Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB SSD Review - The Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB and its LAMD Amber controller represent the next generation of high capacity SSDs. Typically large SSDs suffer performance degradation compared to smaller counterparts, and today we test the Neutron GTX with its Toshiba Toggle NAND to see if this holds true with Corsairs next generation controllers.

Nice review. I love that SSD's are getting bigger, but $559.99 for 480Gb's of storage is hard to justify for those on a budget. I'll stick with my 120GB SSD and two platter drives for storage until prices drop.

Although the Hyper 3K is a lower performing product it is pretty freakin' close to the magical $1/gig number. The lower capacity SSD drives have been below that for some time but the high capacity drives have always been pretty expensive.

the price link you list on amazon has it at 499 vs 599 not sure if thats typo or actual sudden price change.

only has 1 review 1 star rating

Cheers

available at

K, for some reason, Hardocp is owned by the chinese goverment, so forums are censored. drive is available at NC1X.com (replace 1 with i to bypass hardocp's censorship) for $549.18 CAD

Last edited:
The numbers you have from the Vertex 4 seem a little low. I have two of them, one 128GB and one 256GB, and for me they're faster than what you show here. Granted, they're still slower than the Neutron GTX, but they're faster than what you show. Perhaps it is because I use an enterprise level raid controller with 512MB of cache for them, but the Intel controller shouldn't be that much slower.

I am really looking forward to the price dropping on these larger drives. 559 is still a hefty price compared to 2 240g

the price link you list on amazon has it at 499 vs 599 not sure if thats typo or actual sudden price change.

Cheers

I checked all prices this morning minutes before publishing the article. Many times they change in a matter of minutes.

The numbers you have from the Vertex 4 seem a little low. I have two of them, one 128GB and one 256GB, and for me they're faster than what you show here. Granted, they're still slower than the Neutron GTX, but they're faster than what you show. Perhaps it is because I use an enterprise level raid controller with 512MB of cache for them, but the Intel controller shouldn't be that much slower.

We have vetted all our scoring data on the desktop system we are using. We are not using enterprise RAID controllers so it is quite likely that your data would differ from ours.

Nice review guys, finally prices are getting user-friendly and the 7mm ff is great for ANY notebook upgrade - last week I upgraded my wifes 2yo DELL studio XPS with a Samsung 830 256GB($205) and now it is running WIN8 pro, $40 upgrade, like a champion. These higher performing drives would be terrific in the right net/ultra/laptop, using SATA6 connection. If you have the $$$ to spare..???

So, is it actually better than the Samsung 840/830 drives?

Cheers

The review on Amazon has zero to do with the drive itself.
The reviewer is crying because he ordered the drive directly from Corsair and they didn't deliver it as fast as projected.
In his mind that translates into Corsair being responsible that "REALLY MY LOTS OF PROJECT WORK HANGED BECAUSE OF THEIR IRRESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR. REALLY FEELING VERY FRUSTRATED."
Why he felt compelled to share his angst is beyond logic.

After upgrading to Windows 8, I noticed I was low on disk space with my Intel X25M's, despite always choosing another drive to install everything on. Picked up this as well as an 256 GB 840 Pro as I retire my X25's.

With a clean install of Win 8 Pro, Office 2013, Norton System Works, Nero 12 Platinum, Visual Studio 2012, Corel Painter 12, and Adobe Master Collection 6, with installs chosen on my 2 TB D Drive, and system cache and user folder also on the D drive, my C drive is already 50 GB full. 160 GB SSD's just don't cut it anymore.

Yes, the review of the 480GB on amazon isn't indicative of the typical customer experience with the LAMD powered Neutron series. While there were very few reviews of this capacity online, we did check a number of reviews across the whole capacity range. This is due to us taking a more 'global' look at the LAMD processor, the Toshiba Toggle NAND, and the architecture of the SSD as a whole. If there were to be reliability issues with this combination of hardware and firmware it would manifest itself across many different capacity points.
We did have a professional take a look at our graphs and do some work to make them more 'aesthetically pleasing'. He created the color schema, etc that makes these charts so damn sexy (imo). In the course of his work, a graph (HDTune Write) was inadvertently linked to the incorrect data points on the file. This led to the number for average and max being listed incorrectly. This is embarrassing tbh, I should have caught this inconsistency. We will amend the chart asap upon my return (traveling).

Thanks for the review!

I have two Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB that should be arriving early next week. They will replace two Crucial C300 128GB (technically the two Crucial will replace an aging WD VelociRaptor 250GB).

The Samsung 840 Pro also looked good, until Anand posted this : "Update: Our replacement 840 Pro also died prematurely, I'd recommend holding off any purchases until we hear back from Samsung as to the cause of death."...

Nice to see that the price of 'enthusiast-class' keeps getting better and better! The 5 years warranty is also really nice!

Last edited:
The review on Amazon has zero to do with the drive itself.
The reviewer is crying because he ordered the drive directly from Corsair and they didn't deliver it as fast as projected.
In his mind that translates into Corsair being responsible that "REALLY MY LOTS OF PROJECT WORK HANGED BECAUSE OF THEIR IRRESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR. REALLY FEELING VERY FRUSTRATED."
Why he felt compelled to share his angst is beyond logic.

True low review rate and no real world maturity hard to tell if this is a few good weeks then brick or not yet, as many people have had. The warranty if it holds true seems good though and could sway the choice, even if it breaks early.

the article itself the 1st 2 paragraphs are about the drives controller maturity, yet low review rate to really tell in real world if the early bugs on this controller long term are fixed or not.

With alot of QC issues in computer parts more prevalent the last couple years for folks, its tough call some times.

Yes, the review of the 480GB on amazon isn't indicative of the typical customer experience with the LAMD powered Neutron series. While there were very few reviews of this capacity online, we did check a number of reviews across the whole capacity range. This is due to us taking a more 'global' look at the LAMD processor, the Toshiba Toggle NAND, and the architecture of the SSD as a whole. If there were to be reliability issues with this combination of hardware and firmware it would manifest itself across many different capacity points.
We did have a professional take a look at our graphs and do some work to make them more 'aesthetically pleasing'. He created the color schema, etc that makes these charts so damn sexy (imo). In the course of his work, a graph (HDTune Write) was inadvertently linked to the incorrect data points on the file. This led to the number for average and max being listed incorrectly. This is embarrassing tbh, I should have caught this inconsistency. We will amend the chart asap upon my return (traveling).
Heh, i got a kick out of the mix up. I know you're new to the [H] crew but the way you review it seems like you've been around a lot longer. Bravo. Keep it up :D

I think it looks on paper and supposedly in the review top notch. But to spend over $500 for only 480GB is a lot. Of course SSD is blazingly faster but you can get 3-4 multi TB drives for the price of this.

To me it seems like you are better off spending that money on a GPU / Prob if you own a desktop. Of course if you have you a Laptop it's a whole other story.

Thanks for the review. Thats a nice chunk of change for some space, but I am sure its worth it if you store a lot of stuff.

Back