Corsair Barebones SFF HTPC case?

jcagara08

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this has been posted from before but Corsair is making a small HTPC SFF barebones case with a motherboard and power supply in it. I wonder what could be the total volume for it.

1277623144736339268.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/corsair-bulldog-a-living-room-pc-with-a-face-only-a-ga-1708126084

The ugliest case I have seen so far. Got an email a few days ago about the "Bulldog" unveiling. This thing is hideous. I was really hoping for a true mitx case. I wouldn't put that case anywhere in my house even if you gave it to me for free

Analyzing the photos it looks to be about 20.4L.

Probably the most interesting thing about is that Corsair has done a SFX type PSU for it.

1277623144903452996.jpg

That looks like a big radial fan and a deep but narrow radiator.

Oh dear god why? I mean the radiator is pretty damn cool, and the hybrid GPU cooler doesn't look so bad either, the design is debatable, some love stylised cases like this, but who at Corsair thought that this is a good size for a PC that is supposed to replace a console?!

Oh dear god why? I mean the radiator is pretty damn cool, and the hybrid GPU cooler doesn't look so bad either, the design is debatable, some love stylised cases like this, but who at Corsair thought that this is a good size for a PC that is supposed to replace a console?!

It's because corporate designers are scared of designing something new that could break the balance on the market. It only has to appeal to customers as new.

Looks even bigger than RVZ01 so its definitely a ~20L case.

You gotta do it yourself if you want real progress...

This case and the keyboard thingy (Lapdog) are so backwards it's incredible. Are we back to 90s? Someone surely is...

The name is right on spot though... Bulldog... Speaks for itself.

The lapdog is a nice idea for people who want to play on TV with mouse and keyboard since valve controller is not out yet and it'll take much time until it's fully supported by games.

I've tested this magic gamepad of valve myself and it simply is a pair of touchpads mapped to mouse and keyboard arrows which makes it useless for playing shooters/moba.

I don't really care if lapdog idea is like 90's style if it really works. My concerns are more about that its huge and yet it doesn't really support hands down from wrists like desk so it's not really that ergonomic.

I'd rather have a WSAD portion of keyboard and a properly supported pad with some kind of foldable construction that would keep those parts together on my laps rather than something that'll make my legs sweat.

Looks like I missed the PSU in first reading.
It really seems like an SFX PSU done right (no offense Silverstone), considering actual 100mm length including the connectors, and a 92mm fan that most effectively uses the cross-sectional area.

Laptog is too big to be as useful.

Bulldog is damn ugly to put anywhere within 20 feet of a living room. It's also too big, which is a shame since the built-in CPU cooler also has some innovative value; it's just not used as effectively as it could be.

I really want that PSU

It really seems like an SFX PSU done right

We don't even know the OEM yet. Even if it's the Enhance 600W with just a bigger fan I would want to read some user experiences before putting my money down, especially from people who own other Enhance units.

If it's a new player in the SFX design/fabrication business then I'm curious to see number from proper reviewers.

That pinout is Seasonic (doesn't mean the internals are too, though). Any idea of the exact dimensions? Is it true sfx?

My gripe with this PSU is that the c14 connector is oriented upside down compared to the Silverstone SFX's. Perhaps it's an oversight on their end but it's actually annoying.

That pinout is Seasonic (doesn't mean the internals are too, though). Any idea of the exact dimensions? Is it true sfx?

Scaling the model off the fan it does appear to meet SFX spec:

PKY821q.png

My gripe with this PSU is that the c14 connector is oriented upside down compared to the Silverstone SFX's. Perhaps it's an oversight on their end but it's actually annoying.

It's not standardized, though I wish it was.

The outside isn't much too look at (or maybe too much), but the inside bits are interesting. The PSU could well end up being the best SFX yet, with its 92mm fan and none of the fitment concerns of SFX-L. I'm curious about the OEM; Corsair uses Seasonic and Flextronics for most of their line, I believe, though that doesn't necessarily mean this wouldn't be a different OEM. It's interesting to note that it wasn't that long ago George made a remark (on OCN, IIRC) that he didn't think SFX afforded worthwhile space savings over ATX. But then, he apparently didn't have a lot to do with Bulldog's development.

The other noteworthy part is the narrow-rad AIO with blower. Asetek has this type of narrow rad already for 1U server cooling, though they're using it with high-speed 40mm fans. IIRC, CoolIT also had the same style of narrow rad AIO on their site at some point, and knowing they're working exclusively with Corsair, it seems likely they tapped those designs. The substitution of a single large centrifugal fan for the 40mm fans is something I thought of myself back when I first saw it on CoolIT's site, and it should go a long way toward keeping noise levels in check and suitable for home use.

It's interesting to note that it wasn't that long ago George made a remark (on OCN, IIRC) that he didn't think SFX afforded worthwhile space savings over ATX.

His main gripe was the length of SFX-L, which in Bulldog I can see why he wasn't impressed because anything much longer than SFX will run into the 120mm rad mount for the GPU.

