• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair 620 HX

funcantonguy73

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
108
Just an amazing PSU. Running my new build and its' quiet as a mouse and stable and performing every bit as well as the hype surrounding it. I am glad I went for the bigger one as I do plan on adding a 2nd 8800 GTS in the future , dual core cpu , 2 more gig of ram and more HD's. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Corsair 620 HX as a totally kick butt power supply. Sucker is heavy to just in case anyone was wondering.
 
Just an amazing PSU. Running my new build and its' quiet as a mouse and stable and performing every bit as well as the hype surrounding it. I am glad I went for the bigger one as I do plan on adding a 2nd 8800 GTS in the future , dual core cpu , 2 more gig of ram and more HD's. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Corsair 620 HX as a totally kick butt power supply. Sucker is heavy to just in case anyone was wondering.

Glad you like it, thanks for choosing Corsair.
 
For my new PC build a couple weeks ago, I was going to go with a Silverstone, but when
I was in the store, I saw those Corsair HX's and picked one up. A truly fantastic power
supply. I also have the 620 and couldn't be happier.
 
I have a 620HX in my shopping cart at new egg right now for my new $2000 build.
I'm just waiting for my tax return...

(oh yeah, off topic, but 2GB if Corsair RAM too)
 
yep. incredible PSU. 4 months on a workstation and absolutely no problems.

anyone know when Corsair is going past 700 watts? I'm finally building a gaming rig and I'm going to go all-out on the build. (DX10 Crossfire)
 
I agree. The 620 is nice. Corsair would be crazy not to be exploring the higher wattage arena. I'd bet that they are working on something.
 
yep. incredible PSU. 4 months on a workstation and absolutely no problems.

anyone know when Corsair is going past 700 watts? I'm finally building a gaming rig and I'm going to go all-out on the build. (DX10 Crossfire)

We're working on stuff now. To be honest, we could have released an 850 or 1KW PSU by now if we weren't very particular about the quality and were willing to settle for something that's almost the same as everybody else on the market.

We're kind of weird that way, we'd rather wait and come out with the perfect part than come out with something that has a few flaws just because it's faster.

I'm not saying that all 850 or 1KW PSUs on the market are crap or anything, just that anything we've looked at so far just hasn't quite stood out. We want to release a part that is quiet, powerful, stable, reliable, and meets our quality control standards. We're working on stuff, but I can't tell you exactly what.

Since our current 620 is as powerful as most other people's 700 or 750W PSUs when it comes to real-world specs, I'm not too concerned with it being unable to run today's high-end systems. I know it'll run just about anything out there, and our next gen will do even better.
 
I too have heard, not just from Redbeard, that the 620 (which I just installed in my antec 900!) is closer to a 750watt PSU.

It's funny how in the past a "500w" PSU would really be like 300-350. I bought a 620 that's really a 750!
 
Congrats on the purchase.

The HX 620 just has more power on the +12v rails than most other power supplies. Granted, there are psu's with more juice, but those come at a significant price premium to the Corsair.

I recommend the HX 620 from anywhere BUT newegg. Try ZipZoomFly, they are cheaper and have free shipping.
 
<< 620 HX Owner here. Best power supply I've ever owned. I can't believe how quiet it is!!
 
I went from a PCP&C 510W to the HX 620W and it's amazing how much quieter the Corsair is.
I love the all black cables too.
 
Does anyone know if there is a problem with mounting the Corsair 620HX in a Lian-Li V1000-1200? I'm worried that the fan won't allow it to be mounted on top of that piece of metal that keeps the PSU level.
 
I currently own the 520W and very pleased with it and I would very much like to get the 620W.
But can it handle:
Intel e6600
975 or 680i board (this part is holding up my Rig)
2 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400C4
8800GTS
3 HDD 7200rpm
1-2 DVD Burners
4-5 USB Devices
3-4 120 Fans
1-2 PCI-x Cards

Extreme Power calls real close at about ~634W. Maybe some more add ons maybe less...

As much as I would like to see some new (bigger) models available I am so glad Corsair continues thier QA and does not rush product out the door until its ready. :D

Currently eyeing the next closest thing...Seasonic M12 700W
 
Does anyone know if there is a problem with mounting the Corsair 620HX in a Lian-Li V1000-1200? I'm worried that the fan won't allow it to be mounted on top of that piece of metal that keeps the PSU level.

