• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corruption and Defragging

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
2,744
Do to my incompetence I have caused roughly 40K via chkdsk in corrupted sectors on my hd.

Lack of defragging, power outages and other factors have also played a factor.

Anyway, this drive is badly in need of defragging but i don't want to spread the sectors any further and I am unable to repair the disk via chkdsk or check via WD diagnostic disk how to fix it or locate further those areas, due to stalling of programs when it reaches that area.

What is specifically my next step? I have started to move key files off. I am able to boot and run programs too. I have had problems with initial startup of programs, xp, and specifically sagetv thus far.

Is it time to chuck the drive and move on or what can I do? I read parts of corruption 101 and understand my problem just not the solution.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks
 
If you're getting bad sectors backup all your data, by a new drive and toss the old one.
 
Back
Top