His main gripe was the length of SFX-L, which in Bulldog I can see why he wasn't impressed because anything much longer than SFX will run into the 120mm rad mount for the GPU.
You sure? It seemed to me he was talking about SFX in general, and he hinted they were working on something else (1U, maybe). Maybe we're thinking of different posts, though.

You're right, I'm thinking of JonnyGuru's (he works for Corsair now) posts about the SX700-LPT: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12336
I see. The thing about SFX though, is in effect it defines a maximum length for the PSU - either 100 or 130mm for SFX-L. Whereas if you want to support ATX PSUs, you have to think about where you want the cutoff to be, and communicate that to the user. If you're really maximizing use of space in a case, there can easily be a situation where a 180mm+ PSU will fit, but at the expense of some drive bays (for example). Those kinds of situations get complicated quickly, as we can see with the M1, and can make a build more complicated and frustrating as a result. So in that regard, there's some distinct advantages to having a well-defined maximum PSU size.

And this comment is more directed to Jonny and his line of thinking than you Aiboh :p You're already maximizing space with SFX.

Fractal unveiled exactly what I wanted from the Corsair in the Node 202 - They also bundle a 450W sfx PSU for another $60USD, I'm assuming it's going to be the same one as the silverstone so probably quite loud. But for $80USD without/$140USD with PSU it looks like a quality option - Same layout as the RVZ01/RVZ02.

Seeing some competition in the steambox/HTPC form factor is good. Still a bit bigger than I would like (Why don't more of them limit to reference length video cards?) but we're getting there. Would like to see more >10L cases.

I'm curious about the OEM; Corsair uses Seasonic and Flextronics for most of their line, I believe,
Their AX series are Flextronics or Seasonic units, but all the rest (the HX, TX, RM, CX, GS, VS series) are, with the exception of HX750, CWT or Chicony Power units.

The other noteworthy part is the narrow-rad AIO with blower. Asetek has this type of narrow rad already for 1U server cooling, though they're using it with high-speed 40mm fans. IIRC, CoolIT also had the same style of narrow rad AIO on their site at some point, and knowing they're working exclusively with Corsair, it seems likely they tapped those designs.
Thanks for the link to the Asetek 1U AIO, that is really interesting.
As to who makes the H5SF, I think the shape of the waterblock/pump unit pictured screams Asetek, a CoolIT unit would probably have been square shaped.

The substitution of a single large centrifugal fan for the 40mm fans is something I thought of myself back when I first saw it on CoolIT's site, and it should go a long way toward keeping noise levels in check and suitable for home use.
I'm really curious to know the dimensions of the radiator and the blower fan in H5SF, wonder if Aibohphobia or anyone else could use his skill to make an estimate. If its rad happens to be the same as the one pictured in the Asetek link, it's about W120 x H40 x D50mm I suppose (as the three counterrotating fans are most likely 40x40x56mm.)

Last edited:
I'm really curious to know the dimensions of the radiator and the blower fan in H5SF, wonder if Aibohphobia or anyone else could use his skill to make an estimate. If its rad happens to be the same as the one pictured in the Asetek link, it's about W120 x H40 x D50mm I suppose (as the three counterrotating fans are most likely 40x40x56mm.)

It's tough since the pic with just the rad and board don't have any good reference points for the rad to measure accurately.

But that's close to my estimate, height is about 40-50mm.

The PSU could well end up being the best SFX yet, with its 92mm fan and none of the fitment concerns of SFX-L. I'm curious about the OEM; Corsair uses Seasonic and Flextronics for most of their line, I believe, though that doesn't necessarily mean this wouldn't be a different OEM. It's interesting to note that it wasn't that long ago George made a remark (on OCN, IIRC) that he didn't think SFX afforded worthwhile space savings over ATX. But then, he apparently didn't have a lot to do with Bulldog's development.

OEM is High Power, according to Tom's hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-sf600-sfx-psu,29317.html

That's hilarious.

However I'm curious, how did you arrive at those numbers in the first place? I understand that modeling gives you the ratios between the 3 dimensions, but what are you basing the scale on?

That's hilarious.

However I'm curious, how did you arrive at those numbers in the first place? I understand that modeling gives you the ratios between the 3 dimensions, but what are you basing the scale on?

He based it off of the fan

The ugliest case I have seen so far. Got an email a few days ago about the "Bulldog" unveiling. This thing is hideous. I was really hoping for a true mitx case. I wouldn't put that case anywhere in my house even if you gave it to me for free

+100 - Is their slogan: "Corsair Bulldog: the ITX case made for Corsair Designers and their butt ugly mutts".

There's a 'style' in many recent cases designs - so many useless creases and indentations and weird angles. Is it to give the appearance that a DIY warrior made it one afternoon in their garage using only a chainsaw and bad measurements? So we can say, "I could have made that monstrosity, but they've saved me the trouble and embarrassment..."?

Yeah, this thing was really ugly. Hall of fame ugly. Lots of angles, bulky, no symmetry. I heard they might redesign the outer shell, and they better do that. Take come clues from Fractal Design Node 202, if they dare. I guess they just must have angles and edges for the "gamerz".

Back