Cores 5C apart

Since installing my new arctic cooler 64 cpu cooler the temp difference between the two cores of my fx-60 are about 5C at idle. this prompted me to check very closely the contact that the cooler was making with the heat spreader and reapply some tim (as5), no difference. could it be the weight of the heatsink pulling the contact away from the top of my cpu? this cooler does not use a back plate. when stressing the cores that temp difference comes within 4-5C of each other. when i had my stock heatpipe cooler installed i can't recall if there was much temp difference. anyone else with this cooler have similar results?

Hell, on my opty 165 their 12c apart. I freaked out at first, but the contact is smooth across the chip, I still don't know why the spread is so great, but its never been an issue

x2 3800 runs a couple degress differnce on each core usely 4-6 degrees never been a problem

The IHS probably has poor contact with the core.... I decapped my Opty 175 to get rid of the huge temp difference between the cores.. Dropped over 15C at full load on Orthos from removing the IHS... this was after I had already lapped the IHS and the heatsink which only brought the temps down about 3C.

The IHS probably has poor contact with the core.... I decapped my Opty 175 to get rid of the huge temp difference between the cores.. Dropped over 15C at full load on Orthos from removing the IHS... this was after I had already lapped the IHS and the heatsink which only brought the temps down about 3C.

I'm gonna be in my case in a few days when my new 8800GTS gets here, Could you provide a howto or a link to one regarding the process involved? Is it as simple as, pry the IHS off with a screwdriver? I've never done it, and don't wana kill my 165, its a GREAT chip. If I could drop the tempts 15c I could do 3.0Ghz Stable with this little thing...

I should note I use a Ninja heatsink, its big....and heavy, whats the risk of cracking a core?

Arg, Well.....today I put in my new GTS640, I took the time to pull the HSF, lap it, clean the cpu and the HSF, and remove all thermal compound....I then put new AS5 on it,reseated the HSF, made sure it was even across the IHS, everything looked great

I boot, and guess what? I did get a 2c decrease in temps on both cores, but, now one core idles at 37, and the other at 24...

Damnit. Seems the only way I might be able to even the temps out is to remove the IHS, and I'm a little afraid to do that...I love this opty, I would HATE to damage it :(

I'm gonna be in my case in a few days when my new 8800GTS gets here, Could you provide a howto or a link to one regarding the process involved? Is it as simple as, pry the IHS off with a screwdriver? I've never done it, and don't wana kill my 165, its a GREAT chip. If I could drop the tempts 15c I could do 3.0Ghz Stable with this little thing...
Here is an excellent guide http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30464

One question regarding removal of the IHS, is the huge temp. change most people get represent actual CPU temp. or is the temp. lower because the ti is picking up the the cooling block temp ?

My Opty 185 is running 2-10c apart when at idle.

Lox

Back