Have one in a V1200. It actually sits perfectly and is whisper quiet. No worries.
 
I really hope Corsair maintains quality standards with their PSUs (as with their excellent RAM).

It would be a pity to see another case of Antec. quality ---> crap

*just realized that in the last 3 years, I've completely transitioned from Antec/Crucial to Chenbro/Corsair for all my builds. (and all the upgtades for our small office).
 
Another can it handle my propose system:

MB: Striker/eVGA 680 (haven't decided yet)
RAM: Corsair 4GB 8500C5D
HD Set1: 2x150GB Raptors(1 for WinXP the other for Linux) Dual Boot
HD Set2: 4x500GB 7200 HD in Raid 5
HD Set3: 4x500GB 7200 HD in Raid 5
Video: 8800GTX(most likely will be doing SLI within 6 months)
PCI: Raid Hardware Controller
Fans: eight 120x25 fans
DVD-RW: one for now and later on a HD-DVD(maybe from the 360 :) )

and would like some extra room in case I decide to add a PCI sound card.

I did try one of those power calculator and came somewhere at 1Kwatt. I'll try some other power calculator to see if the results from others are consistent.

Thanks!
 
Another can it handle my propose system:

MB: Striker/eVGA 680 (haven't decided yet)
RAM: Corsair 4GB 8500C5D
HD Set1: 2x150GB Raptors(1 for WinXP the other for Linux) Dual Boot
HD Set2: 4x500GB 7200 HD in Raid 5
HD Set3: 4x500GB 7200 HD in Raid 5
Video: 8800GTX(most likely will be doing SLI within 6 months)
PCI: Raid Hardware Controller
Fans: eight 120x25 fans
DVD-RW: one for now and later on a HD-DVD(maybe from the 360 :) )

and would like some extra room in case I decide to add a PCI sound card.

I did try one of those power calculator and came somewhere at 1Kwatt. I'll try some other power calculator to see if the results from others are consistent.

Thanks!

I'd be a bit concerned about the hard drives only because they are in RAID 5, to be honest.

I have the following system:

Athlon64 FX-62 (@ 3.3 GHz)
M2N32-SLI Deluxe MBD
2x 7950GT in SLI
5x 7200 RPM SATA HDD
1x 10k RPM Raptor X HDD
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
2x DVD-RW Drives
2x Corsair 8888C4D

running on an HX520, but you've got almost twice the drives I'm using.

Just from a rough eyeballing, your system, in worst-case scenario and depending on your processor and overclock, could use up to 50-60A on the +12V rails. I doubt it'd ever get to that point, but hey. You might be better off, by the way, using a NAS box instead of having all those RAID 5 drives in your main system, it'd allow you to easily run your gaming box as a gaming box, and use your storage like it was intended to be used, a huge file dump (I assume).
 
Thanks Redbeard! The reason for the hard drives are for video editing. The second set will contain all the unedited videos files and once they are finalized, moved over to the third set for storage.

I'll read up more on the NAS and compare the cost and see if they are fast enough for video editing. I'm sure they are and I've seen them on video editing websites.

Again, thanks a lot for your help! This is the reason why I prefer Corsair products over others. It's because Corsair's employees acutally log into forums and participate in discussions and help out!

Ramguy on Corsair's forums, Yellowbeard on the other forums, and yourself on this forums! Keep up the good work!
 
I spotted Ramguy at Newegg too. His account can respond to customer reviews on Corsair products
 
I'm going to sell my unopened 520 to get the 620, I have a feeling the cheaper 8800 cards coming out are going to be a great value to SLI.
 
I spotted Ramguy at Newegg too. His account can respond to customer reviews on Corsair products

It's a pretty new feature, but I kind of like it honestly. It gives us the chance to try and track down errors that people might be getting. Normally a bad review would be a guy going "this product sucks it wouldn't even work", now it's that same guy, but we can ask him to get us his configuration so that we can test it in the lab to determine if it's a real problem.

As you imagine, we can't possibly test every module with every motherboard and every processor, so when we see 10 guys with a specific board and a specific set of memory having a specific problem, we test it to duplicate it and then work with the board manufacturer to fix it.
 
