I know this is problem an odd thing to talk about on a website like this. Personally I would rather never have to use a Dell computer.
Where I am working, Dell is the only brand that is used. The computer I work on everyday is a GX620 which has a 3.0GHz P4 HT and 2GB of RAM. It has XP Pro SP3, AES-256 encryption, Office 2003, Symantec Enterprise Protection for AV, and some other basic applications. The computer works perfectly fine for what I do, and most clients using the same computer don't seem to have issues either. Although there are better models also in use.
Our company has absolutely no refresh cycle for hardware or software, but they are trying to standardize everything. I was asked to help in choosing future models to purchase. Although for the past couple of months, the only desktop model available to clients is the Optiplex 960. This has a minimum CPU of a Core 2 Duo 8400 and everyone gets 4GB of RAM. I don't know what our discounted price is, but the pricing online is just over $1,000 for large corporations. This obviously is very excessive for the majority of our users. I understand if the company wants only one model desktop which is why I suggested the Optiplex 780. It is very similar to the 960, but can be configured with much less expensive CPUs and can also go all the way up to a Core 2 Quad. This to me seems like the most versatile model and best option for cost savings.
As it stands, this company has never even tested Windows 7 on any of the hardware we currently have. The plan is to build a Windows 7 image by the end of the year. Which means we will just have started testing it going into 2011 and probably won't be officially rolled out until 2012.
What I can't understand is why we would spend the most amount of money on desktop computers still running Core 2 Duos and DDR2 memory. This technology is already being replaced. Hell, we could buy a better Dell Precision with a Core i5 and DDR3 for the same amount of money. Of course our standard end users don't need this, nor do they need a 960.
Can anyone make sense of this, or give me an idea of what your company might be doing with their desktop computers?
Did I mention that this company also uses more laptops than desktop computers even though the clients only work in one office and have no reason to work from home? We have enough monitors already, and the laptops cost about $600-700 more. On top of which, every new Optiplex 960 (desktop) that has been bought comes with a 2.5" hard drive. Yeah, the kind of hard drive that costs more and runs slower. And energy savings wasn't the excuse for getting them. Lack of knowledge was. One engineer actually told me there was no performance difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 with the same specs.
Where I am working, Dell is the only brand that is used. The computer I work on everyday is a GX620 which has a 3.0GHz P4 HT and 2GB of RAM. It has XP Pro SP3, AES-256 encryption, Office 2003, Symantec Enterprise Protection for AV, and some other basic applications. The computer works perfectly fine for what I do, and most clients using the same computer don't seem to have issues either. Although there are better models also in use.
Our company has absolutely no refresh cycle for hardware or software, but they are trying to standardize everything. I was asked to help in choosing future models to purchase. Although for the past couple of months, the only desktop model available to clients is the Optiplex 960. This has a minimum CPU of a Core 2 Duo 8400 and everyone gets 4GB of RAM. I don't know what our discounted price is, but the pricing online is just over $1,000 for large corporations. This obviously is very excessive for the majority of our users. I understand if the company wants only one model desktop which is why I suggested the Optiplex 780. It is very similar to the 960, but can be configured with much less expensive CPUs and can also go all the way up to a Core 2 Quad. This to me seems like the most versatile model and best option for cost savings.
As it stands, this company has never even tested Windows 7 on any of the hardware we currently have. The plan is to build a Windows 7 image by the end of the year. Which means we will just have started testing it going into 2011 and probably won't be officially rolled out until 2012.
What I can't understand is why we would spend the most amount of money on desktop computers still running Core 2 Duos and DDR2 memory. This technology is already being replaced. Hell, we could buy a better Dell Precision with a Core i5 and DDR3 for the same amount of money. Of course our standard end users don't need this, nor do they need a 960.
Can anyone make sense of this, or give me an idea of what your company might be doing with their desktop computers?
Did I mention that this company also uses more laptops than desktop computers even though the clients only work in one office and have no reason to work from home? We have enough monitors already, and the laptops cost about $600-700 more. On top of which, every new Optiplex 960 (desktop) that has been bought comes with a 2.5" hard drive. Yeah, the kind of hard drive that costs more and runs slower. And energy savings wasn't the excuse for getting them. Lack of knowledge was. One engineer actually told me there was no performance difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 with the same specs.