Corsair HX520 + 6970

ZacharyS

Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
758
Well, now that sandy bridge mobos are back in stock at the egg (looking at the P8P67 Deluxe!), I think I really need to start considering my build. I currently have a HX520, and I'm thinking I should definitely upgrade it, but if I don't actually need it....

Anyway, the build I have in mind is:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
8GB RAM
HD 6970
A few HDDs (probably 2, but soon it will be just a SSD and those 2 will be moved to a server, which is what my old build will become).

I'm kinda thinking I should just go ahead and get a HX750 or something, but what do you guys think?
 
I have an HX650 and an I7 930 and a GTX570SC. I overclock both the CPU and the GPU and the PSU fan never even spins up hard...so, I don't think you would be too far off with the I5/ATI and 520.
 
you should be okay but I would just get the HX750 so you will have plenty of room for pushing that system and any future upgrades.
 
Given you already own the system, you'll be fine. No reason to buy a bigger PSU just because. I ran an overclocked Q6600 with an HD4870X2 (almost 100W more than a 6970) off a 520W HX, and was only pulling 400W DC out of the unit in games. No sweat for it.
 
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. Now just need to decide if it's worth the $100 to get the 6970 or the 69502GB and mod it.
 
You're fine. I have a corsair HX520 running 1 SSD 1 SATA 1 modded 6950 i5-750@3.6Ghz... All that in the sig. The PSU is less than 70% loaded according to my killawatt.
 
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. Now just need to decide if it's worth the $100 to get the 6970 or the 69502GB and mod it.

Get the 6950 and OC it. I did it with my Asus and no issues at all with it.
Thing is theres a chance when you do it , it just may not working properly, and then you are stuck with the 6950 or sell it and make a loss.
 
The 6950 is fast enough that even if you're "stuck" with a 6950 2GB (unlikely) it's probably still not worth spending another $100 on a 6970 unless you're planning on going Crossfire for Eyefinity. Even then there's a case to be made. I unlocked mine and OCed it past 6970 speeds, ran it like that for a few days. More FPS? Yes. Not higher settings, though (in most cases there's just nothing left to turn up) so I turned it back down so my room didn't get as hot. Maybe not very [H], but practical.
 
484 watts at the wall at 83% efficiency (Turbo-Cool 1200w) is only 401w internal load. Roughly 80% of the capacity of the HX520. Higher than I'd like? Sure. Outside of what I'd consider safe? No.
 
Back
Top