Corsair h70 + 2600K idle at 3.4ghz 42C?

markm75

Gawd
I just installed the new P8p67 deluxe motherboard with intel 2600K processor..

I installed the h70 cooler per its instructions and then some.. but no matter what, it seems to run hot.

At default 3.4 .. roughly 42C..

At 4.7 while running prime95 blend, i saw a few cores up around 78, while others at 67C.

Right now with multiplier set to 47 in windows (with turbo and speedstep on), realtemp is showing a max of 38C idle.. but again, crank up prime95 blend and we are cookin..

I've read on here that most find themselves in the 20's at idle.. something is wrong i think.

I've tried everything, including removing the thermal paste that came with the unit and going with the arctic matrix.. that didnt help at all, may have gone up a degree or two.

In the bios i have q fan control set to disabled.. i've tried intake and exhaust modes, neither mattered.. i've reseated the pump several times.. i've tried plugging the pump into the cpu power spot and vice versa, just to see, no changes there.. currently i have the pump in the chassis power spot and the fans on the cpu fan power connector.

Any thoughts out there?

Did i get a lemon?

Thanks

I would say that a 42C temperature on the CPU core at idle is normal but 78C at load isn't. Definitely something's wrong. I don't know what other advice I could give you since you already did them and still no luck.

i do have 2600k and h70 as well.
at stock 3.4ghz gives me 24c @ idle no more than 60 @load
OCed 5.0ghz idle @ 34 below 70 @ load
definally something wrong with your setup.
try and see if you bedded cooler property and/or tighted screws enough.(also 3pin connector property installed)

42C at idle is not good. even with the stock cooler it will go below that

OP, do you have a heater vent in the room pointing at the direction of the computer. I've seen that make a LOT of difference on my system.
Also on your H70 bracket. Don't crank it down like a steel worker. That kind of tight is not needed and can cause mis-alignment.

I'm running [email protected] and all temps core are 26c - 27c.

I would say that a 42C temperature on the CPU core at idle is normal but 78C at load isn't. Definitely something's wrong. I don't know what other advice I could give you since you already did them and still no luck.

I'd say you got it backwards.

78* under load on 4.7GHz is fine - as is the 10-11* spread between the various cores.

42*C on stock idle is a bit high unless he's running his system in a very hot room.

With an H70, stock idle temps should be in the 28*-32*C with normal ambient temps.

try and see if you bedded cooler property and/or tighted screws enough.(also 3pin connector property installed)

lol nothing is wrong with his setup. just depends what his volts are at.

i idle 39c or so with a h70 full load @ 4.7ghz im about 73c on the hottest core 2600k.

From what I have read your ok if temps are less than 80C with voltage 1.4 max

One thing to check and see if the pump is plug into a mobo header that's variable speed controlled through the bios.

Is that 24C idle in the OS? As i notice with realtemp, in my reading is 29C (but its doing the speedstep/turbo thing, dropping to 1600mhz on idle). This is at a 3.4ghz setting not the 4.7 i started out with.

As far as my config goes, the room is about 22C (room temp or a little below).

Nothing pointed at it as far as heat goes..

I know the pump is working, as if i pull the plug, it climbs into the high 60's in seconds (idle in bios).

I have the fans on the cpu pin header and the pump on a chasis fan pin header.

The fans are at about 2000 rpms.. the pump is at 1400.

I have tried reversing this.. for fun.. this results in much more tolerable noise levels and NO change in temp.

I may keep the reverse on or use the resistor strips to lower the rpms.. anyone know what rpm it runs at if using the resistor strips?

I should add that actually, the bios reads 50C idle, when in the bios, at the full 4.7 OC, at 1.4 volts..

Make sure you've got the radiator turned so the outlets are at the bottom of it. I think it can possibly airlock with them at the top especially if it is mounted higher than the cpu pump.

With the resistors inline, the standard corsair fans rotate at 1500 rpm, or thereabouts, with the pump spinning at about the same.

I have mine exhausting from the case with idle at about 30c and load in the mid 60's.

Make sure you've got the radiator turned so the outlets are at the bottom of it. I think it can possibly airlock with them at the top especially if it is mounted higher than the cpu pump.

With the resistors inline, the standard corsair fans rotate at 1500 rpm, or thereabouts, with the pump spinning at about the same.

I have mine exhausting from the case with idle at about 30c and load in the mid 60's.

Yeah they are on the bottom as of now.. without resistors in place.. was thinking of maybe getting the gentle typhoons 1850 rpm fans to help with noise but maintain cfm etc..

