Correct install process

Building a pc from the ground up with just an ssd for the first time. Is there any specific process i should follow? I have win 7 ultimate with the correct win 10 on usb. I would just like to know what programs to install first or what settings i need to change. are there any good guides out there? when do i back up or restore? how do i go about that? etc. thanks for the help guys i just want to do this right.

Do you want to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 right away?

If this is a clean install there's no need to install Windows 7 first. With the current version of Windows 10 you can just install it and activate it using the Windows 7 key you have.

Yeah, clean install: install Windows 10 directly using your Windows 7 key. Installing Windows 7 first in this case is a total waste of your time.

Building a pc from the ground up with just an ssd for the first time. Is there any specific process i should follow? I have win 7 ultimate with the correct win 10 on usb. I would just like to know what programs to install first or what settings i need to change. are there any good guides out there? when do i back up or restore? how do i go about that? etc. thanks for the help guys i just want to do this right.

I used this as a guide, very good and detailed.
Windows 10 Tutorials

ok I tried installing windows 10 right away with my windows 7 key and it say that is an invalid key due to another system (my old computer) using that key currently

Last edited:
Alright I had to call MS to get it activated. I have no idea what i will do when i try to reinstall windows down the road...

Alright I had to call MS to get it activated. I have no idea what i will do when i try to reinstall windows down the road...
if its a retail key then you just call again as before....once windows 10 is fully activated it wont be using the win 7 serial anymore. its only a one time deal for win 10 with that key is all......you can still use the win 7 on a different pc as before

if its a retail key then you just call again as before....once windows 10 is fully activated it wont be using the win 7 serial anymore. its only a one time deal for win 10 with that key is all......you can still use the win 7 on a different pc as before
Nope sorry he used that key to upgrade to Win 10. By the EULA that key is no longer valid for a windows 7 install. Whether they will check and blacklist it is up for debate but technically for all intents and purposes that windows 7 key is now invalid for use on another pc.

Nope sorry he used that key to upgrade to Win 10. By the EULA that key is no longer valid for a windows 7 install. Whether they will check and blacklist it is up for debate but technically for all intents and purposes that windows 7 key is now invalid for use on another pc.

"I believe" your wrong about that...thats why they call win 10 really free. look it up. It has something to do with the new digital entitlement that 10 uses after being registered instead of serials. Most he would have to do is get it cleared to use on a different pc the way i understand it. Now he cant go out and get win 10 free again with that same serial yea that part is done. If it was an oem serial that would also be completely different.

Last edited:
Not correct. The 7 license is always in use as the full product and 10 license is the upgrade product.

This is correct.

no your wrong about that...thats why they call win 10 really free. look it up. It has something to do with the new digital entitlement that 10 uses instead of serials. most he would have to do is get it cleared to use on a different pc the way i understand it. Now he cant go out and get win 10 free again with that same serial yea that part is done. If it was an oem serial that would also be completely different.
Think of the key's as a license.

If you use the Windows 7 license to upgrade to 10, as long as that free upgraded 10 is still in use, you cannot re-use the 7 key on something else (have both OSes going at the same time) because the 7 license is consumed by the upgrade. Even if you reinstall 10 (without typing in the key, using digital entitlement activation) you qualified that machine's free upgrade by having a licensed 7 product and cannot reuse the 7 key.

Now if you decide you don't want 10 anymore and want to go back to 7 you can wipe it and reinstall 7. Or you can wipe the drive and re-use the 7 key on something else, again as long as the upgraded 10 is no longer used.

This policy has always been in place. If you had full Vista and buy a 7 upgrade, you can't then reuse Vista key on something else. if you have full 7 and buy a Windows 8 upgrade you cannot reuse 7 on something else. It's no different with 10 other than 10 is free. The license you upgraded is now invalid to be reused unless you wipe the 10. Then you can reuse 7 on the same machine or transfer the key to another machine as long as the upgraded OS is wiped.

Last edited:
Its entirely possible i miss understood how it works but look at it this way...lets say you wipe the windows 10 machine that used the 7 serial for activation. Install a clean windows 10 it again..this time you never use the serial like last time. How can windows (Microsoft) claim that serial is still in use?

edit: i reread what you wrote and yea i guess it confusing a bit right? Not claiming your incorrect as i get things wrong all the time lol i guess where i had wrong was using them at the same time

Its entirely possible i miss understood how it works but look at it this way...lets say you wipe the windows 10 machine that used the 7 serial for activation. Install a clean windows 10 it again..this time you never use the serial like last time. How can windows (Microsoft) claim that serial is still in use?
Like I pointed out that's called Digital Entitlement when you reactivate without the key. However, the 10 Upgrade license never would of been activated on that system had it not be upgraded from a legit 7 or 8 license.

Back