Corsair: 650D

To anyone who might be holding back because of price:

Next up, we have Corsair's Obsidian Series 650D case, which is down from $199.99 to $169.99 with free shipping if you enter the promo code "EMCKCJH34" on the checkout page. You can bring the price down to just $149.99 via a mail-in rebate. In case you didn't get the memo, the 650D is the more rectangular, better-looking sibling of the TR Editor's Choice award-winning Graphite Series 600T. At that price, we'd recommend the 650D for sure. - TechReport

Um. Wow. That would have saved me nearly 90 dollars.

Joe that's just the way tech sells man, you and I and all the early adopters got this amazing off the damn charts 650D chassis 120days ago, to me the brilliance in design of this case is worth an extra 20% to have it as part of my daily. You can always save some dollars by waiting but having this case for 4months now to me it was worth the $199 and $20shipping from Newegg even though we had a few speed bumps with the fantroller issue double fix, still I have zero regrets buying it early. Go Corsair, now can we please have the H100???

Next up, we have Corsair's Obsidian Series 650D case, which is down from $199.99 to $169.99 with free shipping if you enter the promo code "EMCKCJH34" on the checkout page. You can bring the price down to just $149.99 via a mail-in rebate. In case you didn't get the memo, the 650D is the more rectangular, better-looking sibling of the TR Editor's Choice award-winning Graphite Series 600T. At that price, we'd recommend the 650D for sure. - TechReport

I am sure those prices are true but I just dont know how Corsair can let them go at that cost, if the case was $249 I would still feel it money well spent. And someday we will get that line of Corsair superfans as a separate division, and can do the mods anyway we want! Thick 200mmx60mm superfan intake, 140mm rear and the H100 on the ceiling, all stock Corsair, just wishful thinking right now, but I have a feeling Corsair will in time overtake Noctua in fans, 18months or so. And in September the Platinum PSUs should be out, hey Joe ya want an amazing AX850 Hybrid-Silent Corsair PSU with a still remaining 6.5year warranty at a great price?

Here is the Corsair psu AX850 I am selling in Sept, I'll let it go at a great price Joe. Still have the original boxing velvet cover superfoam and all the extras.

IMG_0507-1.jpg

2.jpg

and the Corsair deep pitch blade superfan 200x40mm that I hope George's engineers copy and improve upon.

Last edited:
Joe that's just the way tech sells man, you and I and all the early adopters got this amazing off the damn charts 650D chassis 120days ago, to me the brilliance in design of this case is worth an extra 20% to have it as part of my daily. You can always save some dollars by waiting but having this case for 4months now to me it was worth the $199 and $20shipping from Newegg even though we had a few speed bumps with the fantroller issue double fix, still I have zero regrets buying it early. Go Corsair, now can we please have the H100???

Oh I agree completely. I was and still am ridiculously impressed with the case and have no regrets about paying the premium for it when I did. Can't believe I put up with my old Antec clunker for so long.

For anyone building a system right now that does not absolutely require a full tower, and they don't want to go bonkers on a Lian-Li, I can't see why this case wouldn't be the one to go with. I had the same excitement being one of the first people to have this case as I did when I was one of the first people to get a Core2Duo.

And in September the Platinum PSUs should be out, hey Joe ya want an amazing AX850 Hybrid-Silent Corsair PSU with a still remaining 6.5year warranty at a great price?

Here is the Corsair psu AX850 I am selling in Sept, I'll let it go at a great price Joe. Still have the original boxing velvet cover and all the extras.

If the Platinum PSUs will be out in September, I might just wait until then. I think my HX620 is doing me good for now, or at least it was last I understood what my needs were. I know you modded your PSU (something I don't have the balls to do yet) so that's badass and if for some reason I'm not in line with you to get a Platinum, then I might take you up on that. Power requirements for components seem to be dropping, except for GPUs. Since Kepler is MIA, once again, it's up in the air.

At what point do you think I would need to upgrade my rig with something other than the HX620?

