• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair GS-600

Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
11
Hey, I've just purchased a 6870 1gb and a Corsair GS-600 for a friend and after installing both of them (into a Antec 600 with Asus P5W DH Deluxe, e6500 and 4gb ddr 2 800mhz) nothing is now booting. Was running fine previously with a Zodac 8800gt and Gigabyte Odin 470w.

I've taken the ram out to see if that was the problem, it wasn't, so I can turn the computer on and the fans whir and the lights flicker but the screen says 'no source/signal available' and I noticed that the HDD light and DVD Drive lights were both flickering and when trying to push the dvd drive nothing happened.

Any ideas on what I can do or see what's going on? Only thing I can think of is that there isn't enough power in the system (which seems strange as I could've sworn I read that minimum requirement is 600W) anyway, it's the http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6870_DC2DI2S1GD5/ model 6870.

Cheers for your help,

Mark
 
Last edited:
What DVI cable/adapter are you using? Make sure you are using a DVI dual link cable/adapter. When my friend got a 6970, his monitor did not display anything until I found out that he was actually using a DVI single link adapter. So I replaced it with a dual link adapter that came with the new GPU and it worked right away.
 
I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor it's HDMI at the monitor end and DVI at the PC end. I'll try the dvi adapter that came with it but I doubt it'll change the problem, as the lights flicker and the dvd tray wont open.

Edit: Used the adaptor that you suggested and same problem. So I'm going to try putting in the old 8800gt back in and see if that works (to eliminate the 6870 drawing too much power)

If it's not this i've got no idea what it could be. It's not evening booting into BIOS it's just sitting doing nothing, flashing away.
 
Last edited:
The GS600 should pose no problems with that setup if it's working correctly. These are my ideas on what could be causing the problem: either the PSU is faulty, the motherboard is faulty, or there is a compatibility issue between the PSU and motherboard. The only way to really isolate the problem is to test with other hardware. Try a different PSU in the PC and try that PSU in a different PC. Depending on the result, you will be able to find the cause.
 
Well that's just it... It had a Gigabyte Odin 470W in it but that wasn't beefy enough for a 6870 so I thought the Corsair would be sufficient, maybe not.

I put the 8800gt back in and it's still staring back at me with nothing, just flashing away with lights and fans and still no signal. The HDD/DVD Rom lights are still having a flashing fit.

Everything was working 100% before I swapped the PSU and Video Card so I'm not sure. I'll try the old PSU, but I'm not sure if it'll take a 6870.
 
It'll be fine for booting/seeing if everything works purposes. The components do not draw max power when booting, I doubt you'll hit 250 watt pull from the power supply during boot. If that 470 watt power supply is a good one, it should be powerful enough for a single 6870.
 
FML, put all the old stuff back in and same problem... I think I must've zapped the motherboard at some stage. Also replaced the BIOS battery to see if that'd change anything and nope :(
 
Back
Top