Corsair Announces New Carbide Series Cases

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced the Carbide Series™ mid-tower cases. The Carbide Series 400R and 500R have been designed for PC gamers with the same builder-friendly philosophy as the award-winning Obsidian Series™ and Graphite Series™ of PC cases, but at aggressive price points. New system builds and upgrades are fast and simple, thanks to the easy side panel access and tool-free drive installation and removal. Corsair's innovative cable-management system allows for clean-looking builds and improved airflow.

It would really be nice to see Corsair give Lian-li some competition in the all aluminum case arena. Love Corsair Ram, loving the psu as well. As much as I love Lian-li, I would certainly like some more options next time I go case shopping.

It would really be nice to see Corsair give Lian-li some competition in the all aluminum case arena. Love Corsair Ram, loving the psu as well. As much as I love Lian-li, I would certainly like some more options next time I go case shopping.

I'd love to see Corsair take on SFF and HTPC cases too. :cool:

New cases look good Corsair!

Not sure i would complain. The 650D is a great case. Plus, i like it better just in the fact that you can move/remove the drive cages and allow better airflow across the motherboard.

According to the product info page for the 500R you can do this on it as well:

"...500R. It adds a 200mm fan mounted on the side panel’s mesh screen for extra GPU cooling, a multi-channel fan controller, and removable and relocateable hard drive cages"

The cases look great. It would be nice if they can match the performance of the HAF series without the "industrial look"

According to the product info page for the 500R you can do this on it as well:

"...500R. It adds a 200mm fan mounted on the side panel’s mesh screen for extra GPU cooling, a multi-channel fan controller, and removable and relocateable hard drive cages"

The cases look great. It would be nice if they can match the performance of the HAF series without the "industrial look"

Son of a....oh well, i like the looks of the 650D better anyway.

The 650D is a premium case, these new ones are "entry" level ones, more or less.

I think your 650D will do laps around these new cases in terms of quality and craftsmanship.

Theses are smaller looking cases. You can see that by the cabling holes.. Only 1 set to the right of the mobo.

If they added a vented panel to the 650d, itd be perfect.

The 650D is a premium case, these new ones are "entry" level ones, more or less.

I think your 650D will do laps around these new cases in terms of quality and craftsmanship.

I do like the look and quality of the 650D, but the lower price, great functionality, with far superior cooling options of the 400R/500R got it beat. I look forward to whatever final alterations are made to this chassis as it's close to being perfect.

However, would like to see a version with a window of some sort, and maybe a premium all aluminum version (i.e. Carbide with the exterior of an Obsidian).

Not sure i would complain. The 650D is a great case. Plus, i like it better just in the fact that you can move/remove the drive cages and allow better airflow across the motherboard.

My 650d was damaged. The outer box looked fine but there was a good bit of damage inside. I'm RMAing it and I'm not sure I want another.

why not?
im thinking of getting one of the carbides or a 650d. the 650d can be found for $170 but the carbides are around $100

Thats a pretty big difference in price though

I can't afford the 650D, just way too expensive. I know it's really high quality, with some great stamped out metal etc... but that doesn't mean we have better storage, or cooling options :| - it's just superficial additions that add to price.

yes i agree, i think im going to go carbide
probably carbide 400r + h50 (free)=$100
650d + h100=$270

but the option of 650d + h50 = $170 is tempting though...

no i had $40 in gift certificate from the bestbuy/red cross fiasco---my brothers donated blood so i didnt feel bad getting 30 in bestbuy for free--but i found the 650d for $160!

newegg has coupon so $179-$20 MIR = $160!!!!!
damn im pouncing on that

i dont really plan on OC my i7 920 beyond 4GHz, dont think I need the h100?

I really do not think you need the H100 :p

Get it if you want to be badass?

thats the thing though, i dont think i need it lol but i think getting the 650d is better than 500r? consider its $40 difference and i only change cases every 3-4 years--

Hey if you like the 650D, and you have the budget, I think it's a fine case! Certainly something of great quality.