I think my application of arctic matrix (mx4 i think) may have been botched, too much etc.. after my torture tests are done i'm going to remove with alcohol and reapply using the thin grain size line down the middle technique, though that takes 200 hours to fully cure.

With your load in 60's, is that prime95 blend?

With an ambient of say 22C, my prime95 16 hours later is around 77-80C (4.8ghz stable so far at 1.38 or so).

Aye, blend it is... max temps seem to have dropped a few C's now too, which is nice. I'm just using the standard TIM that came stuck on, it must have cured.

I've actually got my radiator, with the push pull Corsair fans resistored, mounted horizontally on the inside roof of my HAF, where it has the cut out for a fill port.

It doesn't sound at all loud and I'm quite happy with it.

Good luck with your experiments... :)

Does anyone know, shouldnt the radiator be warm to the touch on the h70 after a few minutes? I took the first fan, closest to cpu off, felt the radiator, and i feel absolutely no warmth there?

At idle or at load? At load it might feel warm, but at idle I don't think you should feel anything. There is very little heat being produced by the CPU, and it's being dissipated into the air quickly.

Does anyone know, shouldnt the radiator be warm to the touch on the h70 after a few minutes? I took the first fan, closest to cpu off, felt the radiator, and i feel absolutely no warmth there?

No, mine still feels colder than the ambient temp of the room!

No, mine still feels colder than the ambient temp of the room!

i rechecked, mine was cold while idle, but when the cpu read 80C during prime95, i could feel warmth on the radiator. From what i've read, 67-70 max should be what i'm seeing at 4.8

Last edited:
When I had my H70 in effect, I ran 38-40 across cores with speed-step dropping idle frequencies to 1600 MHz. Under full load I would bounce between 60-80 at 5 GHz & 1.49 volts. Usually was in the high 60s, low 70s with occasional higher bounces.

I'm on an i5/H70 at 4GHz @ 26C idle, 55C or so under load. I'm going to explore the higher end of OCing this evening.

Any update on this situation? I just built about the same machine (2600k, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe) and my bios is reading 45-50º at stock...I haven't even installed any drivers or updates yet. But I saw this thread when looking for H70 installation info, so now I'm good and freaked out that it's borked.

I'm wondering if it could be:

1. A botched thermal paste during installation. I re-seated it once because the tubes seemed like they were strained. But when I pulled it off, the application looked okay, no gaps or clumps. OP said he re-applied and what not, so I'm kinda doubting this right now.
If I did screw this up, what kind of temp would I expect...does the 45-50º sound reasonable for a mediocre thermal paste application?
2. I have a Silverstone FT02, with the radiator mounted so the tube intake/outtake are horizontal, could that be the issue? I'll turn the whole case in a few minutes and see if there's any difference.

markm75: have you tried putting the OEM fan on it yet? Also, did your CPU restraining bar seem overly tight? I had to put more force on it than I was expecting.

Any update on this situation? I just built about the same machine (2600k, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe) and my bios is reading 45-50º at stock...I haven't even installed any drivers or updates yet. But I saw this thread when looking for H70 installation info, so now I'm good and freaked out that it's borked.

I'm wondering if it could be:

1. A botched thermal paste during installation. I re-seated it once because the tubes seemed like they were strained. But when I pulled it off, the application looked okay, no gaps or clumps. OP said he re-applied and what not, so I'm kinda doubting this right now.
If I did screw this up, what kind of temp would I expect...does the 45-50º sound reasonable for a mediocre thermal paste application?
2. I have a Silverstone FT02, with the radiator mounted so the tube intake/outtake are horizontal, could that be the issue? I'll turn the whole case in a few minutes and see if there's any difference.

markm75: have you tried putting the OEM fan on it yet? Also, did your CPU restraining bar seem overly tight? I had to put more force on it than I was expecting.

Some people are just mistaken. BIOS cpu readings are 100% correct because the power saving features are off. So yes, 45-50C reading is correct. If you get this under OS, then it's a different situation.

make sure both fans are blowing in the same direction, there is arrows on them.

-->-->

Some people are just mistaken. BIOS cpu readings are 100% correct because the power saving features are off.
Wrong. The power saving features are not necessarily off while in the BIOS, and besides that, the BIOS temperature readings come from sensors built into the motherboard, whereas readings from programs like Real Temp and Core Temp are taken from the DTSes built into the CPU itself (which the motherboard does not read from). BIOS temps are rarely accurate.

Back