It's a pretty new feature, but I kind of like it honestly. It gives us the chance to try and track down errors that people might be getting. Normally a bad review would be a guy going "this product sucks it wouldn't even work", now it's that same guy, but we can ask him to get us his configuration so that we can test it in the lab to determine if it's a real problem.

As you imagine, we can't possibly test every module with every motherboard and every processor, so when we see 10 guys with a specific board and a specific set of memory having a specific problem, we test it to duplicate it and then work with the board manufacturer to fix it.

And thats why you guys rock!!
 
+1 for the 620. I just ordered it from ZipZoomFly Friday!

R.I.P. Hiper Type-R 580w. It lasted a year almost to the day...(love/loved modular cabling and connectors!)
 
I'd be a bit concerned about the hard drives only because they are in RAID 5, to be honest.

I have the following system:

Athlon64 FX-62 (@ 3.3 GHz)
M2N32-SLI Deluxe MBD
2x 7950GT in SLI
5x 7200 RPM SATA HDD
1x 10k RPM Raptor X HDD
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
2x DVD-RW Drives
2x Corsair 8888C4D

running on an HX520, but you've got almost twice the drives I'm using.

Just from a rough eyeballing, your system, in worst-case scenario and depending on your processor and overclock, could use up to 50-60A on the +12V rails. I doubt it'd ever get to that point, but hey. You might be better off, by the way, using a NAS box instead of having all those RAID 5 drives in your main system, it'd allow you to easily run your gaming box as a gaming box, and use your storage like it was intended to be used, a huge file dump (I assume).
Hmm, I have the following system

Intel E6300 @ 2.8GHz
Intel D975XBX2
X1950XT
8 x Seagate 320GB RAID5
1 x WD740ADFD
Highpoint 2320
Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Samsung DVD-RW
2 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 1000
HX620

no problems at all so far, should I be worried?
 
Hmm, I have the following system

Intel E6300 @ 2.8GHz
Intel D975XBX2
X1950XT
8 x Seagate 320GB RAID5
1 x WD740ADFD
Highpoint 2320
Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Samsung DVD-RW
2 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 1000
HX620

no problems at all so far, should I be worried?

Your video card takes considerably less power than 2 8800GTXs in SLI mode. The HX620 will probably run that guy's system just fine, but I don't want to tell him "yeah it will work I guarantee" and then have it not boot up 1/5 times or something.

Your system works great, and it's good to see all those hard drives working like that with an X1950XT, which is not a low end card by any stretch of the imagination.
 
Your video card takes considerably less power than 2 8800GTXs in SLI mode. The HX620 will probably run that guy's system just fine, but I don't want to tell him "yeah it will work I guarantee" and then have it not boot up 1/5 times or something.

Your system works great, and it's good to see all those hard drives working like that with an X1950XT, which is not a low end card by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah I have no intentions of doing dual video cards.
Is it the second video card in his system that makes you hesitant to OK it?

I was thinking of adding another Raptor, and I should probably enable the staggered spin up on my RAID card - no reason not to.
 
Yeah I have no intentions of doing dual video cards.
Is it the second video card in his system that makes you hesitant to OK it?

I was thinking of adding another Raptor, and I should probably enable the staggered spin up on my RAID card - no reason not to.

Well, each of his 8800GTX cards will use around 14A at full load off the +12V rail.
Then each of his 9 hard drives could use 3A on boot if they spin up simultaneously.
Add another 12A (nightmare overclocked X6800, not sure what he's really using) on the CPU
Another 3A for motherboard and other devices on the +12V.

Now you're at 60-70A on the +12V rail in an absolute worst-case scenario where everything is running at full load and all the drives are copying data at once.

In real-life use, the hard drives won't use more than 1A or so during operation, which brings us into the safe range (42-52A) for the HX620's official 50C spec, and since most internal case temps run between 35C and 40C anyway, I'm confident the PSU COULD run it, save for the fact that with 9 hard drives and two 8800GTXs in there, I imagine his internal case temp is going to be absurdly high.

Do I think it will run it? Yeah, I think you could plug it in and I'm 90% sure it wouldn't cause any problems at all. But that last 10% leaves me a bit uncomfortable, because I can imagine a nightmare scenario where our PSU DOES fail to power that system, so I recommended a better solution, which is to separate your storage from your system, whenever possible.
 
Back
Top