Corsair 620HX - Modular - $90 AR Amazon

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
This seemed like a good deal to me. But then again, I sometimes wonder if a Corsair PSU is all hype. I mean what makes their psus so special? It's $110 then $90 After rebate. Only reason I got it is because it's modular, and I know it can handle my on board graphics, and possibly a future graphics upgrade. :p - good thing right now too is $3.99 one day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261577351&sr=1-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a great deal on the 620W. The HX series is modular while the TX are made slightly cheaper and are not modular. I would not hesitate to take the HX620, which is plenty for nearly all applications.

Corsair's PSUs are made by Seasonic and Channel Wells. They are both good providers.

Granted, my Seasonic X750 was defective and now my Corsair HX650's fan has started to make a ticking noise...

But anyway, Corsair is well known for their support and service, so that's a large factor in a purchasing decision.

Similarly, I would NOT buy from Newegg if I had the option to buy from Amazon.

This is a great PSU for a mid-range system. Build quality is very good and in addition to modular it uses "flat" cables so it is very easy to run everything out of sight.

Yah, about that, amazon right now has a promotion going on where you can sign up for a free trial of amazon prime. Sign up for amazon prime trial(free), then order the psu, and select one day shipping for $3.99 - Go back to your account settings, and turn the auto renewal to prime off. However, if you order from amazon a lot, and would like to keep Prime, just leave it on. I could definitely see Prime saving people money on shipping in the long run especially if you buy a lot of books, or whatever on amazon.

This is a great PSU for a mid-range system. Build quality is very good and in addition to modular it uses "flat" cables so it is very easy to run everything out of sight.

People have used this psu to power a 4870x2. I wouldn't necessarily call that mid-range. I would definitely not use this psu to power a 5970 however, or a gtx295 that's for sure.

This is a real 620w PSU, it will pratically power your house.

Ok, maybe not, but still this thing kicks serious ass compared to the oversold BS that most PSUs are.

This will probably power most peoples rigs just fine.

But then again, I sometimes wonder if a Corsair PSU is all hype. I mean what makes their psus so special?
There's nothing "special" about their PSUs aside from the fact that they are simply very good-quality units that can output their rated power at up to 50C without any problems. The hype is simply because Corsair is one of the most consistently good PSU brands out there. Quite literally every single one of their units is a quality PSU and can be counted on to supply its rated power, unlike many other brands.
Even if it could be I don't think it's recommended. I don't think you'd have that much of a buffer zone especially if using multiple hard drives, fans, accessories, and possible overclocking.
An HX620 is plenty for a system with a single GTX295 or 5970, even with some overclocking.

But anyway, Corsair is well known for their support and service, so that's a large factor in a purchasing decision.
Evidently you've never meet their Will-Call staff (calling their attitude lackluster is being VERY VERY generous.) Yes, I used to love them. No, I don't any more.

The deal is most companies oversell their PSUs that really cannot perform near what they are "rated" and thus the industry and people have gotten used to buying PSUs that are rated for way more than what is required (and even companies like ATI/nVidia recommend higher amounts than needed). When quality PSUs come around that deliver what they state, the buying overkill gets a bit ridiculous. Most rigs really do not use that much power at all and people put these huge PSUs in them....Fans, HDDs, lights, etc. use barely any power at all.

Evidently you've never meet their Will-Call staff (calling their attitude lackluster is being VERY VERY generous.) Yes, I used to love them. No, I don't any more.

That is pretty common of any willcall/warehouse staff. Not exactly something to judge a company that deeply on IMO.

Not sure if this is such a hot deal when you can get a high quality zephyr 1000 watt psu on the cheap now. I'd get the 1000 watt psu if you need more power IMO.

this is an excellent deal for an excellent psu. i have it in my rig for the past (slightly less than) two years and have used this or other HX series in all other builds for friends.

I just bought one myself for my Untangle Box. This makes 3 of the 4 boxes in the house running Corsair HX620s, and my main rig with a whopping HX1000!

I don't understand what exactly makes a high quality psu. Is it the components? And what exactly makes a corsair psu different from other psus besides their name.

I don't understand what exactly makes a high quality psu. Is it the components? And what exactly makes a corsair psu different from other psus besides their name.

Components, how well it delivers the power, if it can hold the power steady under stressful conditions, etc. Things like ripple can do some serious damage to components or just keep things from working well when stressed (such as OCing).

When in doubt...most PSUs are shit that deliver no where close to what they say :p

It's components and design. All of that naturally contributes to cost (higher-quality components are more expensive, better designs cost a lot of R&D money to develop), which is why better PSUs generally cost more. As for the Corsair thing, I explained that already in an earlier post.

just a heads up for people signing up for amazon prime. it will auto update once the trial is over with your credit card on store. so make sure you tell it not to after sign up for it.

edit: oh and i bought this PSU on newegg for 109 on the egg awhile ago. great psu. powers my 260GTX np.

Back