Corsair K70 backlight induces buzzing high frequency in speakers

AKd

n00b
Hi,

I've got a new K70 and noticed a buzzing high frequency souind in my KRK Rokit 5 as of lately. Its very noticable especially between two songs when all is quiet.
After googling around I found out that its because of the backlight and indeed it gets louder when backlight is turned stronger and stops when leds are off.

I have the rokit 5 connected to a steinberg UR22 usb sound card via xlr's. Its very annoying. the funny thing is when I connect my headset via plug on the frontside of the soundcard there is no buzzing at all, only in the rokit's connected via xlr.

I found several threads but no real solution. Unfortunately my 30 days amazon return is over already, can I fix it by soldering something? Or using a usb-hub?

you are going to either need to not use the xlr plug or make some sort of filter.

Did you try putting the sound card on a different set of usb?

Yes I've plugged the keybord in the front and back usb ports, also the soundcard.
Its strange that the headphone jack does not have this buzz but the xlr have. I bought this soundcard with the xlr especially for the rokits to have a cleaner signal with less noise :(

Is there maybe something I can solder on the keyboard? Or do you think an usb hub could help?

I would call it a high frequency buzzing. I realized when all is quiet and you listen closeley to the keyboard you can actually hear it directly on the keyboard. The same high frequency buzzing just of course a lot louder then via the speakers but you can hear directly on the keyboard.
I'm just trying to figure out if this is "by design" or if I got a faulty unit...

Oh okay....the noise is coming out from your keyboard....I thought it was coming out from your speakers

I guess I can't help you there....sorry :(

Well no, both.

When all is quiet and the speaker turned of you can hear the noise emitted from the keyboard when you put th ear near they keys. When I then turn on the speakers I can hear the exact same high frequency buzzing over the speakers, much louder then directly via the keyboard. When I turn the led backlight of the keyboard of the sound stops.

I would call it a high frequency buzzing. I realized when all is quiet and you listen closeley to the keyboard you can actually hear it directly on the keyboard. The same high frequency buzzing just of course a lot louder then via the speakers but you can hear directly on the keyboard.
I'm just trying to figure out if this is "by design" or if I got a faulty unit...

I have this keyboard. There is no buzzing period. RMA it.

I haven't heard any buzzing from my K70, if the KB itself buzzes whenever the lights are on it sounds like a defective unit.

The buzzing on the keyboard is very subtle but you can definately hear it when you hold your ear near the numpad keys for example. Cycle through the brightness levels (and off) and you can hear the different sounds

I felt stupid doing it :D but I just tried putting my ear next to the numpad and cycled through the brightness levels but I couldn't hear anything.

Hmm maybe I can only hear it because I'm "trained" on that sound now, maybe only some of the keyboards have this problem (found some other treads in da web regarding such a problem with the K70).

BUT.. I just plugged the usb sound card into my monitor and the buzzing over the speaker is gone! Yippieh aye yeahi :)

Ya, I'm not too proud to put my ear to the numpad. It's silent switching through all led modes. They must have had a batch with faulty shielding components.

I'm pretty sure you just have a defect in your keyboard. I don't get any buzzing with mine either.

It probably has to do with one of the lights or wiring to the light. I've heard plenty of lights that buzz before.

The buzzing on the keyboard is very subtle but you can definately hear it when you hold your ear near the numpad keys for example. Cycle through the brightness levels (and off) and you can hear the different sounds

Hmm maybe I can only hear it because I'm "trained" on that sound now, maybe only some of the keyboards have this problem (found some other treads in da web regarding such a problem with the K70).

BUT.. I just plugged the usb sound card into my monitor and the buzzing over the speaker is gone! Yippieh aye yeahi :)

First time I've heard this issue where the K70 produces buzzing noise or any type of noise. But it sounds like a ground loop between the KB and the sound card causing the buzzing noise. Try to plug in the KB on one of the USB ports in front and see that makes a difference.

When you unplug the USB sound card, does the noise go away?

Yes, when I unplug it the buzzing stops. Using the front usb did not help but attaching the soundcard to the usb-hub of the monitor stopped the buzzing

Are you ok running your sound via USB hub of the monitor? Otherwise, you could always get that unit RMA'ed if your not comfortable with the buzzing noise, or you could try what they have suggested above, get one of those isolator and see if it fixes the buzzing noise.

I'm fine with the soundcard. Its working and I'm not doing any latency critical stuff atm.
RMA is a double pain. Send it in, wait and be weeks w/o the keyboard. And then I've added a dampening o-ring to every key, gotta remove those first, pain in the a** ;)

Ah I see. I agree, having a downtime is no fun.

Well just in case it gets worse down the road to the point the buzzing is unbearable, just let me know and I'll make sure that we take care of you :)

Well it was unbearable over the speakers but I've found a solution for that via attaching the soundcard over a hub. And yes downtime plus removing all 100 keys and o-rings sux ;)

Back