 TST1 - 1000 - 12 - 10 - 8
TOTAL -10000 - 225 - 270 - 190

Or even better, replace the names of the benchmarks and tests in the summary by readable names such as "Average sequential write in Steady State" or whatever is important for SSDs, made up from one test or a compilation of several tests from one or several benchmarks.

The summary table could even adjust the max factors to view the results for different types of SSD usages, such as choosing from a drop-down list of "Main Windows 7 OS and apps", "SQL 2012 database server", "Web Apache x.xx Linux y.yy server", "Media server", with the latter giving for instance more importance to the results for sequential reads.

Using large max numbers such as 1000 or 2000 allow for future software and hardware improvements. For instance, on a 1000 scale, a rate of 500Mb/s could be rated 20/1000.
Any technological advance makes it easy to adjust such ratings automatically. For instance, if an old SSD has a "20/1000" rating on Windows 7, and Windows 8 is known to improve the score by a factor of 1.5 on new SSDs, the table could display the adjusted score as "30/1000 (*)", with the asterisk pointing to a "Adjusted but not retested" text.

The same kind of comparative table for technical specs and prices would be great for the Intro too, with number of chips, capacity, die, RAM, dimensions, etc.

Actually, what I find most missing when you want to choose a SSD, a CPU, a video card, etc. is that there is no such tables comparing all SSDs or CPUs that are currently on sale, with a way to sort them based on the highest performance or cheapest price dynamically from the same table.
I just can't memorize every single generation or differences between brands and models, and the benchmarks here or on other sites will compare just a few at a precise time. Two months later, the benchmark is made obsolete by new models, so you'd have to read through several benchmarks and evaluations to buy a bloody drive. There has to be a simpler, easier and less nerdy way to make such purchase decisions.
We need some kind of hardware database that we can consult or use to build automatically specific configurations such as "Smallest silent computer", "Game rig", etc. from the set of best matching parts.

I found a lot of grammar mistakes and typos or doubled words from the Intro to the Conclusion, even now, please have the text proof read manually, not just by a spell-checker, this makes it look unprofessional.

Honestly. I own 2 of the Performance Pros 256's.

I did not buy them because of this review, I already had them. but it made me read it.

One thing I did not see were any talk about its advanced garbage collection abut this drive.
Basically refreshing this (and the Plextor sister drive) back to an almost "trimed" state on OS's that do not support trim (I use these drives for ESXi Datastores).
I also was using one as a cache drive for unRAID (slackware) and it took hundreds of gigs a day written and erased from it at close full speed over 10GBe.

Also i did not see mention that these drives will natively garbage collect while in RAID. Again refreshing the the drive to almost "Trimed" state.

That is the Pro of these drives.. they do have some differences then the everyday SSD.

I can beat them up and fill them up and delete all of the data and these things are still as fast without trim as my M4's after they have been trimed.

The SNIA methodology is the basis of our steady state testing, and several concepts and approaches are actually used from the spec to conduct the tests. (128 k fill twice, measurement of steady state)
Incompressible data is key for conditioning and static data as well, i definitely agree there!
there are currently two 'classes' for SNIA testing, which is enterprise and consumer. Enterprise being much more rigorous. The SNIA specs are unfortunately not 'complete' yet.

Yes, I saw that, although not until I woke up this morning! (late night...) Was very pleased to realize I overlooked that fact. Overall you definitely did your research. Glad to see this site getting into the SSD fold, it's dynamic stuff. I can't speak to any of the proposed layout changes (colors, table formatting), but good job on the whole, and thanks for being directly involved in the feedback process (very important with often head-scratching ssd questions).

I purchased some Performance Pros 128s and 256s after seeing reviews showing off their trim-like garbage collection and 32nm NAND. I intended on using them as esxi datastores (no trim yet) as Plastikman mentioned and assumed Corsair would keep with 32nm NAND which ought to offer more resilience to write erase cycles compounded by garbage collection.

The [H] review states: "The Performance Pro does have higher power consumption than the other SSDs in the field, as our sample does have the 32nm NAND. There are newer versions of the Performance Pro shipping with 24nm NAND, which consumes approximately half the power under heavy load."

What is the source of info on these shipping with 24nm NAND and/or is there any way to identify NAND 24nm vs 32nm of new sealed in box drives?

The rear of the box has an opening to view the drive label's part number, possible serial number, and some string below a check in circle symbol. This string on my 128s and 256s is either N136 or N17653, irrespective of the size.

Last edited:
What is the source of info on these shipping with 24nm NAND and/or is there any way to identify NAND 24nm vs 32nm of new sealed in box drives?

The rear of the box has an opening to view the drive label's part number, possible serial number, and some string below a check in circle symbol. This string on my 128s and 256s is either N136 or N17653, irrespective of the size.

sorry i was on phone i forgot to mention how to check whether it's 24 or 32nm.. just check S/N or rear box numbers,

12XX > new 24nm, 11XX> old 32nm.. i dont think you can find any PP w 32nm on retail anymore.. last two numbers on box and drive may differs one or two digits but manufacturing year is enough to detect whether it is 24 or 32 nm..

BTW not that only NANDS are different, but also newer drive(256GB) comes with a newer revision of Marvell 9174 controller with BLD2 stepping, while older ones uses BKK2.. To sum up older PP is faster than Plextors M2S and very similar nands and controller wise.. Newer version is faster than M3S and on par or tad slower than M3P..

This a perfect example of newer drive, just compare it to 32nm.. newer is a bit faster on Seq and 4K reads.. idk why it has higher latency on reads but even i can get lower than that with my sata2 setup, so it must be a random glitch..

Last edited:
Simply using easily distinguishable different base colors has always worked fine for my tastes. I'm looking less for aesthetics and more for easily digestible data.

;)

Great, but I do not know what that means to you, gimme a picture please. And yes, I do understand that you care only about the data, but we have a business here and there are lots of folks that look for professionalism and branding in the content, so just throwing up a stock Excel template is not acceptable in today's market.

Back