I don't have much experience diagnosing power supplies, so I thought I'd ask you guys here for some help/advice. Last weekend I woke-up and turned my computer on. When I came back, I smelled a strong burning/smoke smell in the room. I tried turning the computer on again and it wouldn't work at all. It turned out to be the power supply was dead, I sniffed through the intake and knew it for sure. Thankfully nothing else still smells like that as of now. I don't have a similar system to test everything out on, since my backup rig is AGP (yes, I know old, but works). The USB drive I have still works, so I'm hoping everything else does?
My question is, what do you think caused it to burn out? It's been rock solid ever since I built the system in 2007. I've never overclocked anything in the system. In the past I've had memory/gpu die randomly, but that's it. Do you think anything else in the system may be shot? I'm shipping it back via RMA soon, just was wondering if anyone out there could figure out what happened so I can avoid it next time. It's a Corsair HX620 btw.
My question is, what do you think caused it to burn out? It's been rock solid ever since I built the system in 2007. I've never overclocked anything in the system. In the past I've had memory/gpu die randomly, but that's it. Do you think anything else in the system may be shot? I'm shipping it back via RMA soon, just was wondering if anyone out there could figure out what happened so I can avoid it next time. It's a Corsair HX620 btw.