Corsair modular cables interchangeable with TT PSU?

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Selling a TT Toughpower XT 875watt PSU and I've got 3 graphics card modular power cables missing for it out of the 4 in total. I also have 4 bags of unused Corsair modular cables from the HX series I took from work while ago, besides one 1 pin on the Corsair cables not having any cable run through it (assuming for GND), can the Corsair graphics cards cables be interchangeably used on my Toughpower?

Don't want to risk trying it first and blowing the PSU or shorting it without one of you experts chiming in.

Cheers

NO!

Pin out is different across different Corsair PSU's! (AX1200 are unique, HX Gold is different from old HX, new AX is different from old AX)

Never mind Corsair cables being different from Thermaltake.

Don't do it.

Selling a TT Toughpower XT 875watt PSU and I've got 3 graphics card modular power cables missing for it out of the 4 in total. I also have 4 bags of unused Corsair modular cables from the HX series I took from work while ago, besides one 1 pin on the Corsair cables not having any cable run through it (assuming for GND), can the Corsair graphics cards cables be interchangeably used on my Toughpower?

Don't want to risk trying it first and blowing the PSU or shorting it without one of you experts chiming in.

Cheers

Like the other two responses stated, a big fat NO. Pin outs on different brands of modular cables, and even between cables intended for different PSU lines of the exact same brand, differ widely. At best, the device connected to the wrong modular cable will simply refuse to work or work properly; at worst, the device and/or PSU will suffer extensive damage.

agreed

really disappointed in Corsair actually that the cables are not interchangeable between my AX1200 and AX750, fucking lame

OP could research the pinout and repin the connectors

Ah gay as aids. Thanks for the replies, the connector itself does fit into the modular connections on the PSU but I figured it'd be best to ask before trying as I've had one case of bad experience with something similar. I guess I could re-pin the connectors.

Cheers.

The Corsair HX520 and the Seasonic M12II 520W are the same unit internally, but I personally found out that even they cannot swap cables. I was lucky and it caused no damage; it simply didn't work. But you have no guarantee that doing this won't cause damage on other PSUs.

Based on that experience, I never try to use one PSU's modular cables with any other PSU, even if they are the same brand and line.

agreed

really disappointed in Corsair actually that the cables are not interchangeable between my AX1200 and AX750, fucking lame

That's because back when those units were new, the 1200W is manufactured by Flex and the 750W was manufactured by Seasonic.

Recently (the new AX, AXi, HX Gold, TX-M from Chicony, CX-M) they all use the same cable sets.

If Corsair can spec the paint job, I would think they could spec the pinout

Well striped one of the cables and check if pin outs were the same and it was except 2 wires that lead to the extra +2v (6+2) attachment cable whereas the toughpower only had a 6 pin. Tested on a ATi 1800XT graphics card and it booted up all sweet, card was not getting hot or short, PSU running nice and cool.

If Corsair can spec the paint job, I would think they could spec the pinout

You're right. And now that they have a dedicated PM for power supplies and more than a handful of engineers, that's what's happening. Three years ago when those products were still new, that wasn't happening.

I can't stop laughing. Let's just go with no

except in OP's case it did end up as yes

the lesson kids, is check your documented pinout before plugging up the hardware

and thanks, jonnyG, for the reply, I have always very much respected your and OKW's work.

I saw that before I posted. The reason I was laughing is because some other jackass is going to core this thread when they try it themselves on two other units. Never underestimate the power of stupid.

That's because back when those units were new, the 1200W is manufactured by Flex and the 750W was manufactured by Seasonic.

Recently (the new AX, AXi, HX Gold, TX-M from Chicony, CX-M) they all use the same cable sets.

Thats not even the case. I have both an AX760 and CX600M and the pin-out is different. The AX760 connectors are even marked that they are only for the AX760-860.

I saw that before I posted. The reason I was laughing is because some other jackass is going to core this thread when they try it themselves on two other units. Never underestimate the power of stupid.

Hope you're not referring to me as that other jackass. :confused:

Back