Corsair MP510 Endurance

fadsarmy

n00b
Hi all. I have a Corsair MP510 240GB ssd which has an endurance rating of 400TB. I have written 15TB so that is 3.75% written, leaving 96.25% health. However, CrystalDiskInfo and Corsair Toolbox both report 87% health remaining so 13% written. According to this, the endurance rating is about 115TB and way off the alleged 400TB. That is a big discrepancy which makes me suspicious about the claimed endurance rating. Is there any logical explanation for this?

Hi all. I have a Corsair MP510 240GB ssd which has an endurance rating of 400TB. I have written 15TB so that is 3.75% written, leaving 96.25% health. However, CrystalDiskInfo and Corsair Toolbox both report 87% health remaining so 13% written. According to this, the endurance rating is about 115TB and way off the alleged 400TB. That is a big discrepancy which makes me suspicious about the claimed endurance rating. Is there any logical explanation for this?
"Health Remaining" is generally just a mathematical formula taking more than TBW into account (some use convoluted calculations including drive on time, restart numbers, average temperature and even corrected error rate (even if no URE)) so I wouldn't worry. If you have other, more important numbers (such as reallocated cells increasing) then you might want to worry but other than that don't.

Endurance rating is probably the average amount of data that is able to be written to the drive before it fails. But that is kind of like saying average human life expectancy in the US is 78 years, so if you are 39 you have 50% life remaining. In reality each drive will be different.

The "health remaining" value is probably much more conservative given that many drives will fail before the "average".

Maybe writing and re-writing a bunch of small files causes the discrepancy. I have no idea how large the cells are but lets say they are 100kb and you write 50kb to it.
So that cell gets erased and re-written with another 50kb file. so you basically used 200kb of cell with only 100kb of files.
this is just a theory I came up with as I was reading your post, so I have no idea of the validity of my example.

Nothing to worry about. That drive will out live it's usefulness before it dies. People put too much stock in endurance on consumer based hardware.

Back