Corsair CX750M reliability.

vick1000

2[H]4U
I just bought this PSU from Best Buy, more for trouble shooting (and UPS lost my HX850). It seems to have solved my issues with cold boots. So I am wondering if I should just leave it installed, or go for a higher end unit.

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
i5 [email protected] 1.25v
Mugen 4 HSF
4x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws PC12800
Giagbyte 760 WF2OC
Gigabyte 750Ti WF2OC (PhysX/Audio)
Samsung 830 and 840EVO
2xWD Black 1TB
Lite-on Blu Ray
Antec P183 V3
4x Xigmatek 120mm fans

EDIT: I just ran a 5 min pass of OCCT PSU stress test, and it is making a slight "buzzing-fizzing" sound. Voltages are stable except for VCC3 which drops to 3.28v, I do have LLC at level 3 of 10. I think it will be going back to BB soon.

I though Corsair made some solid units across their line up. Any recommendations.

Last edited:
CX is their budget line, and Corsair is not infallible.

Your system is a 400-500 watt system. I would get a good 500-550 watt PSU and call it a day.

EDIT: I just ran a 5 min pass of OCCT PSU stress test, and it is making a slight "buzzing-fizzing" sound.
Just so you know, Corsair will actually accept an RMA over that issue.

It's generally not indicative of a functional problem with the unit (no impact on lifespan), but it does mean that not enough potting material was applied when the unit was assembled, allowing things to vibrate audibly.

I just ran a 5 min pass of OCCT PSU stress test, and it is making a slight "buzzing-fizzing" sound.

It's generally not indicative of a functional problem with the unit (no impact on lifespan), but it does mean that not enough potting material was applied when the unit was assembled, allowing things to vibrate audibly.

Yep. All magnetics have harmonics... it's just a matter of whether or not those harmonics are audible to the human ear and/or there's enough varnish, caulk, etc. to mask the sound.

Voltages are stable except for VCC3 which drops to 3.28v, I do have LLC at level 3 of 10. I think it will be going back to BB soon.

That's your motherboard, not the PSU. Software readings in programs like HWMonitor all come from the monitoring chip of the motherboard and are never an accurate representation of actual PSU voltages/performance, etc.

Right, I figured it's probably "coil whine" of a sort.

I think I'm going to splurge and get a EVGA Supernova or Seasonic X series. Hard to beat ten and seven year warranties.

I went ahead and picked up a HX850 instead, too good a deal, $139 OTD, $119 after rebate.

Back