Corsair H100 $90 on Amazon

cortexodus

[H]ard|Gawd
For those interested in such things, the Corsair H100 240mm closed loop CPU cooler is at a pretty low price. This appears to be the cheapest price without rebate that I've ever seen on Amazon.

I'd like to get one but my P180 won't accommodate it :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have to get a fan controller to use aftermarket fans on that thing? It has fan headers i see for the stock corsair fans, but if what if you want to do push/pull with aftermarket fans?

Do you have to get a fan controller to use aftermarket fans on that thing? It has fan headers i see for the stock corsair fans, but if what if you want to do push/pull with aftermarket fans?

They're standard 4 pin headers and you don't have to plug any fans into the pump, the pump just has a built in controller.

too bad its not the H80 or something. I have the FT-02 and I can only have a 360 or 120 rad or 540 lol. Ahhh guess I will be waiting for a while to replace my H50.

How good are these?

I keep seeing reviews on Amazon and Newegg from the occasional reviewer who had a leak and their mobo/GPU/cpu/RAM got fried.

That is one of the things keeping me away from them. That and a lot of people have good luck OC'ing their i5/i7 rig with Noctua or Cooler Master Hyper 212 air cooling, so is the Corsair Hydro worth it when there are so many success stories with higher end air cooling? Especially with CM Hyper 212 at $30?

How good are these?

I keep seeing reviews on Amazon and Newegg from the occasional reviewer who had a leak and their mobo/GPU/cpu/RAM got fried.

That is one of the things keeping me away from them. That and a lot of people have good luck OC'ing their i5/i7 rig with Noctua or Cooler Master Hyper 212 air cooling, so is the Corsair Hydro worth it when there are so many success stories with higher end air cooling? Especially with CM Hyper 212 at $30?

The big gotcha that I went through upgrading a friend's computer is the pump noise. I went through 3 units before I was able to get one that didn't have a grinding noise coming from the pump. He gave me one of the defective ones that I RMA'd as payment and I went through 2 of those before I received a good unit.

So the good. When I finally was able to get the two units working with stock fans on his and Scythe GT's on mine, the idle temperatures were higher which initially scared us but when we started gaming or encoding the temps didn't move nearly as much. So the delta of temps was much lower. He was coming from a Noctua D14 with stock fans and I was coming from a Megahalem Rev B with the same Scythe GT's. We both stuck with the H100's because max temps were much lower even though the idle temps were higher.

With regards to the pump making *grinding* noises, I have 2 Kuhler 620s and while the first one was silent from the first moment, the second one was really really bad... for about 20min. I kinda rolled it around carefully as it ran on my test bench (I always run these things 24hrs before I actually hook 'em up to anything) and it eventually just smoothed out and went as silent as the first one.

I'm not saying folks haven't got defective units but, for anyone that gets one that's grinding, just keep it running for awhile, tilt the radiator and pump into different orientations and it may suss its own issues out. :)

With regards to the pump making *grinding* noises, I have 2 Kuhler 620s and while the first one was silent from the first moment, the second one was really really bad... for about 20min. I kinda rolled it around carefully as it ran on my test bench (I always run these things 24hrs before I actually hook 'em up to anything) and it eventually just smoothed out and went as silent as the first one.

I'm not saying folks haven't got defective units but, for anyone that gets one that's grinding, just keep it running for awhile, tilt the radiator and pump into different orientations and it may suss its own issues out. :)

Totally agree. We ran the first unit for 3 days and it simply didn't get better. The second one the same. Eventually the one I ended up with was grinding and it worked itself out after about 12 hours. I was about to lose my mind after the entire fiasco but once my final unit went quiet I was just really happy to be done with it.

Back