Core temps!

what do you think is too high under load?

• 50-55c

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • 55-60c

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 60-65c

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • 65-70c

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • 70-75c

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • 75-80c

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • 80-85c

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • 85+

Votes: 31 25.4%

• Total voters
I get worried if mine tops over 55c. It idles at 38c. Though I voted thinking only about my card. Anything over 85 on any card is very bad.

I think 70-75 is as high as it should get and consistently having it anywhere over that is probably gonna if nothing else shorten the life of the card and probably make it more unstable.

dammit, I thought I was in the cpu forum. I messed up my vote lol. I meant to pick 85+.

nobi125 said:
Your overclock is too high then.
The card is stock :rolleyes:

But as long as the temps stay below that, the card works fine, so I don't really see how there is a problem. The only time it has ever been an issue is when I turn my case fans way down at night and forget to turn them back up in the morning.

GotNoRice said:
The card is stock :rolleyes:

But as long as the temps stay below that, the card works fine, so I don't really see how there is a problem. The only time it has ever been an issue is when I turn my case fans way down at night and forget to turn them back up in the morning.

Sounds like you got a dud :rolleyes:

80+ For most video cards, although it's good to stay under 70C, I think newer video cards can handle like 100C, but I wouldn't run one at that temp as lifespan would probably be drasticly reduced.

What are 7800GTX SLi users getting under load? From what I've been reading 85 degrees seems to be the norm for stock air....so I'd guess anything around/under that is fine.

85+ is where it starts to get slightly worrysome, anything below that is fine and the cards are DESIGNED for it, so to say its too hot is just your own personal fear not reality.

i picked anything over 80c
like previous posters said GPUs run hot and can handle the heat.

GotNoRice said:
My X800XTPE starts having issues at about 68C.
x800xt software doesnt shutdown the computer until after they hit 105 degrees! I have tested this (heatsink was not secure) and my computer only froze once out of about ten tries. Video card and computer ran fine and artifact free the other 9 times.

PS. I would have picked over 90 degree if there was an option for it. Most video cards were designed to run prefect between 80-90 degrees.

My 1900XTX hits 65 - 72c during load. About 44 when idle.

At first I was kind of paranoid becuz my Gainward 6800GT
with custom air cooling never went beyond 60c.

Firebat said:
What do you guys consider too high for core temperatures under load?
kind of depends on the architecture. 90c or even a bit higher is fine on r5xx, but it certainly would be bad on G7x

Nvidia GPUs don't throttle til they reach about 110c. 80 is perfectly normal. If you don't get any errors in ATItool you shouldn't worry about the temperature at all.

Did the ones who selected 50-55c understand the question? My 7800gtx idles at 50c (45 on a cold day). :)

None of the above. All current GPU's can run at high temps. If I recall, NV's doesnt have the warning/throttling till 120c? Far above what this poll is limited to.

fallguy said:
None of the above. All current GPU's can run at high temps. If I recall, NV's doesnt have the warning/throttling till 120c? Far above what this poll is limited to.

Note the 85+ option.

Firebat said:
Note the 85+ option.

I dont consider 85+ too hot. The card will throttle itself down if it gets too hot, which wont happen anyways. So the 120c throttling point is moot. My 6800GT got in the 90's, that wasnt too hot.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
ROFL

Owned. :D

Are you 12?

It is limited. It starts at 50c? Thats a limit. It doesnt have enough options for higher temps, thats limited. We obviously dont agree, why you had to make such a fuss over it, I dont know. Is this where I go "ROLFMAO @@!!!@! PWNED!" ? Do you understand that language better?

In any event, this is going off topic. Carry on with your poll. Im done responding/viewing, its not helping.

fallguy said:
It is limited. It starts at 50c? Thats a limit. It doesnt have enough options for higher temps, thats limited. We obviously dont agree, why you had to make such a fuss over it, I dont know. Is this where I go "ROLFMAO @@!!!@! PWNED!" ? Do you understand that language better?

In any event, this is going off topic. Carry on with your poll. Im done responding/viewing, its not helping.

Ok, but you could have just selected the 85+ option and explained your answer in a respectful manner. But if you must complain about the poll, than so be it :confused:

the 6800 cores anywhere around 100 c is fine, I think any of the chips with low-k probably lower at around 80 c.

Really depends on which manufacturing process and how the chips were made for the temps they can handle.

My 6800gt routinely hits low-mid 80's under extended load, and it's only got a little baby OC of 25/50. It's even touched 90 for brief moments back when it was still hot outside (no AC in the dorm room). No signs of problems to date, I've had it for about 9 months and game routinely on it.

My BFG card hits well over a 110C underload causing the card to artifact and lockup at stock speeds. Lowering the core to 330 seems to fix the problems, however. I had initally though that the high temps might be causing the issues, but BFG told me that their 6800GT cards are safe up until 120C and that the problem must lie somewhere else in my machine. Still seems pretty toasty to me!

my pny 6800gt would cause my system to reboot when playing oblivion and where the temp got to about 76c

You can't just make a generalization for all cards, some gpu cores can handle the heat, others can't. It really depends on what you're using. For my card, however, I would start to get worried if the temps reached 75C. Other than that, if I noticed artifacts or other issues, then I would judge accordingly. The hottest i've seen my 6800gs get is 61C under load (stock speeds, at least for now hehe :D ).

loafer87gt said:
My BFG card hits well over a 110C...

WHEW!! That's pretty warm :p

Well, I have 3 cards.

My 2 7900GTs rarely get above 60C, and idle in the low 40s, but my 6800GT idles about 55-60 and gets about 70-80 under load, so differences in cards I guess.

Back