• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair AX1200i Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Review is down. T_T. What's the main difference between this and my AX1200? Meh. Still 6 x 6+2.
 
Well I guess a "big" one is that the 1200 is Gold certified and the 1200i is Platinum, $50 bucks more for the 1200i.
 
Well that and the fact that's as far as I know its the worlds first DIGITAL PSU

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-sup...lus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html

The tweaktown review tested 100% load at 91%...which is like platinum on crack.

Ive been waiting for this PSU since it was anounced in January and was just about tired of waiting and was about to pull the trigger on the Seasonic Platinum 1000w on Newegg when I saw the AX1200i listed!
 
WOW so the second website that I read last night is now down! I wonder if retailers broke the release date?
 
Looks great.

You'd think for $350 you could at least get some individually sleeved cables though.
 
so were the reviews good before they were taken down, I want to order.
 
This PSU doesn't even natively support Quad Crossfire/SLI, only 6x PCIe connectors.

Stupid decision on Corsairs part.
 
I personally only want to run dual cards, but then I have the Asus Maximus V Extreme, so it has PCI power ports right on the Mobo. Way better than the Molex ones. PCI comes in handy!!

Jonny Guru will be doing a mini review, but now he works for Corsair anyway, so I doubt he will be allowed to trash it in a review. He seems to like it for real though. His tech overview of it was nice, this PSU has all sorts of features like a surge protector built in. But then they go and use a shitty fan. EVGAs upcoming PSU has an in house design, custom red/black singled braided cables standard, a fracking handle, and a fan from the San Ace fan people.

It seems certain I will get one of these two units however. Or perhaps a Seasonic Platinum 1000 unit. The reviews will be allowed online on the 7th BTW. I think Newegg jumped the gun selling it.
 
Jonny Guru will be doing a mini review, but now he works for Corsair anyway, so I doubt he will be allowed to trash it in a review. He seems to like it for real though. His tech overview of it was nice, this PSU has all sorts of features like a surge protector built in. But then they go and use a shitty fan.

The embargo on the PSU reviews is going to be lifted before my mini-review goes live. There will be a review on jonnyguru.com, but it will be written by Tazz. The TweakTown review was pulled because they broke embargo. They're going to have to wait until Monday like everyone else.

I personally have no issues with the fan. Since it's a PWM fan, it can kick in at very low RPM. It also doesn't even spin at all until load is 20%+. By the time you're there, your GPU fans are going to be way louder than the PSU fan. I've had this thing all of the way up to 1200W and I still can't hear the fan. Also, the maximum the fan is going to spin is 1800 RPM despite the max rating of that particular fan. Same can't be said about some other 1200W PSU's I've tested with "better" fans.

Funny... some people just look at paper specs and assume the worse instead of taking into consideration real life scenarios like the fan being controlled via PWM and never hitting maximum RPM's.
 
Last edited:
Ordered up the AX1200i, the reviews were so good.

I was thinking about that new EVGA one, but it turned out to be only gold rated, and seems more focused on bling than performance. Typical EVGA. Don't get me wrong, the bling completely awesome in the pics and the San Ace fan they are using should be top notch, but the rest I expect to be dependable yet average. At least compared to the digital tech the AX1200i is packing. I just wish Corsiar would use a San Ace fan. But the semi fanless operation should make up for it. In fact, I have no idea if the EVGA will have semi fanless or not. And I will not buy a PSU without that function. Seasonic has spoiled me with semi fanless, I won't go back!! :D Seasonic makes great PSUs, but their design sense sucks lol. That gold fan grill on the 1250XM is like puke gold, and were is the single braided cable love? Oh yea, Corsair took it all for themselves!!

I made this decision before I saw your comment JonnyGuru, but it is nice to know I made the right decision and that the fan is decently implemented.
 
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX1200i/
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=300

*Furious fapping*

Now if they managed to release 400-600W psu's with similar dsp controlled design... might be hard to coax Flextronics to produce low-end consumer psu's though.

