Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, or Mushkin

kumarpr2

n00b
Asus a8n sli
3500+ 90nm
Thermalright sp-120
6800gt pci-e, (if I can ever find a retailer that has one in stock at a decent price)

I wondered if any of these ram kits would be adequate for my system.

Corsair TwinX1024 PC3200XL Pro: $274
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2: $269
Kingston HyperX 1 GB KHX3200UL DDR: $238
Mushkin PC3200 Level II Black: $233

When it comes to actual fps will paying the premium for OCZ and Corsair make much of a difference? If fps only increases by a frame or two that isn’t something that I would notice all that much but if I can get an increase of around 10 or more then I can see paying the premium.

Also would I get better performance if I went with faster ram then pc 3200 even though they have higher latencies?

Thanks in advance for all and info you guys can provide.

any low latency PC3200 is most likely TCCD memory...so it dosnt matter...by low i mean 2-2-2-5@400MHz

All four that I have listed ar rated at 2-2-2-5. With that siad can I save money and go with Mushkin?

Also do they all perform the same when oced?

Well, at the moment my Corsair XL XMS is running @ 460MHZ @ 2.9v @ 2-2-2-5. I love it I love it I love it

xyoufailmex said:
Well, at the moment my Corsair XL XMS is running @ 460MHZ @ 2.9v @ 2-2-2-5. I love it I love it I love it

hey same as me...262Mhz 2-2-2-5....

but seriously, anything right now that is rated 2-2-2-5 is bound to be samsung TCCD chips. So go with the cheapest...i belive there is some lowend kingston (real cheap that was comming with it for a wile too..

With prices varying from $219 for the patriot ram to around 280 for the Corsair stuff why the great price difference.

It seems like the only difference between brands is the heat spreader and the lights that come with the Corsair.

Can any give me a logical reason to spend 270 or 260 for Corsair or OCZ? If the “guts” are all TCCD for all the 2-2-2-5 ram kits then why would anyone pay the premium for then other then for the sole fact of buying a name brand?

Are the warranties with OCZ or Corsair better? Do they have better tech support or do they just spend more on marketing?

RAutrey said:
You are basically paying for a name/reputation.

And reputations are built on quality and service. I had 1GB of 3700EB OCZ memory. It worked great for a long time, but I upgraded to a new motherboard that is undervolting a little and it wouldn't work as well as it did before.

No problem, OCZ replaced it with the hot new TCCD sticks and I'm in great shape. With most manufacturers I would have needed to sell the RAM and buy new stuff.

That's why they have a great reputation.

B

xyoufailmex said:
you mean 230mhz, no system ram can do 430mhz.. even ddr2 hasn't quite made it there yet.
video memory on the other hand.. hehe, i want that stuff in my system ;)

and to answer the original question, go with the ocz, it owns everything else in that list

(cf)Eclipse said:
you mean 230mhz, no system ram can do 430mhz.. even ddr2 hasn't quite made it there yet.
video memory on the other hand.. hehe, i want that stuff in my system ;)

and to answer the original question, go with the ocz, it owns everything else in that list

how can you say is ownz more than other if its all the same damm thing?

I(illa Bee said:
how can you say is ownz more than other if its all the same damm thing?

because not all ram is created equal. Just because they use the same samsung chips, doesn't mean they'll perform the same.. The manufacturer has alot to do with the end performance in how they implement the PCB, and SPD programming.. This is why the OCZ Platinum 3200 Rev 2 outperforms all the other TCCD sticks. it has the fastest performance at stock, and oc's typically more than the rest..

anandtech's TCCD comparision on A64

go check out anandtech's tccd roundup, the OCZ tops the charts, while corsair was at the lowest.. This is why corsair is releasing a rev 2 of their 3200 TCCD sticks, with a new pcb. the original stuff got seriously outperformed..

new corsair revision

Barnaby said:
because not all ram is created equal. Just because they use the same samsung chips, doesn't mean they'll perform the same.. The manufacturer has alot to do with the end performance in how they implement the PCB, and SPD programming.. This is why the OCZ Platinum 3200 Rev 2 outperforms all the other TCCD sticks. it has the fastest performance at stock, and oc's typically more than the rest..

anandtech's TCCD comparision on A64

go check out anandtech's tccd roundup, the OCZ tops the charts, while corsair was at the lowest.. This is why corsair is releasing a rev 2 of their 3200 TCCD sticks, with a new pcb. the original stuff got seriously outperformed..

new corsair revision

the good ones are on the brainpower PCB right?

For the most part.. which I know OCZ uses.. pretty sure G-SKill, and PQI are too..

cool...

well on another note...this is what a TCCD owner can look forward too...i havent tried to lower my timmings yet... im really looking to find 2.67 stabel...then timmings..

KillaBee-267Mhz.JPG

I've heard OCZ tends to overclock and perform the best.

In any case, I doubt you'll see any real noticeable difference in the 4 different rams.

Adam.

No, actually I mean my RAM is running at 460 MHz.... my FSB is 230MHz..... Double Data Rate... anyways...

KillaBee, I envy you... I'm still hovering at 3.7K on my RAM benchmark, thats with 2-2-2-5 timings and 230MHz... Didnt realize timings made that big of a difference?

And no, you aren't just paying for a brand, you ARE paying for performance, and a warranty. with Corsair RAM.... I feel secure knowing I have a lifetime warranty on my RAM. Corsair has a great rep, and a friend of mine even fried two sticks and they replaced them both, even though it was his fault.

Back