Last edited:
Well Joe that’s a really good question how much psu do you need. I don’t look at it that way since I am a silent enthusiast I want a psu whose fan NEVER spins up. And the AX850 fan only spins at like 30% load of its maximum 850watts and then it just goes into silent mode, which I have seen it spin and I cannot hear it, so it must be 10db or 12db, it only makes any noise over the 50% of load, and I have never heard that since I have owned it, so I don’t purchase a psu based on the amount of power I need I purchase a psu on as high as wattage as is available in a Hybrid-Silent design that way the 30%load is at higher wattage before the fan even spins and the 50% load is also at higher wattage. Honestly I have never heard any sound from my Seasonic-based Corsair engineered/modified AX850psu, the fan never spins under normal use so I don’t use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to figure which psu to buy, if I did I could probably get by on a 450watt. If Corsair’s new line of Platinum grade hybrid-silent psus include a 750w an 850w a 1050w and a 1200w I will get the 1050 or 1200, not because I need 1200watts but because the audibility curve, that 30% load will be a higher number with a 1200w than a 750w, thus my fan will never spin up so Zero decibel output, get what I mean? Right now the AX850 and AX750 are Hybrid-Silent designs, the AX1200 is NOT so no reason for me to purchase it, it’s fan runs ALL THE Time, no matter what the load or ambient room temp. It’s not a Seasonic based, It’s a Futuretronics design. Sorry for getting so technical but yeah if you want an ultra-quiet pc sitting right next to you on your desktop, you want a Corsair psu that produces NO Sound at all.

Last edited:
Oh I agree completely. I was and still am ridiculously impressed with the case and have no regrets about paying the premium for it when I did. Can't believe I put up with my old Antec clunker for so long.

For anyone building a system right now that does not absolutely require a full tower, and they don't want to go bonkers on a Lian-Li, I can't see why this case wouldn't be the one to go with. I had the same excitement being one of the first people to have this case as I did when I was one of the first people to get a Core2Duo.

If the Platinum PSUs will be out in September, I might just wait until then. I think my HX620 is doing me good for now, or at least it was last I understood what my needs were. I know you modded your PSU (something I don't have the balls to do yet) so that's badass and if for some reason I'm not in line with you to get a Platinum, then I might take you up on that. Power requirements for components seem to be dropping, except for GPUs. Since Kepler is MIA, once again, it's up in the air.

At what point do you think I would need to upgrade my rig with something other than the HX620?

Dude I modded my old Corsair HX850 Professional Series Silver with a 140mm Noctua fan, not my AX850 Professional Series Gold, in the photo above, its never been touched, still has it's Corsair 7-year warranty intact. No need to mod a psu that produces no sound at all. The AX Gold is the one I am selling, didn't mean to confuse ya dude.

Last edited:

pretty sure your HX620 fan runs 100% of the time, its not a hybrid-silent design, awesome psu no doubt but if you are aiming towards silence then consider the Corsair Hybrid-Silents they are fanless up to 30% zero noise, and if you throw on a game then they go into silent mode which is super quiet and you wont hear it over your speakers at all.

For fucks sake, quite multiposting and use the edit button, this thread is alreeady full of useless non 650D posts, that you triple posting is garbaging the thread.

And yes I know the irony of my post.

I have a confession. I have always "struggled" with proper cable management. (By struggled I mean it was non-existent). Here is what I am talking about:

Before2.jpg

I am not a very patient person, and generally I'm short on time whenever I take my PC apart or add/remove a component. Part of the challenge was also my case. I had been using an Antec 900 for almost two years. I finally got tired of taking an entire hard drive cage out just to get access to one hard drive, and I started looking at other cases with perpendicular hard drive access. I also wanted something that would help me clean up my wiring as it was at a point where I think the clutter of wires was starting to affect my temps. This search led me to the Corsair 650D, for a variety of reasons. I can't believe how easy this case is to work with. The above mess turned in to this:

After2.jpg

I would recommend this without reservation to anyone considering this case. There are plenty of reviews out there so I won't rehash all of the wonderful aspects of this case, but it's a gem.

I mentioned this earlier, but the only minor issue I had was that it would have been nice to have another half an inch or so on the back side for cable management. It's a little snug but it works.

As far as the components, this is what's in the case:

i7-2600K
Asus P8P67
16GB G Skill Ripjaws X Series 1333
5870 1GB Sapphire GPU
2 x 120GB Intel 510 SSD (Raid 0)
64GB Microcenter SSD
2 x 640 GB WD Cavair Black
1TB WD Caviar Black
750W Antec Earthwatts
Generic DVD burner
Cooler Master 212+
Corsair 650D

At this point I'm very satisfied with my system. I will be upgrading the CPU cooling to either a Noctua NH-D14 or the new Corsair H80 - I haven't made up my mind and I'm waiting on some reviews of the H80.

Just thought I would share my before and after. Maybe this gives hope to someone else that is "cable management" challenged :)

Last edited:
For fucks sake, quite multiposting and use the edit button, this thread is alreeady full of useless non 650D posts, that you triple posting is garbaging the thread.

And yes I know the irony of my post.