Too expensive to be competitive with the billions of other units in the market at the wattage range. Seriously, to implement DSP in a PSU that's only 400-600W would create a PSU that's at least twice as expensive as the most expensive unit on the market.

If you're willing to pay that much more for such a unit, might as well just get a 750W or 850W if/when they become available.

So the fan doesn't turn on when most computers are idle? (< 240W)

No. It does not. The fan does not spin at that low of a load.
 
So Jonny, Please post the link to your mini review when it goes live.
 
Corsair is so nice to me. I screwed up a sticker, or rather it came crooked, and I tried to fix it, but by fix it I mutilated it, so Corsair is sending me a new one. WOW!! Great Customer Service!!!!!! Top NOTCH!!!!!
 
Might have to get one... Currently have a Corsair HX750 and am upgrading from a 6990 to two 7970s. Thinking I probably need to update my power supply as well
 
When will HardOCP be posting their review?

For those wanting one, it's 30 dollars less on amazon, but not in stock.
 
It also comes with software to adjust the voltages from inside windows. According to MaxPC. Whats up with the carrying bag? How often do we remove the ps and walk around with it?
 
Might have to get one... Currently have a Corsair HX750 and am upgrading from a 6990 to two 7970s. Thinking I probably need to update my power supply as well

Your two 7970s are fine with the HX750.
 
When will the AX850i be available? I currently have an AX1200 but with a pair of 570s I have no use for it. And it appears that in the future 850W will be more than enough for a pair of even the most powerful video cards.
 
When will the AX850i be available? I currently have an AX1200 but with a pair of 570s I have no use for it. And it appears that in the future 850W will be more than enough for a pair of even the most powerful video cards.

The way PSUs work isn't you buy them to get "enough" power, more is always better. Units should almost NEVER be at or even near load. That 500 watt GPU on the 750 watt psu with all of those add-ons is pushing it. Once you hit around 70-80% it is time to upgrade to something beefier. Look at it this way... http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/load-testing-the-ax1200i-digital-atx-psu

SIDENOTE: NEWEGG HAS IT FOR 15% OFF. Mine was through amazon prior, but unknown ship date. Use promo code "Corsair15PSU"

The PSU is MOST EFFICIENT at 50% load, and get worse the higher the load goes. Every single power supply works this way.

It is going to be a while due to issues with Corsair delivering product on time and scheduling.

No worries, you guys do have the best PSU reviews by far, so looking forward, mine should be here tuesday (just got it through the egg)
 
The way PSUs work isn't you buy them to get "enough" power, more is always better. Units should almost NEVER be at or even near load. That 500 watt GPU on the 750 watt psu with all of those add-ons is pushing it. Once you hit around 70-80% it is time to upgrade to something beefier. Look at it this way... http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/load-testing-the-ax1200i-digital-atx-psu

Thats a really stupid way of looking at it. Your rig is rarely at peak output, except for some outlighing reasons like folding and mining etc etc. Buying a PSU that you could, at best, use 50% of is a complete waste. You will never get that money back in efficency. Infact you'll lose money because your system is contantly so far under 50% that your getting less efficency then a lower watt unit. Unless you're buying to future proof, buy what you need. Then your standard load is close to the 50% mark for max efficency, and if you need to push it, you have the juice for it.

This buying double what you need bullshit has to stop.

PS: I've never seen a 500w single GPU. Just sayin.
 
Thats a really stupid way of looking at it. Your rig is rarely at peak output, except for some outlighing reasons like folding and mining etc etc. Buying a PSU that you could, at best, use 50% of is a complete waste. You will never get that money back in efficency. Infact you'll lose money because your system is contantly so far under 50% that your getting less efficency then a lower watt unit. Unless you're buying to future proof, buy what you need. Then your standard load is close to the 50% mark for max efficency, and if you need to push it, you have the juice for it.

This buying double what you need bullshit has to stop.

