Corruption at stock speeds?

Abit667

Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
972
I just got a PowerColor 4830 and have noticed some odd issues--wondering if I should RMA it.

First, I get image corruption (random violet/black grids over textures, snow effect, etc) at the stock clock speeds with plenty of cooling. It will only be like one little glitch that lasts for not even a second every minute or so, but it's still happening in almost any game. It has however, never crashed or done anything to ruin the gameplay, it's just annoying so far. I would think was a driver thing or something, except for the second issue:

If I overclock the card at all, and a lot of people have shown pretty nice oc's on this card, the corruption get's A LOT worse in games, sometimes to the point where it's unplayable and the screen becomes permanently glitched out until I quit. This is even like a 5mhz overclock.

The temps are all good so it's definitely not a cooling issue. What's also weird is that running games in a window have much less to no glitching, and the FAH GPU client will run fine for days. The problems are the worst fullscreen.

This sound like somethings wrong with the card or is there anything else I can try?
 
I fixed this issue, and there was nothing wrong with the card.

When I had the problems mentioned above I was running an nForce 4 SLI board with a 4000+. I upgraded to a 780G board with an X2 at 2.6Ghz and I haven't had a single corruption issue. Also got 40-60% gains in every game, which seems really unusual.
 
I fixed this issue, and there was nothing wrong with the card.

When I had the problems mentioned above I was running an nForce 4 SLI board with a 4000+. I upgraded to a 780G board with an X2 at 2.6Ghz and I haven't had a single corruption issue. Also got 40-60% gains in every game, which seems really unusual.
um that gain was not unusual at all. you had freaking single core cpu bottlenecking the hell out of the 4830. do you really think it was smart to even put a card like that with a single core cpu in the first place?to be honest even that X2 at 2.6 is hurting your performance compared to a much better cpu like an E8400 or so. regardless of this bs you hear about a cpu not being important its best to try and have a balanced system.
 
um that gain was not unusual at all. you had freaking single core cpu bottlenecking the hell out of the 4830. do you really think it was smart to even put a card like that with a single core cpu in the first place?to be honest even that X2 at 2.6 is hurting your performance compared to a much better cpu like an E8400 or so. regardless of this bs you hear about a cpu not being important its best to try and have a balanced system.

I probably should have worded that a little better. I knew the single core 4000+ was going to be holding it back which is why I was planning to upgrade anyway, I was just surprised to see almost double the frame rate in some cases. Especially in older games, for instance DoD:S for example. I run 1600x1200, max settings, 4x AA 16x AF, the nf4 and 4000+ got a steady 30fps, now I'm getting 50-80 and over 120 in hallways and stuff.

And I got my X2 BE-2400 up to 2.87 now :)
 
Back
Top