• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core2 & Dell Inspiron 6000?

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
1,711
Could anyone tell me if an Intel Core2 CPU would work in my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook (and if Dell's latest BIOS for this notebook will support a Core2)? I have read that the socket type in this notebook is socket M.

Thanks!
 
I can't tell you about the BIOS, but there are some older Core 2 Duos which will work in Socket M - the Merom lines. Not every Core 2 Duo will, though. Is your CPU definitely upgradeable? Not every laptop CPU is - some are soldered.
 
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have support.

But check on Dell's website, and look for an updated BIOS. If it says anywhere regarding 'Has Support for Intel's newer Core 2 Duo / Core Duo CPU' then yes.
 
Thanks for the replies. Regarding my latest BIOS (and boy does this show my laptop's age) here is the info I found on Dell's site (for the latest BIOS of the Inspiron 6000:

Systems: Dell Inspiron 6000 Series
Version: A09
Build Date: 09/28/2005


Intel 915GM Graphics Video BIOS version 1219
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Video BIOS version 8.17M.192.068


Enhancements:
=============

1. Added support for Absolute Computrace Security Solution Feature.
2. Added support for Battery Health Meter(BHM) in System Setup.
3. Optimize the battery charging algorithm.
4. Added a field in System Setup for HDD Acoustic Mode.


The BIOS release has been validated on the following operating system:
1. Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
2. Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2

I would assume that because this was compiled in 2005, that there is no C2D support.

I will search around on Dell's support forums to try and figure out if the C2D is compatible with my laptop or not.
 
And I believe you need a 945 chipset to support Intel merom CPUs.

*off topic, typing this using my Nintendo Wii. :)
 
Back
Top