PS: I've never seen a 500w single GPU. Just sayin.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7970ghz/Pages/radeon-7970GHz.aspx#2
500W (or greater) power supply with one 150W 8-pin and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended
850W power supply (or greater) with two 150W 8-pin and two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire&#8482; technology.

http://www./hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680/specifications
Thermal and Power Specs:
98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)
195 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
550 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)4
Two 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

The 680 and 7970 will both result in a 500W load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-19.html

you add all of the drives, memory, board, cpu, etc.... its well over 500 or very close for low-end parts. Power is cumulative, if you had a high end GPU and a 500 watt psu, bad things happen.

I'm not blowing smoke or saying you need to buy a 1400 watt psu for a high end pc. NO, heck no, I'm saying buying more then enough is fine, it is actually better then buying just enough. and by "just enough" I don't mean for a 500 watt machine use a 550 watt pc, I mean for a 500 watt machine you are spending the extra 20 dollars and going from 550 to 750 watts. Then you have room to expand.
 
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7970ghz/Pages/radeon-7970GHz.aspx#2


http://www./hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680/specifications


The 680 and 7970 will both result in a 500W load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-19.html

you add all of the drives, memory, board, cpu, etc.... its well over 500 or very close for low-end parts. Power is cumulative, if you had a high end GPU and a 500 watt psu, bad things happen.

I'm not blowing smoke or saying you need to buy a 1400 watt psu for a high end pc. NO, heck no, I'm saying buying more then enough is fine, it is actually better then buying just enough. and by "just enough" I don't mean for a 500 watt machine use a 550 watt pc, I mean for a 500 watt machine you are spending the extra 20 dollars and going from 550 to 750 watts. Then you have room to expand.

Thats FULL SYSTEM load. A GTX 680 uses about 250 watts MAX and the 7970 is 275 watts. They say 500w to include the other system components in their estimate. You could infact run a 680 ona 300 watt PSU with a celeron and a SSD. What you do is find your peak system draw and buy what makes sense for it. Add 50-100watts for over head, and TADA! Buy a unit with solid regulation and low ripple and you'll have a unit that will treat you well.

In no way will "bad things happen" if you put a high end video card on a 500w PSU. Shit I've tested my GTX480 on my HTPCs shitbox huntkey PSU, and it ran fine. You need to do some research before you spout more of this garbage. The only thing you're right about is that there is never too much juice. There is wasted money though, and buying a PSU that you'll only ever use 50% is exactly that. Wasted Money.
 
Thats FULL SYSTEM load. A GTX 680 uses about 250 watts MAX and the 7970 is 275 watts. They say 500w to include the other system components in their estimate. You could infact run a 680 ona 300 watt PSU with a celeron and a SSD. What you do is find your peak system draw and buy what makes sense for it. Add 50-100watts for over head, and TADA! Buy a unit with solid regulation and low ripple and you'll have a unit that will treat you well.

In no way will "bad things happen" if you put a high end video card on a 500w PSU. Shit I've tested my GTX480 on my HTPCs shitbox huntkey PSU, and it ran fine. You need to do some research before you spout more of this garbage. The only thing you're right about is that there is never too much juice. There is wasted money though, and buying a PSU that you'll only ever use 50% is exactly that. Wasted Money.

How about I went to school and built one out of a pile of transistors, learned every aspect of computer electronics and I do know what I'm talking about.

It comes down to this, you load a PSU, it ripples so bad to the point that it isn't a dc signal anymore. The high and low aspects of that signal carry into high and low voltage regulation, lead to components working outside of normal parameters, and end up with something shorting or failing due to that ripple because of the overloaded PSU. Point being, it's 10 dollars for that extra 100 watts, and I will tell every single person that asks to spend that. A 500 watt PSU has no place in a high end gaming pc.

GPU is around 200-300+ watts
Mobo and CPU is around 100-200+ watts (with ram)

Add a hard drive, disk drive, all of those USB devices, that controller panel, the lights, it all adds up.

