core temp vs speedfan

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
which is more accurate to the real temp of my cpu temp?
e6600
core temp idels around 34C, speedfan idels around 42C. stock cooling.

and two questions

on speedfan i have four speed things
Speed01, 02, and 03 all say 100%. but speed 04 says 1%

and is there any way to monitor yr temps while u were playing games?

which is more accurate to the real temp of my cpu temp?
e6600
core temp idels around 34C, speedfan idels around 42C. stock cooling.

and two questions

on speedfan i have four speed things
Speed01, 02, and 03 all say 100%. but speed 04 says 1%

and is there any way to monitor yr temps while u were playing games?

I believe coretemp takes its reading directly from the CPU, instead on a sensor on the mobo, so I'd trust that instead, even though many are saying that it isn't "calibrated" correctly.

Speedfan: dunno, don't use it.
Monitor temps during games: Alt+Tab (that's what I do) ;) or you can set up a second display (if your card supports it) and run your game on primary screen while you monitor temps on secondary screen.

MBM5 has a CoreTemp plugin, which seems to work well. MBM5 also has an OSD, which will show you on top of any window what your temps are.

Also, it's "idle". ;)

-bZj

my mistake lol, and can u buy one of those things that goes in ur cd drive bay that show ur temps at a local store like comp usa?
how acurate r they?

I've always had both ,but ever since this post I have been running both side by side ,and core temp fluctuates alot up and down .
(but with me using a mobile on a desktop you will see that ).
But speedfan keeps the constant longer (and that would be the max ) .
What I mean is If you are looking at them on the tool bar side by side
(speedfan keeps the constant high temp .were as core temp (and it's kind of annoying )
shows a constant fluc.of up to 3 or 4 C . back and forth and back and forth .
Could be just my chip with a modded XP-90 .
But both always show the true max core temp .

Use Intel TAT and see what it tells you. That's the only program I'd really trust w/C2D.

TAT doesn't work for all motherboards. Coretemp is the same thing and is more compatible. I use both and they are pretty much right on +/- a degree or two. Both TAT and core temp have logging features so you can log temps while you work/game.

TAT doesn't work for all motherboards. Coretemp is the same thing and is more compatible. I use both and they are pretty much right on +/- a degree or two. Both TAT and core temp have logging features so you can log temps while you work/game.

TAT should work with all chipsets designed for C2D (and w/C2D CPUs only), which may exclude certain shoehorned 945 type boards, but of course YMMV. Personally I had no issues with three different 965 based boards.

The advantage w/TAT in my book is it has a built in CPU loading utility that's better than the FPU oriented ones like Orthos. Fire up Orthos and TAT, and your CPU will go to 100% load and reach a certain temperature. Now start the TAT CPU loading utility and your temps will probably go up by another 3-5C.

TAT should work with all chipsets designed for C2D (and w/C2D CPUs only), which may exclude certain shoehorned 945 type boards, but of course YMMV. Personally I had no issues with three different 965 based boards.

The advantage w/TAT in my book is it has a built in CPU loading utility that's better than the FPU oriented ones like Orthos. Fire up Orthos and TAT, and your CPU will go to 100% load and reach a certain temperature. Now start the TAT CPU loading utility and your temps will probably go up by another 3-5C.

Some people with the 600i series have problems.

If you're gaming and want to see temps, you could also use Rivatuner with the C2D plugin. It's got an on-screen display while gaming so no need for alt-tabbing.

this is a little weird on coretemp for both core #0 and #1 it says " 85C (?) "

alt tabbing to see your load temp is completly wrong, by the time your back in windows your temp has changed, set up the monitering in speedfan and go back and look at the history

this is a little weird on coretemp for both core #0 and #1 it says " 85C (?) "

I've had this happen when I already had TAT running and then I launched Core Temp. Some kind of conflict? Be sure you're not running TAT and just launch Core Temp. Does it still do it?

my mistake lol, and can u buy one of those things that goes in ur cd drive bay that show ur temps at a local store like comp usa?
how acurate r they?
The bay devices won't give you an accurate reading, b/c it will be from a diode outside the core - not even close to the core w/o a lot of work, given IHSes. I have a CoolDrive6, and it is only good for getting an idea of what you system temps are... and looking kinda cool. :)

-bZj

TAT seems accurate to me. CoreTemp reports nearly the same temps, but it jumps up and down 5*C often, doesn't make sense.

I use coretemp and speedfan beta and they show the same temps for each core....

Back