Corsair 520W vs 620W recommendations?

cpajr25

n00b
Hello All, I’m a noob on posting here but have been reading lots of threads and doing some research on PS's. I'm looking for a new PS to replace my 5 yr old Enermax Whisper 431W PS because I'm getting lots of issues booting and some of the 4-pin peripheral connectors are coming apart with loose wires. So I'm going to get a new PS to make me happy. :D

My setup is currently:
Abit AN7
AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton
AeroCool Glacier CPU Fan
BFG 6800 OC
Kingston HyperX PC4000 DDR 500 1GB (512MB x 2)
Western Digital 80Gig HD
2 Optical Drives (DVD ROM & CD Burner)
4 Case Fans
LED Feet

Pending Upgrades within the next year?
1) Upgrading to probably 2 HD's like a Raptor HD for OS and Mass Storage HD for media.
2) Upgrading Processor & Motherboard (possible dual core).
3) Upgrading to PCI-e.

Probably not going to do SLI or CrossFire unless it's economically worth it down the road.

I would like a modular PS and have been debating between these Corsair PS's after reading lots of good things about them.
520W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001
620W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139002

Problem being money. I have a $100 gift certificate to NewEgg and am short on cash flow lately. Trying to avoid eating Ramen Noodles for the next few months, so would need to get the PS from NewEgg and I'm having a hard time justifying $50 more for 100W unless my current setup and pending upgrades are "requiring" the extra 100W.

So my questions are:
1) Do I need the 620W or will the 520W do just fine for my setup and pending future upgrades?
2) Are there any other better options for under $137.82 from NewEgg?

Thanks Dave. Good readings on your stickies, helped me out a lot.

Jonny's reviews were a very big help as well.

Are there any other PS's that Dave, Jonny, Red, or anyone would recommend for my setup that would be equally as good for that price or cheaper? Or is going with the Corsair 520W going to make me [H]ard and extremely happy and I'm not going to have to worry with the peace that it's going to bring me?

Just do it up...520w, if you get the order in today, you might have it by the weekend...

Well you can stare at the screen a lot longer and order it in a month, or just do it now... :D

I'm going to take Dave's advice and Jonny's advice from other threads and order the Corsair 520W on Friday (pay day). I'm sure I'm going to be happy pulling the trigger on the Corsair. :D

cpajr25 said:
I'm going to take Dave's advice and Jonny's advice from other threads and order the Corsair 520W on Friday (pay day). I'm sure I'm going to be happy pulling the trigger on the Corsair. :D

Thanks a lot, we appreciate the business.

Back