The only issues I know of is that funky fan controller.

i believe they fixed it in the revision which is the one newegg has--haha but is it a $40 difference though...im thinking yes...what exactly does the 400/500 r have over the 650d?

i believe they fixed it in the revision which is the one newegg has--haha but is it a $40 difference though...im thinking yes...what exactly does the 400/500 r have over the 650d?

Some would say the 500R w/ the side 200mm fan would help cooling the gpu, Would be a plus for the 500R over the 650D, But if corsair does come out w/ a side panel w/ mesh like on the 600T, Then that'll kill that Plus for the 500R.

I want something with proper USB 3.0 spots and headers. This stuff should be in everything now!

the 650d has the proper usb 3 headers correct? and i think the carbides do though

As far as I know the Carbides do.. but the 650D does? Argh im so lost in new cases from Computex that I'm forgetting things.

The 650d has 2 3.0, NUT the cables plug into the back panel of the mobo. Not into the headers on the mobo.

No the 650D has 2 usb3.0 cables, But dont plug up to the mobo, You have to use a adapter like the bitfenix thats coming out in july.

I'm not sure I'm feeling these new cases. I guess they are there to compete with the Coolermaster HAF's , and Antec 902's of the world. Compared to the HAF's I guess these would be an improved look. No offense to the HAF owners out there.;)

I'm not sure I'm feeling these new cases. I guess they are there to compete with the Coolermaster HAF's , and Antec 902's of the world. Compared to the HAF's I guess these would be an improved look. No offense to the HAF owners out there.;)

Yeah, the Carbides are direct competition for the HAF 912 Advanced, almost looks like Corsair just took the design prints and added some signature cabling grommets, I have a HAF912 Advanced, using it as a HTPC for $99 its a good deal but night and day with the 650D. but it did come with two 200mm megaflows a black and a clear, that IMO are a better quality fan than the stock Corsair 200mms. The carbide series I am sure will do very well for Corsair, Brilliant product planning, but not for me, once you go Obsidian, you never go back! yuk yuk;)

I don't like that it has a firewire port, who uses that? Hopefully the final version will have something more useful. And it looks like they fixed the USB 3.0 connection issue where you had to plug it in the back, which is good. I would say the extra $30 for the 500R is worth it, not only do you get removable HDDs and an extra fan, the case also looks better, if you notice the top is flush which is one the main issue I have with the look of the 400R.

If the 650D drops to $160 and they fix the USB 3.0 connections though... it might be worth the extra cash. I mean, how often do you get a new case, at least for me if I invest in a 650D I'll use it for at least 5-6 years, so in the long run, an extra $50 for something you look at every day might be worth it, the main functionalities you lose with the 500R, aside from cosmetic ones like the window and the aluminum front, are the easily removable side panel, the extra space on the sides, extra fans, and the HDD dock which I think is an awesome addition.

I think I'll just wait and see if a better revision of the 650D comes out with the connections fixed and hopefully the price drops a bit and I'll make a decision around xmas.

I don't like that it has a firewire port, who uses that? Hopefully the final version will have something more useful. And it looks like they fixed the USB 3.0 connection issue where you had to plug it in the back, which is good. I would say the extra $30 for the 500R is worth it, not only do you get removable HDDs and an extra fan, the case also looks better, if you notice the top is flush which is one the main issue I have with the look of the 400R.

I know, I dont use firewire, I removed the firewire cable from my front panel on the 650D.

If corsair can do the usb3.0 w/ headers for the 500R, WHY cant the do it for the 650D, Makes no sense to be honest.

I think they should make an adapter cable for their cases that use front panel USB3.0 to plug into the motherboard instead of routing out the back.

Does anyone know if the 500R will have the HDD dock? There is a tray on top, I can't tell if it opens up to an HDD dock or if its for something else (cup holder? :D)

I gotta say my main quibble with the Carbide series is the bulges on the sides. It looks silly imo, like the cases are obese. If you're gonna make them wide, why not make the whole thing wide from the base up, it'll still take up the same space. Otherwise I am really digging the white/black version of the 500R, looks like stromtrooper armor which is awesome, but again, those stupid side bulges. If I could see it in person first I might decide it's not so bad, but how can that ever happen.

The 650D looks nice and has 8 expansion slots, I need to quit reading forums and just get a case already.

Back