Corsair A70 CPU heatsink 32 AR free shipping at the egg

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011&Tpk=A70

just installed mine. pretty awesome.

edit. given the way mine was packaged this is the much better deal below thanks XacTactX

Amazon also has it for the same price, for those who get taxed at Newegg, or are Amazon Prime members.
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-P...6RE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294815899&sr=8-1
BTW sweet find, I posted it around a week ago and people liked it.

I was not happy at all with the way my order was packaged. it was only a 300 dollar order but still that was just piss poor. (though everything works)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Best buy is clearing them out at 27.99. Any idea on how to apply the thermal paste? The corsair pdf instruction said just put soem in the middle of the cpu while other said it is better to put thin line of the paste at each of the copper pipe touching the cpu.

Best buy is clearing them out at 27.99. Any idea on how to apply the thermal paste? The corsair pdf instruction said just put soem in the middle of the cpu while other said it is better to put thin line of the paste at each of the copper pipe touching the cpu.

i just installed an HDT cooler tonight (CM Hyper 212+), and the method outlined in this review seems to have worked well. i filled the grooves with thermal paste, wiped flat with a credit card, then applied two small strips as shown in the review. so far so good. read the whole article, some good info in there.

edit: benchmark reviews is apparently blocked for some reason. google search "hdt thermal paste benchmark review" and it's the first link - great article

So do these work for the new 1155? I thought I read somewhere that despite the new socket, it's backward compatible as far as coolers go...

Online or instore? I want to pick one of these up!

The a50 is $17 after rebate, would it be worth the extra ~$15 for the a70?

Last edited:
Online or instore? I want to pick one of these up!

The a50 is $17 after rebate, would it be worth the extra ~$15 for the a70?

Well, the A70 is bigger, has 2 more heatpipes, & has 2 fans (push/pull) instead of the one on the A50. It was worth it to me(I bought one at launch).

best buy website is showing them at 49.99

I just apply a fairly good coat and move the heat sink around. no need to make it more complex then that I think. I am using shin-etsu though

So do these work for the new 1155? I thought I read somewhere that despite the new socket, it's backward compatible as far as coolers go...

The new P67/H67 boards are spec'd to have the same mounting dimensions as the older 1156 and 1366 boards. Theoretically (although I haven't tried it but read it several places) this cooler should work on the new 1155 boards as well.

i have this cooler on my 1155 build, if your ram is close and you have ram with tall heatsinks it gets in the way.

Best buy is clearing them out at 27.99.

Looks like there's a need for some factual evidence of this statement. As previously mentioned, the BB online store still shows the usual retail pricing, but that's not to say the B&M's aren't making shelf space for something else.

Not that I'd trust BB's online inventory listings, there's only 1 store in my region showing stock. I'll see if I can swing by in about 2 hrs to confirm what's going on at the B&M.

Confirmed.

Not to thread crap this posting for the Newegg sale, so here's a link to the BB posting.

BB Corsair A70/A50

why would that be a thread crap? though my local best buy doesn't even card such items. but if you can grab one for that you would be crazy not to. they are pretty awesome.

i just installed an HDT cooler tonight (CM Hyper 212+), and the method outlined in this review seems to have worked well. i filled the grooves with thermal paste, wiped flat with a credit card, then applied two small strips as shown in the review. so far so good. read the whole article, some good info in there.

edit: benchmark reviews is apparently blocked for some reason. google search "hdt thermal paste benchmark review" and it's the first link - great article

What do u mean by i filled the grooves with thermal paste, wiped flat with a credit card?

Does it meant, put some paste on top the the pipe, and use a credit card to smooth it out around the pipe and then use the 2 line method?

What do u mean by i filled the grooves with thermal paste, wiped flat with a credit card?

Does it meant, put some paste on top the the pipe, and use a credit card to smooth it out around the pipe and then use the 2 line method?

you guys are making this WAY to complicated. :p

just smear it on the cpu evenly as you can, use a little more then normal with the direct heat pipe types.

if you get a chance to read that article they do a good job of explaining it. i applied a small amount of paste over each groove (between the heat pipe and the base), and then wiped clean with a straight-edge (credit card in this case) so that paste was only filling the grooves - none left on the surface. then i applied 2 lines like in the article and installed.

you guys are making this WAY to complicated. :p

just smear it on the cpu evenly as you can, use a little more then normal with the direct heat pipe types.

considering i usually only apply thermal paste once throughout the life of a cpu, i figure i will do right. it only takes a couple seconds to apply it correctly. from a heat-transfer perspective it makes sense to eliminate as much air from your mating surface as possible, without smearing on too much (not necessarily saying that's your case, Valset). worst case scenario - i've used small amount more of TIM out of a tube i'll throw away anyway. best case scenario - i've shaved off a degree or two.

According to the AMazon rebate form, it would have had to have been purchased by 31 Dec so only the newegg rebate is still good.

According to the AMazon rebate form, it would have had to have been purchased by 31 Dec so only the newegg rebate is still good.

There's two different rebate forms, an old one like the one you saw for people who bought it recently but haven't printed the form yet, and a current one which is valid through January 31.

if you get a chance to read that article they do a good job of explaining it. i applied a small amount of paste over each groove (between the heat pipe and the base), and then wiped clean with a straight-edge (credit card in this case) so that paste was only filling the grooves - none left on the surface. then i applied 2 lines like in the article and installed.

considering i usually only apply thermal paste once throughout the life of a cpu, i figure i will do right. it only takes a couple seconds to apply it correctly. from a heat-transfer perspective it makes sense to eliminate as much air from your mating surface as possible, without smearing on too much (not necessarily saying that's your case, Valset). worst case scenario - i've used small amount more of TIM out of a tube i'll throw away anyway. best case scenario - i've shaved off a degree or two.
actually the way the A70 is setup that is pretty easy. all you have to do move the heat sink around before you lock it down. this forces the excess paste into the groves. I played with this the last time and worked out perfect. that is why I said use a little more then normal. as for saving a degree or two my general experience is that its more of a case of what kind of paste and the right amount then application methods. (though remember the adage about free advice here;) )I wonder if that isn't a reason the HDT type heat sinks work so well, they may simply be more forgiving in this regard. (no need to lap, easier to get the air out, and so on.)

i almost bought one of these till i saw how loud the thing was. i was hoping this would be quieter then my stock 955 hs, but at 65db under load, i think ill pass.

BestBuys here in Illinois have them on sale too for between $25.99 to $26.99, different stores have different prices apparently. A50 is on sale for $24.99 too.

Back