Corsair Dominator 8500 C5 will only post at 2.4v

skunkmunkey

Limp Gawd
I have just purchased a 2gb kit of dominator 8500, however it will not allow my pc to post unless I set the ram voltage to 2.4v (using another stick of ram) and then restart pc with the dominator ram installed. Even when the voltage is up that high (the max my mobo will give) the pc will randomly crash or i get weird errors in my progs. Is this faulty ram or is it my crappy Asus P5WDH-Deluxe mobo?

I have latest bios on the mobo and plenty of cooling in my system. I am using a e6600 cpu and at the moment im just using standard clocks.

could be the ram but did you buy it brand new?
could you enable yor sig or post your hardware?

Did you make sure the timings is set correctly at 5-5-5-18 ?

yeah its brand new ram, but it only seems to have happened after it was fitted, my old corsair xms 2 pro 8500 worked fine. I just wasnt sure if the dominator needed 2.4v to run on my P5wDH-deluxe. I have just got a new asus comando delivered this morn so will try it on that and see how it goes.

Sys specs are:

Asus P5WDH-deluxe - changing to Asus Commando today
C2D E6600
2gb corsair dominator PC8500
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
2 x 74gb Raptors
1 x 250gb Hitachi Deskstar sata2
Hiper Type R 580 watt psu
Plextor px-716AL DVD-RW

tested the ram in my new commando board and the same problem. Ive tried running at 800mhz, relaxing the timings and i still have the same problem.

The only way i can start my system is to reset the bios, boot with a stick of OCZ installed and change voltage to 2.4. Then reboot pc and insert the Corsair ram and windows will boot fine, If i RMA through Corsair direct does anyone have any idea how long it takes.... im pretty dissapointed with this ram in all honesty, hopefully its just a one off and Corsair's standards havent slipped.

it's definitely the ram then.RMA to reseller for a quicker replacement
I dont know know where you bought yours from but if it's newegg, you gonna get a replacement real qquick if you send it back
good luck man

tested the ram in my new commando board and the same problem. Ive tried running at 800mhz, relaxing the timings and i still have the same problem.

The only way i can start my system is to reset the bios, boot with a stick of OCZ installed and change voltage to 2.4. Then reboot pc and insert the Corsair ram and windows will boot fine, If i RMA through Corsair direct does anyone have any idea how long it takes.... im pretty dissapointed with this ram in all honesty, hopefully its just a one off and Corsair's standards havent slipped.

Okay Quite a few things I must ask of you. I am having INCREDIBLY similar problems. However, my problems are not so harsh as to not posting without 2.4v. My RAM posts just fine even at the default of 1.8v, and at the Corsair reccomended 2.2v. However, regardless of which voltage I use, I am getting random crashes left and right.

But the thing is, I have run memtest through 25 passes with both sticks in, 25 passes with 1 stick in, and 25 passes with the other stick in, all the while none of them had any errors. Yet still random crashes. Anyways, I personally guessed the board, but I may be wrong. My replacement board is on the way, and if these random crashes dont stop occuring, I will RMA the memory as well.

OH yeah, forgot to mention I have the exact same memory as well. Try running memtest though, see if you run into any errors.

Anyways, please keep us updated, I can use the same advice!

Okay Quite a few things I must ask of you. I am having INCREDIBLY similar problems. However, my problems are not so harsh as to not posting without 2.4v. My RAM posts just fine even at the default of 1.8v, and at the Corsair reccomended 2.2v. However, regardless of which voltage I use, I am getting random crashes left and right.

But the thing is, I have run memtest through 25 passes with both sticks in, 25 passes with 1 stick in, and 25 passes with the other stick in, all the while none of them had any errors. Yet still random crashes. Anyways, I personally guessed the board, but I may be wrong. My replacement board is on the way, and if these random crashes dont stop occuring, I will RMA the memory as well.

OH yeah, forgot to mention I have the exact same memory as well. Try running memtest though, see if you run into any errors.

Anyways, please keep us updated, I can use the same advice!
your BSOD could be something else from hardware related,could be driver issue or something to that effect.Did you check what caused the BSOD in the event viewer to see the cause?i have the same ram too and i have no problems with it.yours could be something entirely different and could you post your specs as well?

The event viewer never has anything. Often times I will get a BSOD in the middle of the night, I will then reboot and the event viewer shows no errors, only standard events relating to booting up.

I just find it odd random crashes relate the same to these possibly? Or would it still seem more motherboard related?

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E6700
ABIT IN9 32X-MAX
PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
Corsair Dominator 8500C5D
EVGA 8800GTX

Drivers im fairly sure are in order as they were all obtained from official sources.

The event viewer never has anything. Often times I will get a BSOD in the middle of the night, I will then reboot and the event viewer shows no errors, only standard events relating to booting up.

I just find it odd random crashes relate the same to these possibly? Or would it still seem more motherboard related?

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E6700
ABIT IN9 32X-MAX
EVGA 8800GTX

Drivers im fairly sure are in order as they were all obtained from official sources.
did you check to see if your mobo had any issues with that kind of ram to have?
how BIOS up to date cuz right now with the mobo i have,there are issues with 4gbs of dominator ram issues
maybe you should try a fresh install of your OS to see if you still run into this issue and if BIOS ins't upgraded you should and see if it stops the BSOD
check Abit forums to see if anyone has similar issues
just my 2 cents

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E6700
ABIT IN9 32X-MAX
EVGA 8800GTX

There have been some strange issues with restarts and the IN9. Several users reported that the newest .B06 beta bios solved this. The bios is linked in this thread below. At the time of posting, the ABIT forum was down.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=120521&goto=newpost

Back