Corsair 80 plus gold psu, 1200W!

101_5315copy.jpg
Pic from which build/model?
I'm in the market for a modular PS and was eyeing an X750, but maybe I'll wait a bit to see some numbers. These AX units are the first ones I've seen that didn't limit total wattage to the rated wattage, i.e. combined is more than rated.

IIRC Flextronics bought Palo Alto (a Dell OEM) many years ago...

Is component selection on par with SeaSonic (if Flextronic built)?

The picture is from the AX1200...because the AX750 and AX850 are not made by Flextronic...they are made by Seasonic

These AX units are the first ones I've seen that didn't limit total wattage to the rated wattage, i.e. combined is more than rated.

They aren't nearly the first, and why would that even matter?

It doesn't, just represents extended capacity ahead of the 12V rail.

My current PS is a non-modular PCPower 750 Quad, prior to that was a 510SLI. I was wondering what would happen to PCPower after the acquisition by OCZ, we are now finding out in what I perceive to be a lowering of quality through selection of manufacturers. My interest is in the best SeaSonic build I can buy.

Last edited:
ThreadJack warning:

OK, since you'd rather just state I'm wrong rather than educate as to why, I'll illustrate my point with a PS you have reviewed.

750 Quad
+5V=150W
+12V=720W
+3.3V=79W
Combined =949W but the unit is rated 750W continuous, 825W peak. It makes sense to this non-electrical engineer that the limiting factor (power bottleneck if you will) in the quad design is ahead of each individual rail, i.e. the circuits/transformers/whatever that power the rails.

I'm no expert at the inner working of a PS nor do I pretend to be but you've chosen to focus on this point so please explain...

I'm sure glad ive been holding out on that new PSU purchase for my upcoming "Da Box" server build. Hope these will be within my budget. I certainly don't need the capacity of the 1200 with what im planning on running right now but if the 850 comes in at a good price point and has good components and test results because so far this looks like just what the doctor ordered!!!

mmmmm... mmmm .mmmmm delicious. 90% efficiency at 50% load * "oh!" face*

Can't wait to see the [H] reviews.

Paul are there currently any reviews in the works? And if so which models?

RedBeard: any projected retail release dates or pricing?

*subscribing to the thread*

I wouldn't worry about it, the X750 should be extremely close if not exactly the same as the AX750, I'd assume. The only reason I want to upgrade is for the full modular cables.
The AX750 is most likely based on the improved X-series platform that is being used in Seasonic's new lineup.
ThreadJack warning:

OK, since you'd rather just state I'm wrong rather than educate as to why, I'll illustrate my point with a PS you have reviewed.

750 Quad
+5V=150W
+12V=720W
+3.3V=79W
Combined =949W but the unit is rated 750W continuous, 825W peak. It makes sense to this non-electrical engineer that the limiting factor (power bottleneck if you will) in the quad design is ahead of each individual rail, i.e. the circuits/transformers/whatever that power the rails.

I'm no expert at the inner working of a PS nor do I pretend to be but you've chosen to focus on this point so please explain...
The PSU is limited to outputting its total rated wattage. In the case of an 850W PSU, that would be 850W. The reason the combined outputs of all the rails is higher is because that 850W can result from loading the different rails in different ways. For example, you can load the +12V to 600W and the other rails to 250W, or you could load +12V to 800W and the rest to 50W, and the PSU will still be running in spec on all rails both ways (numbers are just random, not representative of any specific PSU model).

According to wikipedia, they are also working on Zune and Xbox 360 for Microsoft and working on Digital picture kiosks for Kodak.

With a lot of personal experience with Kodak picture kiosks....I can say without a doubt they are utterly useless trash....but that is probably more due to Kodak's horribly coded software than the hardware inside. Oddly enough apparently they also make Legos....

A company that makes the Xbox 360 is the last company I would want to make a power supply for my computer.

Was there something wrong with the X650 and X750 that require revisions (X669 and X760)? I honestly can hardly think of how they can improve these much further with current technology.

ThreadJack warning:

Hard to explain thins when you don't make sense.