My friend I have tried, I cannot remember you ever adding anything positive or helpful to anyone in this thread, yet you continue to post for what reason? To create evil or deliver it for your own sake? Life is way too short to be as destructive as you really are, get some help. No one garbages this thread more than pure evil like yourself. This thread is about helping people decide the chassis best for them and how to make the 650D work best for them, yet all you do is destroy that positive motion. You don't really care about anyone really triple posting you are just angry and taking it out on the closest soul available. You don't even ask questions from others who already own the chassis, you just spread your anger to people that have done nothing to you.

Last edited:
I have a confession. I have always "struggled" with proper cable management. (By struggled I mean it was non-existent). Here is what I am talking about:

Before2.jpg

I am not a very patient person, and generally I'm short on time whenever I take my PC apart or add/remove a component. Part of the challenge was also my case. I had been using an Antec 900 for almost two years. I finally got tired of taking an entire hard drive cage out just to get access to one hard drive, and I started looking at other cases with perpendicular hard drive access. I also wanted something that would help me clean up my wiring as it was at a point where I think the clutter of wires was starting to affect my temps. This search led me to the Corsair 650D, for a variety of reasons. I can't believe how easy this case is to work with. The above mess turned in to this:

After2.jpg

I would recommend this without reservation to anyone considering this case. There are plenty of reviews out there so I won't rehash all of the wonderful aspects of this case, but it's a gem.

I mentioned this earlier, but the only minor issue I had was that it would have been nice to have another half an inch or so on the back side for cable management. It's a little snug but it works.

As far as the components, this is what's in the case:

i7-2600K
Asus P8P67
16GB G Skill Ripjaws X Series 1333
5870 1GB Sapphire GPU
2 x 120GB Intel 510 SSD (Raid 0)
64GB Microcenter SSD
2 x 640 GB WD Cavair Black
1TB WD Caviar Black
750W Antec Earthwatts
Generic DVD burner
Cooler Master 212+
Corsair 650D

At this point I'm very satisfied with my system. I will be upgrading the CPU cooling to either a Noctua NH-D14 or the new Corsair H80 - I haven't made up my mind and I'm waiting on some reviews of the H80.

Just thought I would share my before and after. Maybe this gives hope to someone else that is "cable management" challenged :)

That before and after is like a PC-Makeover, such an improvement same components, much better chassis, WOW! Could not agree with you more, I had the CM Stacker 830 black special edition for like 18months a beautiful brushed aluminum mesh gem of a case on the outside, a cable management nightmare on the inside, the 650D is so much more amazing, happy you are loving it!;)

I have owned the Noctua NH-D14 since 2009 check my photos on this page, it's the same amazing performer as the 650D, but that Corsair H100 is my next choice it just has way too many positives going for it!

Last edited:

Damn that is definitely tempting. I have been eying the 600T white edition even though I am not usually a fan of white.

Of course I haven't fully thought and planned out building another PC, but may have to grab the case in the meantime.

I saw this case, and knew I'd want it for my Ivy Bridge upgrade next year. The NewEgg deal was the kicker.

This will replace my custom-ed Antec P160W that I have had since 2004, which started with an Athlon XP-M 2500+ (clocked at 2.4GHz) and is currently housing the system in my sig. I'd probably keep it but for wanting front USB 3.0 ports. I got my money out of it though, and then some; as cases go, it was way ahead of its time when I bought it. Back then you couldn't even get sleeved power supplies; I had to do it all myself.

That's pretty good pricing down south it seems, funny enough, when I bought my case in March I paid $157.99 up here in Canada and that's pretty much been the going rate ever since.
Seems like for once we got something cheaper up here. :)

I have owned the Noctua NH-D14 since 2009 check my photos on this page, it's the same amazing performer as the 650D, but that Corsair H100 is my next choice it just has way too many positives going for it!

Let me know if/when you're ready to part with the NH-D14, we may be able to work something out. I promise I'll give it a good home :)

OK, who's going to start a 650D gallery thread? I've seen talk about it but nothing yet.

That's pretty good pricing down south it seems, funny enough, when I bought my case in March I paid $157.99 up here in Canada and that's pretty much been the going rate ever since.
Seems like for once we got something cheaper up here. :)

Same, got mine in March from "The Unamable Store" and used the other Direct company to lower it. Had to wait l.ike 3 weeks, yet they said it was in stock.

s1175290 --> Nice job, the 900 was cramped, mine was a bit better than yours, i had 2 drives, but 2 gpu's with customed up cable holes, and switching to the 650 actually reminded me of when I had first built my system using a 8800gt and 1 drive making the 900 look ginormous.

Hi

How's this case compare to the HAF 932?
I dislike the 932 because it doesn't have dust filters! (every once in a while the front panel vibrates as well)

Anyways that's what it would replace if I decide to get this case..which I really want to do :p

Like the difference between bath tub gin (HAF 932) and Jack Daniels. Of course, my opinion may be biased. I actually like the 932 but the 650 is way nicer.