Read what I said in my previous two posts. I don't recommend getting a 1200 watt PSU for no reason. 900 watts plus is made for multi gpu cases only. I said three times now, if you have a PSU that you only use a portion of, it isn't a waste, and is actually good for the system.
 
Might have to get one... Currently have a Corsair HX750 and am upgrading from a 6990 to two 7970s. Thinking I probably need to update my power supply as well

Nah, you don't "need" to. That 750 will drive a pair of 7970's just fine.
 
How about I went to school and built one out of a pile of transistors, learned every aspect of computer electronics and I do know what I'm talking about.

It comes down to this, you load a PSU, it ripples so bad to the point that it isn't a dc signal anymore. The high and low aspects of that signal carry into high and low voltage regulation, lead to components working outside of normal parameters, and end up with something shorting or failing due to that ripple because of the overloaded PSU. Point being, it's 10 dollars for that extra 100 watts, and I will tell every single person that asks to spend that. A 500 watt PSU has no place in a high end gaming pc.

GPU is around 200-300+ watts
Mobo and CPU is around 100-200+ watts (with ram)

Add a hard drive, disk drive, all of those USB devices, that controller panel, the lights, it all adds up.

Read what I said in my previous two posts. I don't recommend getting a 1200 watt PSU for no reason. 900 watts plus is made for multi gpu cases only. I said three times now, if you have a PSU that you only use a portion of, it isn't a waste, and is actually good for the system.

Except all quality PSUs are designed to keep ripple within ATX spec up to full load, and most beyond full load. Additionally, all components are supposed to be able to reliably work with ripple that is within ATX spec. All this 1% of ATX ripple is purely icing on the cake. Heck, even power supplies that keep it within 80% spec all the way up to full load is fine for long term usage at full load.

Also, do not ever mention that 50% load bullcrap again. It just confuses people.

As for $10 for 100 watts... sometimes it's not just $10. It can be $20 or more, especially on the high-end power supplies. That money could go towards a slightly better GPU, where it has actual tangible benefits.

The portion set aside... As Jorona already covered above, about 90% of the power supply's capacity should be the computer's max THEORETICAL load. And yes, a high end computer can be powered by a 500 watt power supply. Example:

i7 3770k stock: ~75 watts
GTX 680 stock: ~225 watts
Motherboard + RAM: ~50 watts
Peripherals (including several fans and a SSD): ~50 watts

Total: ~400 watts, which is 80% max theoretical load on a 500 watt power supply. And don't tell me that a system sporting a 3770k and a gtx 680 isn't high end.
 
How about I went to school and built one out of a pile of transistors, learned every aspect of computer electronics and I do know what I'm talking about.

It comes down to this, you load a PSU, it ripples so bad to the point that it isn't a dc signal anymore. The high and low aspects of that signal carry into high and low voltage regulation, lead to components working outside of normal parameters, and end up with something shorting or failing due to that ripple because of the overloaded PSU. Point being, it's 10 dollars for that extra 100 watts, and I will tell every single person that asks to spend that. A 500 watt PSU has no place in a high end gaming pc.

GPU is around 200-300+ watts
Mobo and CPU is around 100-200+ watts (with ram)

Add a hard drive, disk drive, all of those USB devices, that controller panel, the lights, it all adds up.

Read what I said in my previous two posts. I don't recommend getting a 1200 watt PSU for no reason. 900 watts plus is made for multi gpu cases only. I said three times now, if you have a PSU that you only use a portion of, it isn't a waste, and is actually good for the system.

Not sure where youre pulling those numbers from but I can tell you that my system (specs in sig) fully loaded is pulling 350 watts from the wall while running OCCT PSU stress test.

A less efficient FX 8150 and 7970 might pull an extra 80-100 watts. Again that's from the wall AND that's OCCT which represents a significantly higher draw than anything you would realistically do on a PC. Power draw from the actual PSU is quite a but less and real world power draw from the PSU is lesser still.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top