750 Quad
+5V=150W
+12V=720W
+3.3V=79W

The limitation can be any number of places in the design. The point is the unit is limited to it's rated power output at a given temperature plus a slight fudge factor.

Sorry you feel that way. To be clear, you don't warrant special focused attention and did not receive any, I was just making sure that people didn't get the wrong information about the units that you were spreading.

There are always reviews in the works at various stages :)

I know you probably can't respond because of NDA, but does this 1200W PSU have anything to do with the recent thread regarding broken PSU test equipment?

Was there something wrong with the X650 and X750 that require revisions (X669 and X760)? I honestly can hardly think of how they can improve these much further with current technology.
Just because you can't think of a way to make them better doesn't mean Seasonic's engineers also can't. Everything has room for improvement.
There are always reviews in the works at various stages :)
Like that Silver Power one? :p

I know you probably can't respond because of NDA, but does this 1200W PSU have anything to do with the recent thread regarding broken PSU test equipment?

That would be hilarious if it does, and one of Paul's posts might hint at that.

I don't remember the exact wording, something along the line of "it's always the unusual suspects that do it" (do it being kill the load tester) =D

Hard to explain thins when you don't make sense.

The limitation can be any number of places in the design. The point is the unit is limited to it's rated power output at a given temperature plus a slight fudge factor.

Sorry you feel that way. To be clear, you don't warrant special focused attention and did not receive any, I was just making sure that people didn't get the wrong information about the units that you were spreading.
My bad anyways, I confused models when reading Corsairs spec page. Sorry for the 'tard moment.

I wonder how much difference there is between the AX750 and the X-750. Corsairs unit is $15CDN cheaper on NCIX

And I do wish that Corsair would use San Ace fans instead of those shitty Yate Loons, but I guess I'll have to keep dreaming.

Yes, I have spoken to Corsair about the fan quality and they are very happy with Yate Loon's. It simply is a matter of good enough versus high quality.

When can we expect these in stores? Mid June? July? Christmas? Boxing Day? Eagerly been waiting for these!!!

So is the YL a deal killer? An X750 will fill the need adequately as long as coil whine isn't present, or wait for the X760 (revised X750?)

I am kind of surprised Corsair hasn't put in the San Ace fans....I thought they usually listened pretty well to their customer base...and if people ever complain about Corsair PSUs..they are usually complaining about the fan.....although when the HX620 came out, it was considered a must for silent PC enthusiasts...and it has a Yate Loon fan.

My solution to a loud fan is headphones.

I would kind of surprised Corsair hasn't put in the San Ace fans....I thought they usually listened pretty well to their customer base...and if people ever complain about Corsair PSUs..they are usually complaining about the fan.....although when the HX620 came out, it was considered a must for silent PC enthusiasts...and it has a Yate Loon fan.

My solution to a loud fan is headphones.

Yes we as time has progressed and capacities have gotten larger the noise level across the product line has increased. Also, when the HX620 came out there were few other really quiet options available and few other fan options from those players. Today, that is not the case.

Yes we as time has progressed and capacities have gotten larger the noise level across the product line has increased. Also, when the HX620 came out there were few other really quiet options available and few other fan options from those players. Today, that is not the case.

went back and looked...it was an ADDA fan, not Yate Loon....I thought YL was considered better than ADDA

I thought YL was considered better than ADDA
Not as far as I have ever heard. YL fans are known for being half-decent and super cheap. However, as far as overall quality goes, they're pretty far down the list.

No need for sleeving or NZXT cables with this bad boy. The cables are worth the price of ownership alone.

Corsair really went all out with this power supply. Kudos to them.

No need for sleeving or NZXT cables with this bad boy. The cables are worth the price of ownership alone.

Looks real slick. I am now thinking I'll put off upgrading my psu until these gold 750/850 etcs are released. Hopefully they will follow suit of the 1200 with the all black cabling/sleeving as well.

july august might be too long for me to wait for the ax850, this op1000 is too loud/too long for my lian li. i really want those flat cables though to clean up the case. im really looking hard at the seasonic units right now though. I'll be susbscribing to this thread.

Back