• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Correct vcore 1055T?

asnorton44

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
8
I have a Phenom II X6 1055T with a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 motherboard. Right now I am using the stock fan, but will soon upgrade to a Coolermaster Hyper Evo. I have noticed my case feels hot and the stock ran seems to run at 100% all the time. My motherboard defaults the vcore to 1.425V which I believe is too high, I reset it to 1.35V and seems to be cooler. Anyone know what a safe vcore for a stock 1055T would be? Thanks.
 
AMD says 1.125-1.40 Volts for a 1055T.

There is no one Correct Voltage. Depends on chip/mobo, and your preferences (stability VS. heat for stock clocks) or the other side of the spectrum intense overclocking + stability. I like running IBT, 3D Mark Vantage, Metro 2033, or Handbrake. It's all preference. CPU's are not delicate flowers. A generic/average VCore would be like 1.300Volts I think, but it's always best to find the coolest most stable clock that satisfys your performance goal in my experience.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
 
Okay thanks. I'm going to keep it at 1.35V for now and go from there when my Coolermaster Hyper Evo comes.
 
the stock voltage should be 1.32v as the fail safe default voltage(even though its still higher then it actually should be). check your motherboard bios and see if gigabyte released a bios that fixes the stock voltage for the x6's. i know the initial bios for the x6's on almost all the motherboards that support them are wrong which use the 1.425v setting. the actual stock voltage is between 1.25-1.28v. but if you plan on overclocking its not really a big deal which one you use.
 
I don't think there is such a thing as a "stock voltage" for thubans. Every chip has a different vid.

This is basically what I found after scouring the internet for hours. Thuban usually ranges in the 1.3 to 1.35v range for stock voltage though, although I'm pretty sure you can undervolt that 1055T to maybe 1.25v or less.
 
Sorry to bump such an old thread. Just thought I'd provide what might be considered useful information even today.

I recently upgraded a client's CPU to a Phenom II x6 1055T (125 W TDP) complete with stock HSF. The motherboard is an Asus M2N68-VM/AM2+, which claims support for the 1055T as long as you have the latest 1006 BIOS).

So to work I went on the upgrade. The (new) thermal compound consisted of white Antec stuff that cheap to buy and performs well compared to the competition.

All was working fine, except for one thing...yep you guessed it: the vCore was set to 1.425v, which seemed needlessly high. According to CPU-World the parameters for this CPU are 1.15V - 1.475V at the rated frequency.

Maybe a BIOS setting could help out? No chance. Further, any Windows-based software from Asus did not appear to be forthcoming. AMD Overdrive was out of the question as I'm using an nVidia chip-set.

Finally I happened across a great little program called PhenomMsrTweaker. This tiny program allows real-time adjustment of your Phenom's P state settings, including multiplier and vCore. Can also run on Windows start-up.

To my delight this actually worked :)

With regards to sirmonkey1985's post. I'm quite dismayed at how some motherboard manufacturers failed to provide a suitable fix. Since Thuban-based CPUs are still fairly popular it leads me to question just how many customers are still suffering unnecessary heat and noise levels..


Test Procedure and Results

For the sake of simplicity and to facilitate easy over-clocking I disabled 'Turbo Core' and 'Cool and Quiet' in the BIOS. I then set ALL P states to 1.20v, reported as 1.232v under CPU-Z (the reading I go by).

System Setup:

CPU OPN: HDT55TFBK6DGR
Case: Midi-ATX
Case cooling: None
PSU: 500 W
Discrete GPU: None
HDD: 1 x SATA
RAM: 4 x 1GB PC5300
Ambient room temp: 23 C


Results - Idle:

vCore: 1.232v
Core clock: 2.8 GHz (Turbo Core & Cool 'n' Quiet disabled)
CPU temp: 41 C
Case temp: 39 C
Fan speed: 3100 rpm


Results - Load:

CPU temp: 55 C (max)
Case temp: 45 C
Fan speed: 5759 rpm

One-hour Prime95 test: pass.
Five-day general usage test: pass.

I am confident the core voltage can be lowered further but unfortunately I don't have the time to test. If you're interested, the folks over at BeHardware got both the same CPU and the 1090T down to 1.8 v @ 3.2 GHz.
 
Last edited:
Yes this was an issue since the Thuban release. I guess I can understand why in the time since, they wouldn't issue an updated BIOS that lowered the voltage just over the tiny potential of it making a few chips unstable and getting all kinds of flak... AMD doesn't do the same kind of fine-grained VID binning that Intel does and a lot of motherboards will simply default to a high VID for every chip instead of using the VID the chip was programmed at. I believe a tiny portion of the motherboards on the market at the time would default to the real VID and that's how users were able to determine that there was an actual range of VIDs present. As far as I know*, previous to that generation AMD chips were all programmed at the same VID per SKU. There could be some variation with a lower wattage model using the same model name, but the retail boxes would designate the wattage and the SKU would be different.

*Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)
 
I never tried the Ph ll .. Ide trade a fx 8350 thats not in use for a 1055 T or up.
 
Back
Top