You might lose some of your air cooling. The case is great, but loses in airflow against cases like the hafs

I have a confession. I have always "struggled" with proper cable management.

I am very much in the same boat as you. I ordered the 800D because my antec 900 looks worse than yours as far as cable management goes ( and I tried :( ) I can't wait to build a system in the new case.

What you might lose (and I say might) to other cases regarding airflow could be negligible unless you are under circumstances where every single degree matters for the stability of your system.

This system can also become much more quiet than several other cases people have mentioned having better airflow. There is a trade off, and if you are to the point of nitpicking that much of a difference, then you are to the point where you should be purchasing other fans and doing other mods.

Anyone using a mATX board with this case?

I'm debating on getting the Maximus Gene IV over the P8Z68-V Pro to use with this case. Not sure if anyone would use a mATX board with this case lol.

I have both boards and this case. The Pro is installed in the 650D. The Gene-Z has (3) 4-pin chassis fan headers and a few more functions in the BIOS, but it only has HDMI out and no PCI slots. If you need more real estate with the expansion slots, go with the Pro. There are other subtle differences, which I'm too lazy to type. Both are excellent boards so far.

Anyone using a mATX board with this case?

I'm debating on getting the Maximus Gene IV over the P8Z68-V Pro to use with this case. Not sure if anyone would use a mATX board with this case lol.

you probably can put in 2 of those m-ATX boards in that thing.

Mine just arrived today. W00t! Man, that's one heavy box.

Can any Radeon 6970 owners tell me if the drive cages need to be done side-by-side (as opposed to the default top-to-bottom) to accommodate the card?

Thanks for the info.

One other question. Are most people orienting their CPU fans to go towards the back of the case, or the top of the case?

I have a Thermalright TRUE Black Edition, and I'd like to get the coolest results.

I hate all the folks in this thread that put up photos of such great 650D builds.:) I was really trying to hold out for a Fractal Design Arc Midi, but the wait was too much to bear.

Damn, I should have ordered this case earlier in the week. Now I'm all excited with no 650D until next week.

Thanks for the info.

One other question. Are most people orienting their CPU fans to go towards the back of the case, or the top of the case?

I have a Thermalright TRUE Black Edition, and I'd like to get the coolest results.

Mine are both horizontal toward the back still. My top is exhaust, as is the rear fan.

I haven't had the time to experiment with orienting it in a vertical fashion. Has anyone else done this and noticed a significant difference? I recently went from 2x2GB to 2x4GB, so I'm trying to do everything I can to get as much of an overclock as possible back, so if the difference is legit I might have to try it.

Good thing I don't have 2 research papers and a trip to Boston this week!

How exactly do you remove unwanted wires from the front panel IO? I opened up the front panel IO box and all the wires are soldered to the ports, I thought perhaps they would just unclip but I can't seem to see how.

I have a ton of cables that I don't use that I would love to remove.

The USB3.0, USB2.0, and Firewire cables are just sitting inside a small U shape in the panel, I just lifted them out and done. The front panel cables that connect to the mobo are soldered on. You can even change the color of the power LED and hdd LED by simply removing the led from the small hole w/ a clip and replacing it w/ a prewired led. I did that with mine, Now my LEDS are both red :)

The USB3.0, USB2.0, and Firewire cables are just sitting inside a small U shape in the panel, I just lifted them out and done. The front panel cables that connect to the mobo are soldered on. You can even change the color of the power LED and hdd LED by simply removing the led from the small hole w/ a clip and replacing it w/ a prewired led. I did that with mine, Now my LEDS are both red :)

Do you mean just the cable itself comes out, or do you remove the actual socket itself, I saw that you could take the socket out entirely, but it didn't look like just the cable came out.

Do you mean just the cable itself comes out, or do you remove the actual socket itself, I saw that you could take the socket out entirely, but it didn't look like just the cable came out.

I took off the front panel, unscrewed everything just because that made it easier to handle.

I then removed the cables by simply lifted them up and out. Pretty sure you can remove everything. All I have left are the audio ports and 2 usb ports. Everything else was gutted.

My case came. Now I just have to wait for this mainboard to become available (expected in August).

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

It's either that or wait for Ivy Bridge/Intel 7-series mainboards, and I'm not sure I can be patient that long.

Wow. That board is amazing. What CPU are you using now and what are you planning on using with that?

Last edited:

Ya the cables just lifted out of the sockets.

Might be a stupid question, but I ordered the 650d with a MSI P67A-C43 (B3). I believe that board won't use all of the pre-installed stand offs the case provides.Can the unused ones be removed easily?

Back